IS JOHN O'MAHONY OVERRATED AS A MANAGER???

Started by Shrewdness, April 26, 2010, 07:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Love this comment :D

QuoteZulu, we all love you, but you're barred from naming the entire Cork panel. You'll only get excited and make a mess.

Sorry Zulu, it's true. You have serious man love for Cork this past couple of years.

Anyhow, I agree that you have to have a solid team with a couple of match winners added in to win an All Ireland. The more match winners in your ranks the better the chance that some of them will play well on the big day. That's where Kerry, Tyrone et al have the extra bit of quality throughout their teams and a poor day for one big name doesn't mean a loss.

In the lesser teams, they either have only a couple of star men, or even less, and if they are held the team is fucked. And that cascades all the way through the levels where even division 4 teams have good players, even some star players, but not a supporting cast. All Ireland winners need both.

As regards teams (except Cork) with players good enough to light up an All Ireland Final, if the supporting cast keeps them around, I'd say Bernard Brogan from Dublin, Johnny Doyle from Kildare, Paddy Bradley from Derry, Michael Murphy from Donegal and Michael Meehan from Galway spring to mind.

deiseach

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 28, 2010, 01:58:26 PM
Everyone here can name Cooper or Cavanagh or whoever, because they've done it and it can't be denied them. But I wonder - does anybody fancy naming a similarly outstanding player from a team that is yet to win an All-Ireland, but who will win an All-Ireland because of this man's presence? If Mayo "don't have the players," I'm curious to know who does, among those counties who have not won All-Irelands in the past decade, say.

Trying to disprove the suggestion that an All-Ireland winning team needs at least one great player is a classic example of trying to prove a negative. Winning the All-Ireland is going to bestow greatness on seveal players on the team. Not winning the All-Ireland is not going to render a great player inadequate.

Logan

Quote from: deiseach on April 28, 2010, 02:19:19 PM
Everyone here can name Cooper or Cavanagh or whoever, because they've done it and it can't be denied them. But I wonder - does anybody fancy naming a similarly outstanding player from a team that is yet to win an All-Ireland, but who will win an All-Ireland because of this man's presence? If Mayo "don't have the players," I'm curious to know who does, among those counties who have not won All-Irelands in the past decade, say.

Trying to disprove the suggestion that an All-Ireland winning team needs at least one great player is a classic example of trying to prove a negative. Winning the All-Ireland is going to bestow greatness on seveal players on the team. Not winning the All-Ireland is not going to render a great player inadequate.

Name one great player on the Dublin '95 Team?

Hardy

Quote from: Barney on April 28, 2010, 12:50:20 PM
Well for a start Joe McQuillan's errors lead to a 7 point turnaround.

This is the theory most often quoted. As far as I remember, only one decision was wrong. The two biggest decisions cited are usually the line ball fro Meath that led to the goal and the suggestion that Paddy O'Rourke caught a ball behind the line.

The line ball decision was correct. Look at the video. Joe Sheridan plays the ball off the Mayo player's leg and from there it crosses the line. As regard the goal, no camera angle I've seen (and I think I've seen them all) provides a definitive view. On the other hand, both umpires were on the spot and they agreed it wasn't a goal.

cornafean

Quote from: Logan on April 28, 2010, 02:22:58 PM
Quote from: deiseach on April 28, 2010, 02:19:19 PM

Name one great player on the Dublin '95 Team?

John O'Leary. There are others.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Logan

O'Leary wasn't a great. Who else? Redmond? Stynes? Barr? Gavin? Vinnie? Sherlock?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Logan on April 28, 2010, 02:34:53 PM
O'Leary wasn't a great. Who else? Redmond? Stynes? Barr? Gavin? Vinnie? Sherlock?
That Dublin team were knocking on the door for a number of years.  Below are their All Stars from around those years.  I would consider John O'Leary and Paul Curran outstanding footballers and to a lesser extent Charlie Redmond as he was very valuable to the makeup of that particular team.  The supporting cast weren't too bad either in all fairness!

1996: P. Curran
1995: J. O' Leary, P. Curran, K. Barr, B. Stynes, D. Farrell, P. Clarke, C. Redmond
1994: J. O'Leary, J. Sheedy, C. Redmond
1993: J. O'Leary, D. Deasy, C. Redmond
1992: P. Curran, E. Heery, V. Murphy
1991: M. Deegan, T. Carr, K. Barr

seafoid

I used to love the way Micheal o Muircheartaigh pronounced "Keith Barr".

Hardy

Yes - two syllables in Keith. Same as all Karls and Carls in the GAA get a bonus syllable as well, and not only from Micheál.

INDIANA

Bollox. O Leary has no peer as a keeper in the last 25 years. None. Check the stats- unparalled

INDIANA

Paul Curran was nearly as good as Martin O Connell who is the best wing back I ever saw.

Logan

Quote from: INDIANA on April 28, 2010, 03:04:52 PM

Bollox. O Leary has no peer as a keeper in the last 25 years. None. Check the stats- unparalled
Oh right ... after O'Keefe or Murphy, with what 2 and 4 All Irelands or something? Yeh, no peer indeed.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on April 28, 2010, 02:52:57 PM
Yes - two syllables in Keith. Same as all Karls and Carls in the GAA get a bonus syllable as well, and not only from Micheál.

I used to like watching the Ulster matches on six county TV just to listen to the pronunciation. Rass Kyarr and Macah Landan . Those were the days  .

Logan

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2010, 03:25:59 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 28, 2010, 02:52:57 PM

I used to like watching the Ulster matches on six county TV just to listen to the pronunciation. Rass Kyarr and Macah Landan . Those were the days  .
;D Those were the days! just ask poor Jerome!

INDIANA

Quote from: Logan on April 28, 2010, 03:21:29 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 28, 2010, 03:04:52 PM

Oh right ... after O'Keefe or Murphy, with what 2 and 4 All Irelands or something? Yeh, no peer indeed.

Neither of whom in a hapenny place compared to O Leary. As I said check the stats- championship appearances, goals conceded.etc etc etc etc.
Kevin O Brien is in the top 5 forwards of the last 20 years and he never won an all-ireland. Since when did winning an all-ireland be a barometer of individual excellence?
Only to those lazy in their analysis.