Gerry Ryan dead

Started by Minder, April 30, 2010, 02:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

I remember his first morning radio shows in 1988 and there was this camp boy on regularly from Cork, a hairdresser I think, called Terence. It was hilarious. Ryan could be irritating but was class at what he did. Really enjoyed his chats with paul Williams about crime and yer man who did the soccer. He was very good about legal matters and crime. Jees! the thought of listening to Nolan now... no thanks!

mylestheslasher

He wouldn't be my cup of tea but I feel sorry for his family and friends to lose someone so young. I have to say though I did enjoy him when he stood in for Pat Kenny on the late late show a while back - which surprised me. By all accounts he did shake up radio from the 70's onward to which we all owe him a debt of gratitude. RIP Gerry Ryan.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 30, 2010, 11:00:06 PM
I remember his first morning radio shows in 1988 and there was this camp boy on regularly from Cork, a hairdresser I think, called Terence. It was hilarious. Ryan could be irritating but was class at what he did. Really enjoyed his chats with paul Williams about crime and yer man who did the soccer. He was very good about legal matters and crime. Jees! the thought of listening to Nolan now... no thanks!
[/quote

he was qualified in Law i think
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 30, 2010, 11:00:06 PM
I remember his first morning radio shows in 1988 and there was this camp boy on regularly from Cork, a hairdresser I think, called Terence. It was hilarious.
Terence aka. John Creedon.

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Celt_Man

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on April 30, 2010, 09:56:44 PM
i live arounfd the corner from his former family house. The amount to papparazzi outside the house this evening was sickening. Like him or loathe him, his family deserve better than that. RIP Gerry.

That really disgusts me...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ONeill

Sorry to hear this. His show always reminds me of being on holidays in Mexico.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Boycey

Was as shocked as anyone yesterday when I heard the news of his untimely death but someones just left today Daily Star on the counter at work, pages 1-11 and a 16 page pullout tribute are devoted to him. Is this the world we live in today where the death of a media personality, no matter how popular, warrants such coverage??

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Boycey on May 01, 2010, 03:35:40 PM
Was as shocked as anyone yesterday when I heard the news of his untimely death but someones just left today Daily Star on the counter at work, pages 1-11 and a 16 page pullout tribute are devoted to him. Is this the world we live in today where the death of a media personality, no matter how popular, warrants such coverage??

Well they need to justify 8-10 photographers/ reporters standing out side the family since yesterday afternoon. Scum paper, scum ethics.

Boycey

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on May 01, 2010, 03:50:38 PM
Quote from: Boycey on May 01, 2010, 03:35:40 PM

Well they need to justify 8-10 photographers/ reporters standing out side the family since yesterday afternoon. Scum paper, scum ethics.

Wasn't having a go at the Star as such, I'm sure they are not the only paper at the house, rather the appetite of people for stuff like this. Bizarre..

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 30, 2010, 11:05:11 PM
He wouldn't be my cup of tea but I feel sorry for his family and friends to lose someone so young. I have to say though I did enjoy him when he stood in for Pat Kenny on the late late show a while back - which surprised me. By all accounts he did shake up radio from the 70's onward to which we all owe him a debt of gratitude. RIP Gerry Ryan.

That all depends on whether or not you think the current standard of radio is good or bad, and what Gerry Ryan's radio legacy is Myles. But that's a debate for another day - 53 is a young age to called ashore. God have mercy on him.

Bogball XV

Quote from: tyroneboi on May 02, 2010, 01:14:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysd6RnKIMGo
have a listen to the unreferenced link there, it was Gerry's show on Friday morning when Fiona Looney was taking over for the day, mocking's sketching....

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Red Hurley

Gerry RIP, thanks for the memories. 2Fm have been playing friends in time alot by The Golden Horde, brings back great memories,anyone any idea where I can download it