Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: shaund10 on June 03, 2010, 10:43:05 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on June 03, 2010, 09:57:26 AM
yes 2 great meetings both in the league. Both in Croke Park. So what was your point again.

As for the kerry game. Very impressive indeed. How much did ye lose by again

The point is that Kerry had the top class players in Cooper, Donaghy, O Sullivan, Galvin and Walsh to knock 1-21 past us. Where are your top class players again?
And they did that in a monsoon?  Very impressive indeed  ::)

western exile

The team selected is the form team.  I am a little surprised at the "shock" from some other posters.
From 1 to 9 the team is very like most teams selected for the last 2 years. The big exception is the dropping of Gardner, but the in-form  lads had to be accommodated, so fair play to management for that.
Dillon is a loss of course, but the 3 half forwards are the same 3 that played most games this year in Dillons absence, so no surprise there either. I share the same concerns re Trevor as most posters, but we all knew the captain was always going to be  selected.
On form this year, Varley had to be selected.  And on form this year, Aiden O'Shea had to be dropped. His understudy Alan Freeman, who came on to good effect in most games this year, is the obvious replacement. 
Which leaves the final corner spot a straight choice between Conor Mort and Ronaldson. The management went with the more  experienced lad. But it is great to have Ronaldo on the bench when needed.
I don't know why so many posters were assuming there would be a "twin towers" strategy. There was no evidence of it so far this year.  Besides, with Moran injured, and AOS  not cutting it, this is a way better forward line.
I don't know if the bench was named too ?   But it would be great to have options like Gardner and Ronaldson to come in, backed up with Harte, BJP and AOS if needed. This is key... JOM & Co need to make the correct switches if, and when, necessary!
I am not as surprised as most, with this team selection and I believe they will be good enough for Sligo on Saturday evening.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: western exile on June 03, 2010, 11:16:04 AM
The team selected is the form team.  I am a little surprised at the "shock" from some other posters.
From 1 to 9 the team is very like most teams selected for the last 2 years. The big exception is the dropping of Gardner, but the in-form  lads had to be accommodated, so fair play to management for that.
Dillon is a loss of course, but the 3 half forwards are the same 3 that played most games this year in Dillons absence, so no surprise there either. I share the same concerns re Trevor as most posters, but we all knew the captain was always going to be  selected.
On form this year, Varley had to be selected.  And on form this year, Aiden O'Shea had to be dropped. His understudy Alan Freeman, who came on to good effect in most games this year, is the obvious replacement. 
Which leaves the final corner spot a straight choice between Conor Mort and Ronaldson. The management went with the more  experienced lad. But it is great to have Ronaldo on the bench when needed.
I don't know why so many posters were assuming there would be a "twin towers" strategy. There was no evidence of it so far this year.  Besides, with Moran injured, and AOS  not cutting it, this is a way better forward line.
I don't know if the bench was named too ?   But it would be great to have options like Gardner and Ronaldson to come in, backed up with Harte, BJP and AOS if needed. This is key... JOM & Co need to make the correct switches if, and when, necessary!
I am not as surprised as most, with this team selection and I believe they will be good enough for Sligo on Saturday evening.
Good sensible post In fact, the only selection worthy of controversy is that of Alan Freeman at no. 14 and he played quite well any time he got a run in the league. Certainly, there could be problems upfront unless the long established trio of Andy, Trevor and Conoreen don't step up to the mark but that's just a possibility and not a probability.
I wouldn't press the panic button just yet.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: western exile on June 03, 2010, 11:16:04 AM
This is the FORM team, based on Challenge matches and Training :D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Foreverhopeful

That leaves us with a potential forward line on the sidelines of :

Harte    Aidan O'Shea   Dillon

Ronaldson  B Moran    Kilcoyne

(BJP as an option anywhere really!)

That's healthy for Mayo but i would like to see the forwards doing the business on Sat and making it very diffficult to be dropped. I take it Alan Freeman is our right-footed freetaker then on Sat and Conor the left ones? Really hoping Alan Freeman goes well and gives the Aughamore club a little something to smile about.

moysider

Quote from: shaund10 on June 03, 2010, 08:43:41 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 02, 2010, 11:13:46 PM
Quote from: saffronandblue on June 02, 2010, 10:45:58 PM
What a team to have built after 4 years of trying........there isn't a half decent club team that would fear the Mayo forward line.  We are going backwards so quickly under ALL of this current management team.  It looks like a joke of a team, I only hope it is a joke.  Imagine if we were heading out to play Kerry or Cork with this team......Mayo God Help Us.

I take it you re not impressed. Would you not cut him a bit of slack for injuries itself? You realise of course that if we progress that we will be going out v Cork or Kerry with this team- if we get that far? I mean what other team is there?

Tit for tat games at Castlebar and Salthill are all very well, but if the Galway forward's got Mayo in the wide expanses of Croker, they would rip them to shreds. They only had 2/4 stars playing last time out at Croker, and managed to knock 1-16 past Kerry in a monsoon. Sadly Mayo dont have the forwards to outscore that. So theres your other team....

FFS I meant what other Mayo team is there to put out against Cork?Kerry. Nothing to do with Galway.

shaund10

Quote from: moysider on June 03, 2010, 01:10:53 PM
Quote from: shaund10 on June 03, 2010, 08:43:41 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 02, 2010, 11:13:46 PM
Quote from: saffronandblue on June 02, 2010, 10:45:58 PM
What a team to have built after 4 years of trying........there isn't a half decent club team that would fear the Mayo forward line.  We are going backwards so quickly under ALL of this current management team.  It looks like a joke of a team, I only hope it is a joke.  Imagine if we were heading out to play Kerry or Cork with this team......Mayo God Help Us.

I take it you re not impressed. Would you not cut him a bit of slack for injuries itself? You realise of course that if we progress that we will be going out v Cork or Kerry with this team- if we get that far? I mean what other team is there?

Tit for tat games at Castlebar and Salthill are all very well, but if the Galway forward's got Mayo in the wide expanses of Croker, they would rip them to shreds. They only had 2/4 stars playing last time out at Croker, and managed to knock 1-16 past Kerry in a monsoon. Sadly Mayo dont have the forwards to outscore that. So theres your other team....

FFS I meant what other Mayo team is there to put out against Cork?Kerry. Nothing to do with Galway.

My mistake. I thought you meant that Cork/Kerry would be the only teams able to knock you out in the later stages of the championship. Apologies..

GBXII

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on June 03, 2010, 01:09:42 PM
That leaves us with a potential forward line on the sidelines of :

Harte    Aidan O'Shea   Dillon

Ronaldson  B Moran    Kilcoyne

(BJP as an option anywhere really!)

That's healthy for Mayo but i would like to see the forwards doing the business on Sat and making it very diffficult to be dropped. I take it Alan Freeman is our right-footed freetaker then on Sat and Conor the left ones? Really hoping Alan Freeman goes well and gives the Aughamore club a little something to smile about.

I'm pretty sure Varley will be taking the frees on the left. Also, I'd say Conor will take the ones on the right unless he's feeling particularly confident on Saturday evening :)

Mayo4Sam

I would actually say that Cork & Kerry are the teams that will knock us out of this yrs championship, I wouldn't fear anyone else.

I thought David Kelly was injured, his dad reckoned last week he wouldn't start, so may be a late change there if he doesn't make it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

It is a strange looking FF line but Johnno has always rewarded guys who were flying in training. Lets hope they keep flying.

Chris Barrett deserves his chance, even though he has only started a couple of times in the corner he has done well. He was a small minor and an even smaller U-21 but he has bulked up a lot and is an honest defender with loads of football. If Keith Higgins is back to his best and Caff develops as we hoped, we may be very close to solving our most serious problem of the last few years. I really like the half back line and while there isn't a huge amount of experience there we could be looking at them in a few years as one of the most influential units in the country.

As for the rest Conor Mort has to start, always. The half forward line looks weak without Alan Dillon which will be a problem but Trevor's problems happen in Croker, not Connacht, so I expect him to play well on Saturday. Andy is lucky to keep his place but like I said at the start Johnno often rewards lads who are training well. He needs a good game though.

I don't know what happened AOS. Very surprised at that one but I'm looking forward to seeing the man who has taken his place.

I tipped Sligo for Connacht months ago and if they win on Saturday I would be confident they will do it. But deep down the green and red mist is descending and I think we win will.
MWWSI 2017

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 03, 2010, 01:52:48 PM
I would actually say that Cork & Kerry are the teams that will knock us out of this yrs championship, I wouldn't fear anyone else.

I thought David Kelly was injured, his dad reckoned last week he wouldn't start, so may be a late change there if he doesn't make it

There was a concern all right, but in Kellys own words "im flying at the minute" and not in a plane ;), does answer any concerns.

I didnt know kellys father is a mayoman and that he only moved to tubber at age 10 from belmullet, ;D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

small white mayoman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 03, 2010, 02:25:17 PM

There was a concern all right, but in Kellys own words "im flying at the minute" and not in a plane ;), does answer any concerns.

I didnt know kellys father is a mayoman and that he only moved to tubber at age 10 from belmullet, ;D

ah that explains where he got the skills from  ;)
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

criostlinn

Andy Moran had a great start to the league but faded away towards the end. I think this was no harm as its hard to keep it going all year. I saw him in action in a couple of the challenge matches and he seems to be flying again. Definitely worth his place for now.

Alan Freeman has also been going well in the challenges. At the end of the day the manager has to pick who is playing well at the moment,

O'Mahoney has done the right thing with A O'Shea. He was given every chance all through the league but hasn't improved. The man looks seriously unfit. If he hopes to make it as an inter county footballer he has to get in shape.

Im a little surprised with Varley. Even though he had a good league up until the injury, I felt after loosing his place he wouldnt get it back. I suppose with the injuries to others he's the best option.

Im delighted with the 2 wingbacks. Seriously good footballers the both of them. I felt that Gardiner would be in for the experience but these boys are the future and I dont think either will let us down. Its early yet to comment on Cunnife as we havent seen much of him but really no other choice for this position

So all in all the team selected is probably as good as it gets. Time to get behind them all and see how it goes. A very young team that has a real feel of change about it,with a lot of players that will be carrying the can for Mayo football for many years to come

Foreverhopeful

peadar gardiner will be a great man to bring in if things are getting sticky...He's been a very under-rated member of our team for years. Won us the connacht final last year with his coolness under pressure

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 03, 2010, 02:25:17 PM

Imagine that. The three best players on the sligo team O,Hara, Costelloe and Kelly are Mayo men ;D