Gerry Ryan dead

Started by Minder, April 30, 2010, 02:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Hardy is right.

Gerry Ryan's death has shone yet another light on the shallow and superficial nature of the lives that a lot of (Irish) people lead today. To listen to some of the more effusive outpourings of grief you'd swear they were just after losing their real, actual, flesh and blood, best-friend; not some distant dislocated voice of a very public, in your face, broadcasting persona.

Not that there's anything wrong with such a persona, so long as we remember where to draw the line.  The problem is, a lot of us don't anymore.

Gerry Ryan RIP.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Shamrock Shore

Agree totally with my Horslippian friends from Meath and Strabane.

Jebus - what will the great unwashed be like when Twink pops the clogs?

*pulls chair over to await developments*

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 05, 2010, 10:36:30 AM
He was more than just a normal media personality. He wasn't an actor or a singer, he used his own personality to communicate with people as a form of entertainment and he was a lot closer to the people than  99 of media personalities. This has rightly created a lot of media attention because people really did care about this guy.

Agreed captain. He was  part of ten of thousands of lives in Ireland for years.

haranguerer

Bruce Forsyth is a much bigger star, loved and watched by many more people than Gerry Ryan. Do you think his funeral will be live on the BBC? Its a joke.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: haranguerer on May 05, 2010, 01:33:01 PM
Bruce Forsyth is a much bigger star, loved and watched by many more people than Gerry Ryan. Do you think his funeral will be live on the BBC? Its a joke.
Bruce is still on telly at 80yrs of age, didn't he do well?

The Real Laoislad

I can't believe firstly why anyone is surprised about this and secondly why anyone would be annoyed or care, some of ye have very little to be worrying about.....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

bingobus

It's amazing how some people go out of there way to be "outraged" at stuff. The sooner some surgeon invents an ignore button transplant the better.

We are a nation of small mindedness.

ziggysego

I do agree, the mad showing of grief is a bit much. No harm in expressing sympathy, like myself and many others have, but FFS we aren't English and it isn't Diana Spencer.

How many of the people grieving, were amongst the people complaining about him whilst he was alive?
Testing Accessibility

highorlow

I reckon the public and media reaction is more to do with the suddeness and shock of his death more than anything plus he was only a young man.

Hard to believe that there he was on the radio on Thursday morning broadcasting to approx 500,000 people and the man is dead the following day.

The media will always be the media and in saying all of the above I do agree they have got worse since TV3 and the British tabloids were let into the country.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

FermGael

Fr Trendy con-celebrating mass
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

seafoid

Quote from: ziggysego on May 05, 2010, 02:16:35 PM
I do agree, the mad showing of grief is a bit much. No harm in expressing sympathy, like myself and many others have, but FFS we aren't English and it isn't Diana Spencer.
How many of the people grieving, were amongst the people complaining about him whilst he was alive?

I think it must be linked to the recession and how people feel as a result of that
and there being something to bring people together which happens to be the G Ryan funeral.
I was in Blighty when Diana died. It was weird but there was clearly a need for what happened.

There was a great quote on youtube about that Late Late from someone who must know Ireland well and
said that the show was typical of how Irish people deal with loss- lots of talking and memories

haranguerer

Quote from: bingobus on May 05, 2010, 02:13:50 PM
It's amazing how some people go out of there way to be "outraged" at stuff. The sooner some surgeon invents an ignore button transplant the better.

We are a nation of small mindedness.

Its a manifestation of a nations stupidity and sheep mentality, being fed by the national broadcaster - it really makes you wonder what the country is coming to. People are indifferent to others dying in horrific circumstances every day, but when a minor celebrity dies they are blinded by others and media and actually convince themselves they'll miss him.

For 99.99% of people, there is absolutely no difference between Gerry Ryan having lost his life, and if he'd merely lost his job.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: FermGael on May 05, 2010, 02:59:44 PM
Fr Trendy con-celebrating mass

The media- whore priest, theres a suprise! The most hateful of them all.

longrunsthefox

Some people can't handle others expressing grief. It is wierd. I remember a fellow giving me hell after I told him of the crowd at Cormac McAnallen's wake. He laid into me about. 'Wat the f** is taking you and other people up there/? You didn't know him!! It's a f**ing circus!" The usual Mr Angry sh*t.
Anyway, I gave him  twice as much back and shut him to f**  up. Afterwards the McAnallen family said how they appreciated all the callers to their home and at the wake.
Live and Let Live. If people want to express grief in their way, allow them that. Why does it make people so uncomfortable that they can't just ignore it? 

The Iceman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 05, 2010, 04:47:22 PM
Some people can't handle others expressing grief. It is wierd. I remember a fellow giving me hell after I told him of the crowd at Cormac McAnallen's wake. He laid into me about. 'Wat the f** is taking you and other people up there/? You didn't know him!! It's a f**ing circus!" The usual Mr Angry sh*t.
Anyway, I gave him  twice as much back and shut him to f**  up. Afterwards the McAnallen family said how they appreciated all the callers to their home and at the wake.
Live and Let Live. If people want to express grief in their way, allow them that. Why does it make people so uncomfortable that they can't just ignore it?

I don't think you can compare Cormac to G Ryan now in fairness.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight