The Battle for Fermanagh and South Tyrone

Started by Ulick, April 19, 2010, 10:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 08, 2010, 10:44:52 AM
Quote from: ONeill on May 08, 2010, 09:04:29 AM

Would Hume have made a pact?
I doubt it very much

I think he would've. The from the older school; those who remember when Nationalists had little or no say in this part of the world.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Disillusioned on May 07, 2010, 11:28:36 PM
I have lived through the period of the troubles from the age of 10 and I remember almost every significant event.  The trend for revisionism of the period has not occurred for me, the sickening violence from every sector remain as a vivid memories.  I cannot bring myself to vote for SF under any circumstances. 

According to the logic of many posters on this thread I should be prepared to abandon my beliefs and principles to vote for SF to ensure that a Protestant politician cannot be elected becaue I am a Catholic nationalist. Sounds like sectarianism to me.
funnily enough you are very close to the militant IRA mindset - they refuse to vote for sf also, because they believe sf do not represent them at all. so they dont or wont vote sf, sdlp would have a better shot at their vote !

orangeman

Rodney seemed very pissed off with the electoral office - what was all that about ?? Bad loser - he ended with "there'll one time !!! " - when ??   :D

pintsofguinness

I have lived through the period of the troubles from the age of 10 and I remember almost every significant event.  The trend for revisionism of the period has not occurred for me, the sickening violence from every sector remain as a vivid memories.  I cannot bring myself to vote for SF under any circumstances. 

According to the logic of many posters on this thread I should be prepared to abandon my beliefs and principles to vote for SF to ensure that a Protestant politician cannot be elected becaue I am a Catholic nationalist. Sounds like sectarianism to me.
For someone who has lived through the troubles you have very little understanding of it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Why, just because he has a different perspective on it? He wouldn't be the only one to think like that.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Is it me or is there something really, really, and I mean, really irritating about the newly elected MP for South Down. I can't put my finger on it. Arlene is just a bitter wee bitch but Mags Richtea....arghhhh.

Well done Michelle.  Let them take ye to court if they want.

Mind, I'd give Sylvia one, and that's saying something.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 08, 2010, 11:22:35 AM
Why, just because he has a different perspective on it? He wouldn't be the only one to think like that.
Because it's got nothing to do with religion so he could leave that out of it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: ONeill on May 08, 2010, 11:03:23 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 08, 2010, 10:44:52 AM
Quote from: ONeill on May 08, 2010, 09:04:29 AM

Would Hume have made a pact?
I doubt it very much

I think he would've. The from the older school; those who remember when Nationalists had little or no say in this part of the world.
There is that.  He also hated violence so that would mean he wouldn't have entertained a pact with those who support(ed) the use of violence to achieve political goals.  That's my reasoning on it anyway
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Hardy

Quote from: Pangurban on May 08, 2010, 12:40:10 AM
If its a battle of wits, you will win hands down Hardy

That'd be like Meath winning a match between Antrim and Tyrone. It'd be impressive, but I'm not really up for it.

trileacman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 08, 2010, 11:14:52 AM

For someone who has lived through the troubles you have very little understanding of it.
Thats a very cheap accusation. When there's some substance to your snipes people might read what you say.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 07, 2010, 11:42:45 PM
A lot of being in denial in this thread: whilst Britain maintains a presence in Ireland there will always be a sectarian edge to any election: it's the unavoidable consequence of a (continued) presence that was established and predicated on a sectarian headcount. It's that simple, get over it.
True, there will be a certain edge to the election but do you want to move back towards a more religiously-orientated voting or move away from it.
If SDLP had pulled out of FST then the population there could have just by stating their religion on the ballot paper or as hardstation says "are you a green, an orange or a yellow?"
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Zapatista

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on May 08, 2010, 11:54:49 AM
There is that.  He also hated violence so that would mean he wouldn't have entertained a pact with those who support(ed) the use of violence to achieve political goals.  That's my reasoning on it anyway

He was the King of pacts when the place was in rubble.

Zapatista

Quote from: trileacman on May 08, 2010, 12:04:06 PM
A lot of being in denial in this thread: whilst Britain maintains a presence in Ireland there will always be a sectarian edge to any election: it's the unavoidable consequence of a (continued) presence that was established and predicated on a sectarian headcount. It's that simple, get over it.
True, there will be a certain edge to the election but do you want to move back towards a more religiously-orientated voting or move away from it.
If SDLP had pulled out of FST then the population there could have just by stating their religion on the ballot paper or as hardstation says "are you a green, an orange or a yellow?"

Do the people who vote along Nationalist/Republican and Unionist lines get included in that? I would have voted SF in that case but it's because I'm a republican not a Catholic. There are also those who would have voted SF as a vote against the sectarian Tory candidate. There are probably those who would have voted tory against SF/IRA and not because they are prodestant. Some might have even voted tory against SF abstentionist policy. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: trileacman on May 08, 2010, 12:04:06 PM

No question, we need to move away from the tribal headcounts.

My point is that in a statelet that was founded on that basis (primitive sectarian headcount) it's highly unlikely that we'll ever reach a point where the sectarian aspect will be totally eradicated, so when it does surface it's no surprise (that's not to say that I think SF should engage in same).

That said, however, one of the most gratifying aspects of this most recent election was to hear Adams thank those loyalists/unionists in his constituency who had voted for him (small but hugely significant). That is truly progressive and hopeful (and amazing).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Michelle it is thought got some protestant farmer voyes given her role in agriculture.

I'd say they'll be keeping it to themselves all the same given the narrow margin of victory.  ;)