4 students murdered by US forces on a university campus in Ohio. 40th anniversar

Started by give her dixie, May 04, 2010, 12:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

I visited Kent State and picked daffs on Blanket Hill a number of years back dixie, to me it's one of the massacres that the US have conveniently forgotten about though some former students and students still remember it every year.  I don't know the full extent of this but I do know that a lot of people in Ohio are traumatised that it happened at all, that their army fired on its own peaceful civilians
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Puckoon

Dixie Id expect better from you regarding the title. Thats very tabloid esque.

Tyrones own

what a f**king plonker.....give them enough rope eh!
Why dont you put yourself out of your own misery and move out to be with your Hamas hero's in the desert where ye can all sit around and have a proper hatefest uninterupted by us western no-gooders.

I remember you were fairly fond of the auld attention in school and I see things have only progressed!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

AZOffaly

Undoubtedly an overreaction from the militia, with tragic consequences, but there was a few days of unrest there in a town that probably wasn't able to deal with it.

There was rioting, and an ROTC building burnt down.

Add some callow militia to a situation like that with students egging each other on and 'sticking it to the man'. It's a recipe for disaster.

JimStynes

I agree misleading title, i dont really care that much for what happened in America 40 years ago. Why this particular topic by the way? Worse things happen around the world every day and dont get a mention by yourself.

AZOffaly

Not trying to answer for the thread starter (I agree the title is misleading, I thought there'd been another tragedy over there last night) but this was a pretty iconic event in fairness. It epitomised in one event the hassle that was going on in the states between the establishment and the liberal movement (including a lot of students) who wanted to end Vietnam.

It's true that worse massacres take place practically every week around the world at this stage, but the thing about Kent State is what it represented.

White government militia/national guardsmen firing live rounds at white middle class students, on American soil.

Pretty dramatic stuff in fairness.

seafoid

It probably opened the eyes of a lot of people and made them think differently about all the bullshit about freedom that they are fed in daily life by their loving media.
Cindy Sheehan was very good talking about this after her son Casey died in Iraq.   

Massey-135

Quote from: JimStynes on May 04, 2010, 04:24:26 PM
I agree misleading title, i dont really care that much for what happened in America 40 years ago. Why this particular topic by the way? Worse things happen around the world every day and dont get a mention by yourself.

sure you still hear bloody sunday mentioned every week here

give her dixie

Title changed, after intense pressure from fellow board members......
Point taken on baord folks, and apologies to those who were offended by it.

Click on the following link for an interview with Elaine Holstein, mother of one of the men killed.
Plus, footage and still from that fateful day 40 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA2x_6G68Hc&feature=player_embedded
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

stew

Because the muppet who started the thread hate the yanks and the jews and tries to show America in the worst light possible every time he posts.

Were was the fcuker when genocide was going on in places like Rwanda or were is his morale outrage when the Muslims lop off the head of Christians with a knife?

This is a monkey that even has a problem with white people who own homes going to football games on friday nights, that hunt and shoot, I believe he called them White america, the irony is he is too stupid to figure out that it was big bad white America that Got Obama elected, without middles class Americas vots he would be a senator in Illinois.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: Puckoon on May 04, 2010, 06:48:42 PM
You've got your posters mixed up stew.

Careful now....he has a gun....and he's not afraid to use it :D
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

magickingdom

Quote from: Puckoon on May 04, 2010, 03:42:08 PM
Dixie Id expect better from you regarding the title. Thats very tabloid esque.

its exactly what id expect from him

seafoid

Quote from: stew on May 04, 2010, 06:46:12 PM

Because the muppet who started the thread hate the yanks and the jews and tries to show America in the worst light possible every time he posts.

What have you got against the Palestinians? Aren't they as good as Israelis? Don't they deserve the right to work ? 

BTW Obama didn't get a majority of white votes when he was elected.

magickingdom