Ard Mhacha v An Dún - Cluiche Ceannais Rionn 2 - Pairc an Chrócaigh 25/4/10

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, April 11, 2010, 11:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our_fella

ogshead

Quote from: Ulick on April 25, 2010, 07:53:26 PM
I thought Hearty had a very good game. Apart from the goal he was very good under the high ball and his place kicking was excellent. A very confident display and for me has nailed down his start against Derry. As for Mackin, must be at least five or six years since he made such an effective cameo.

What game where you at? The goal wasn't the only mistake, there was more times he flapped at balls and I personally thought that Down were putting the ball on top of him on purpose. For the goal itself, he stood flat footed and never even attempted to attack the ball. If he had have went for it in the first place he'd have won a free out as the refs protect the keepers in 9 out of ten times in those situations.

Overall though, I was impressed with Armagh. I am aware that we are still a work in progress but I liked the way that they bounced back with two points after Down took the lead just before half time. On past occassions I think they wouldn't have it too bad going in a point down at half time. Also, the way Armagh closed out the game at the end was good and I am now optimistic of a good result against Derry

Pangurban

Best team won, no doubt about that. Always first to the breaking ball, fast intelligent movement, crisp passing and excellent finishing. Down did well to be competitive throughout, and kept battling, but with so many of our best players failing to do the simple things right, there was only ever going to be one result. Maybe this was the wake up call we needed, Donegal is another Day and hopefully a better result. Disappointed with Daniel Mc Cartan stamp on Kernan, dont think there was any real intent to injure, but it was deserving of a Red Card. Cant see Dan Gordon making starting 15 for Championship, either his Head or his Heart is just not up for it

yellowcard

Very good performance from Armagh today, we always looked in control of the game. In the past we leaned too heavily for scores on McDonnell and Clarke but today we looked as though there were scores all over the field. Morriarty, Swift, Vernon, McDonnell, A Mallon were all excellent but we are a goalkeeper a corner back and a centre forward away from being All Ireland contenders.

I do see a lot to be hopeful for though and we have an outside chance of getting to the last 4. Down looked well off the pace and whilst Clarke did play very well for them, there were very few others who could be entirely happy with their performances. 

Bogball XV

Quote from: supersub on April 25, 2010, 03:19:10 PM
own goal by keeper surely!
looked at it again there, can't see Coulter touching it, Clarke's goal imo, Hearty badly at fault (once again).

ardmhachaabu

Not long home here, I'm  happy with the way Armagh played today overall, their heads didn't drop for a second when they went behind and I was impressed with the way they kept battling to regain the advantage where once they would have been content with going in at half time 1 point down or even level.

A few comments on individuals;

Hearty's kickouts were varied and showed some intelligence today, he was at fault for the goal though

McKeever was superb today, he reminded me of Geezer at times

Finn Mo was my MOTM, his workrate and tracking back I felt were second to none and he proved that he can be very dangerous and tackle well

Mal Mackin had a chance for a goal but took the point

Henderson was fairly anonymous

Anyone know why Clarkie didn't start?

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

thegael

Welcome to reality today !
we are very limited and really we have a long way to go.
Armagh were a far better side and the result flattered us ( i suppose the lucky goal helped the scoreline) but we really were the second best.
Our full back line might just be the worst in ulster always seeming to be behind their men .
Garvey is most certainly not up to it , as for our midfield today it was woeful. In and around the middle we seemed to pass too much and with Armagh's fast tackling we were caught out on numerous occasions.
Up front Marty Clarke and Benny both tried hard but overall Armagh are a lot fitter and stronger than us.
Today shows that we are really up against it this year. The full back line and midfield needs wholesale changes and hopefully our management have the courage do the right thing.!I was also disgusted with the trampish stamping at the end.

the gael takes no prisoners!

Benny Barnaveld

Hearty was bad for the goal.
He was at least a foot behind the line anyways even if he haf of got a touch.
But Lavery did not cover himsel in glory either, backed under the crossbar and never got off the ground. Blocked Heart's view

JUst retired

Everybody blameing the goalkeeper, have a look at the highlights, at least two defenders in front of him and imo was blinded until the last second. the mistake he made was not clearing them out. Also how did Benny get the run in there,he should have been blocked off.
Down fans do not have much to say about Mc Cartans sending off,if Mc Keever had done this there would be an outcry.
Anyway a good win,and hope for the future.

JUst retired

yellowcard

Quote from: JUst retired on April 25, 2010, 09:05:36 PM
Everybody blameing the goalkeeper, have a look at the highlights, at least two defenders in front of him and imo was blinded until the last second. the mistake he made was not clearing them out. Also how did Benny get the run in there,he should have been blocked off.
Down fans do not have much to say about Mc Cartans sending off,if Mc Keever had done this there would be an outcry.
Anyway a good win,and hope for the future.

Have to agree with that, it was a cowardly act standing on a man who was lying prone on the floor. I reckon McCartan may have played his last game for Down this year, he will probably get 3 months by which time Down will most likely have made their customary early championship exit.

mournerambler

Just home & had a quick look at the TV footage of the sending off because I didn't see it too well from were I was sitting, I have to say that it was loutish behaviour that fully deserved a red card & it's something that shouldn't be tolerated in Gaelic Football.
Disappointed with the result today but great work to get their and win promotion to Division 1, well done to Armagh.

thewobbler

Better team won today, so no complaints here.

Armagh's defence was very sharp, and McDonnell was his usual class act.

From a Down perspective the biggest problem today was decision making, much of which was nothing short of shocking.

Wanting to bring your full forward line into play early is admirable, but if a corner back is right up the attackers hole, then it is the wrong ball, simple as that. And that happened at least a dozen times today.

If you are facing the right direction, have the ball, and are unmarked, then playing a three yard first pass to a teammate facing the wrong direction is completely pointless, and potentially destructive if it slows things down to a stop. And that happened at least half a dozen times today.

Mid Down Gael

Poor performance from Down today who yet again failed to deliver when it mattered. Full back line was suspect while Colgan should have been replaced for the remainder off the game after a head injury. He was clearly daised. McKernan and Hughes constantly got turned over in possession as did Gordon when introduced. We struggled to get break ball in the half forward line while John Clarke and McComiskey where woeful inside. Ive yet to see McComiskey perform when it mattered for Down from the start and i believe Murtagh should have started b4 him. Benny and Marty C where are best players by far. Maginnn and Kearney proved yet again how average they are. Very disapointed with the result but im sure ORourke is happy enough winning a league where McDonnell has been outstanding.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: thegael on April 25, 2010, 09:04:27 PM
Welcome to reality today !
we are very limited and really we have a long way to go.
Armagh were a far better side and the result flattered us ( i suppose the lucky goal helped the scoreline) but we really were the second best.
Our full back line might just be the worst in ulster always seeming to be behind their men .
Garvey is most certainly not up to it , as for our midfield today it was woeful. In and around the middle we seemed to pass too much and with Armagh's fast tackling we were caught out on numerous occasions.
Up front Marty Clarke and Benny both tried hard but overall Armagh are a lot fitter and stronger than us.
Today shows that we are really up against it this year. The full back line and midfield needs wholesale changes and hopefully our management have the courage do the right thing.!I was also disgusted with the trampish stamping at the end.

the gael takes no prisoners!

My head tells me i shouldn't take the bait but im in a bad mood after today so i may aswell
Given our defensive record in the league we are clearly not the worst defenders in Ulster.
Garvey is a good, hard hitting and fearless player, and scored an excellent point.
Granted midfield was second best today, but Ambrose being out was a huge blow and King put in a good performance, no need for "whole sale changes"....
The Boys in Red and Black are back