Are you a snobby ****

Started by pintsofguinness, April 28, 2010, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well? are you a ****?

Yes
No

ziggysego

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2010, 11:13:46 AM
One interesting one - friends of ours are addressed by their first names by their kids. Anyone here do that? I kinda like the idea, I think.

My mate addresses his father by his first name and always has done. I've always found it a bit strange.
Testing Accessibility

Lar Naparka

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 28, 2010, 09:39:31 PM
Here, almost everyone when introducing themselves don't use their first name, they're "Mrs Smith" "Mr Jones" etc and it gets on my f**king nerves!
What is the point! Why wouldn't you use your first name? To me, if someone does that they are being a snobby f**ker and they're almost requiring you to refer to them as Mrs Smith or Mr Jones (I met a Mrs Topliss last week but that's off topic).
I instantly find it very hard to like them. I would NEVER introduce myself, to anyone, as Mr ____________. 

I've a feeling it's more of an English thing but does anyone here do it and if so, why?!  I want to hear your justification.

I once met a young wan who went by the name of Ms. Bumsey; I wonder if the pair of them could be related.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ziggysego

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 29, 2010, 11:41:44 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 28, 2010, 09:39:31 PM
Here, almost everyone when introducing themselves don't use their first name, they're "Mrs Smith" "Mr Jones" etc and it gets on my f**king nerves!
What is the point! Why wouldn't you use your first name? To me, if someone does that they are being a snobby f**ker and they're almost requiring you to refer to them as Mrs Smith or Mr Jones (I met a Mrs Topliss last week but that's off topic).
I instantly find it very hard to like them. I would NEVER introduce myself, to anyone, as Mr ____________. 

I've a feeling it's more of an English thing but does anyone here do it and if so, why?!  I want to hear your justification.

I once met a young wan who went by the name of Ms. Bumsey; I wonder if the pair of them could be related.

I mis-pronounced the name of one of my clients when I first met her. Mrs. Cockburn....  :-[
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Ate you sure you were not one of her "clients" Ziggy?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

passedit

Quote from: Minder on April 29, 2010, 11:49:50 AM
Ate you sure you were not one of her "clients" Ziggy?

Indeed, and possibly you're confusing her name with possible side effects.
Don't Panic

Hedley Lamarr

I remember working in London and answering the phone, the woman at the other end told me her name was Ms Bates.....I asked her if her son was Master Bates....nearly got sacked :D
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

armaghniac

I think that "Mr" is a bit casual, I like to be addressed as "your esteemed eminence".
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Billys Boots

QuoteOne interesting one - friends of ours are addressed by their first names by their kids. Anyone here do that? I kinda like the idea, I think.

My daughter calls me by my first name when she's giving out about something I've done or not done - so, on the basis of regularity, I think it's safe to say that she does primarily call me by my first name.  My son still calls me Da, but that's unlikely to last.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Pangurban on April 29, 2010, 02:26:35 AM
Its a matter of courtesy and good manners, to address someone as they themselves wish to be addressed. Some people , particularly from the older generation are uncomfortable with familiarity.
What about the courtesy and good manners of not putting yourself a level above someone else?

I find it strange, particularly on Hardy's point in the health service, that people want to be called Mr and Mrs due to a concern about familiarity when they're having their bum looked up or something. 

My brother, from no age, always referred to our mother by her first name. I don't know why. Now that grandchildren have come along in our family my parents get "granny and granda" from everyone.

Passedit, I can't believe you refer to your mother in law as Mrs!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 29, 2010, 02:12:14 PM
I find it strange, particularly on Hardy's point in the health service, that people want to be called Mr and Mrs due to a concern about familiarity when they're having their bum looked up or something.

:D :D There's no answer to that!

gerrykeegan

I worked with a lad in the UK who answered his phone "Carruthers" no hello, or can I help you just his surname nothing else. He was a knob
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Puckoon

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on April 29, 2010, 12:14:06 PM
I remember working in London and answering the phone, the woman at the other end told me her name was Ms Bates.....I asked her if her son was Master Bates....nearly got sacked :D

Oh My God! Are you serious!?

The Iceman

Never felt comfortable being called Mr. but I think its a generation thing.

When anyone calls me Mr. XXXX I think my Da is standing behind me or something.

Wouldn't be a big fan of calling parents by their first names - IMO its disrespectful but each to their own.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Homer:

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."
MWWSI 2017

passedit

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 29, 2010, 02:12:14 PM
Passedit, I can't believe you refer to your mother in law as Mrs!

True bill pog, same as i don't address my own oul wans by their first name. My young fella refers to me by a shortened version of my first name when he wants to wind me up and usually when he's just out of range. His granny will blindside him for it at some stage i'd say.

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 29, 2010, 02:39:25 PM
I worked with a lad in the UK who answered his phone "Carruthers" no hello, or can I help you just his surname nothing else. He was a knob

Worked with a few boyos like that in london myself. Public school thing I'd say. Yes they were invariably knobs.
Don't Panic