Galway v New York..

Started by Midlands Man, May 01, 2010, 02:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Why did you have to put that in quotes? Makes it fierce hard to read or is it just me?

shaund10

Poorly written match report there from John Fallon. It was 2-13, Clancy and Cummins both got points and P.Joyce never won footballer of the year

NetNitrate

Galway very lucky to get out of Gaelic Park alive yesterday. There was only 1 point in it in the second half and all the momentum was with NY when ref sent off the 2 New York lads in quick succession. They also happened to be two of New York's best players. Even then Galway struggled to pull away. In fairness, it was extremely hot and suffocating weather. But only for Joyce's accuracy and class and ability to score from anywhere without using too much energy, Galway would certainly have suffered a shock defeat. They got cleaned in midfield and physically out muscled by the New York lads. The ref was throwing around yellow cards like confetti and Tommy Smyth, with mic in hand, was on the sideline trying to get the crowd going. All in all an entertaining enough game.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: shaund10 on May 03, 2010, 11:04:39 AM
Poorly written match report there from John Fallon. It was 2-13, Clancy and Cummins both got points and P.Joyce never won footballer of the year

PJ was footballer of the year in 2001.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ross4life on May 02, 2010, 11:09:44 PM
Every time Galway or Mayo have beaten New York they have gone on to win Nestor i wonder will that little stat change this year?

Yes. Sligo are going to be hot favourites now.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mannix

Farrandeelin, is that smoke I see coming of your post?
Poor Sligo.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 03, 2010, 01:55:45 PM
Quote from: ross4life on May 02, 2010, 11:09:44 PM
Every time Galway or Mayo have beaten New York they have gone on to win Nestor i wonder will that little stat change this year?

Yes. Sligo are going to be hot favourites now.

LOL :D

The bookies are rarely wrong and Sligo are 5 favs for connacht, Mayo, Galway, Roscommon, Leitrim and then Sligo ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

seafoid

Sligo never really built on 2007, did they ? what happened? I had great hopes for Sligo after that year early on in the decade when they built up a good head of steam in the qualifiers.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: seafoid on May 03, 2010, 02:54:16 PM
Sligo never really built on 2007, did they ? what happened? I had great hopes for Sligo after that year early on in the decade when they built up a good head of steam in the qualifiers.
Well in 2008 the players lost focus and the atitude and training wasnt there, we hadnt a great manager that yr either. The players are still there, and weve added alot of better players than 07. This team would hammer the 07 team. Not sure how we will do in Connacht but were expecting a long summer of football. Also this team is argubaly better than 02 aswell. There are some serious players to come through in the next 2/3 yrs aswell from what ive seen since i came home. We are going to be seriously competitive for the next 5-7 yrs at least.

mannix

Sligonian, if your lads beat Mayo i will be happy for you, but you do get too excited for your own good about a few wins when its no big deal. it must be a western thing.
nobody in mayo is expecting much and there is really no pressure on the team from within the county from what i hear. REMEMBER. Tyrone were 33/1 in the august before they beat kerry in 2007 AIF SO BOOKIES ARE PLAYING THE ODDS, NOTHING IS CERTAIN.
I have no doubt Sligo have improved, but they still have a very small pool of talent to pick from and there will be limits to the quality available, you seen that yourself when they had kerry by the throat but could not finish them last summer.

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 03, 2010, 03:00:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 03, 2010, 02:54:16 PM
We are going to be seriously competitive for the next 5-7 yrs at least.

Bold Statement there Sligonian Competitive mean's been close in games but still lose or you expect a improvement on last number of years?

Apart from Sligo 2007 Connacht title am i right in saying in the last 7 years your only wins the Connacht Championship was v london?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Beating mayo will be no big deal to us, as we dont get any trophy if we do.  No one is getting carried away. Its a huge task but im looking forward to seeing how we get on.

Ive been to every Connacht Minor league game this yr, 2 of attractas matches, 2 of summerhills, so I ve a fair idea whats coming through, i was at 2 u21 matches aswell and i seen these lads at minor in 07.

I expect us to win Connacht again soon, and at different levels, our seniors in 2/3 yrs will be the best squad Sligo has ever had. What we do with that I dont know..

To say there is no pressure on mayo to beat sligo is false imo...there wont be a mayoman going to that game expecting anything other a mayo win, and if they dont theyll be linched. JOM will be gone, thats pressure.

Ross4life we tend not to look back, weve underachieved since 07..... the future is bright for Sligo whether anyone acknowledges it or not it doesnt matter to me, i believe it to be a certainty.

ross4life

Fair enough Sligonian as the saying goes.. "watch this space" i just hope 2007 wasn't a flash in the pan because Connacht  football long needs a new face 
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 03, 2010, 12:40:48 AM
Australia should be allowed in as well considering all our young immigrants have gone there in recent years.

Can you imagine if this happened? mostly aussie rules players looking forward to the Irish visit  :-\

shaund10

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 03, 2010, 01:22:54 PM
Quote from: shaund10 on May 03, 2010, 11:04:39 AM

PJ was footballer of the year in 2001.

Declan Meehan was footballer of the year in 2001.