Ard Mhacha v An Dún - Cluiche Ceannais Rionn 2 - Pairc an Chrócaigh 25/4/10

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, April 11, 2010, 11:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: JimStynes on April 25, 2010, 03:37:07 PM
How many did stevie score and how many where from play?

6 points he scored not sure how many from play? kernan scored 4
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tomorrow is another day

The better team on the day did win however I do think that the two teams are a long distance off Sam contenders on that performance.

For Down - full back line was exposed yet again and unfortunately James Colgan is too limited of a footballer to be occupying no 6. Midfield never got going and in the half forward line Kearney was anonymous and wee Danny lost posession too many times by running into cul de sacs of Armagh defenders. Clarke impressed for me at 11 buy John at full forward was totally out of the game and McComiskey simply did not deliver enough from frees or play.

Armagh looked a bit hungrier for the win and much much tighter in their back 6. They won midfield and created an awful lot of room upfront by their running. Also their scoring ratio to shots i guess was very high with McDonnell extremely accurate.

As in previous years reaching the final of a league title a few weeks before a Championship outing may well prove as only a scouting exercise for their opponents and both teams might suffer in their first round games?!

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Tomorrow is another day on April 25, 2010, 04:01:57 PM
The better team on the day did win however I do think that the two teams are a long distance off Sam contenders on that performance.

For Down - full back line was exposed yet again and unfortunately James Colgan is too limited of a footballer to be occupying no 6. Midfield never got going and in the half forward line Kearney was anonymous and wee Danny lost posession too many times by running into cul de sacs of Armagh defenders. Clarke impressed for me at 11 buy John at full forward was totally out of the game and McComiskey simply did not deliver enough from frees or play.

Armagh looked a bit hungrier for the win and much much tighter in their back 6. They won midfield and created an awful lot of room upfront by their running. Also their scoring ratio to shots i guess was very high with McDonnell extremely accurate.

As in previous years reaching the final of a league title a few weeks before a Championship outing may well prove as only a scouting exercise for their opponents and both teams might suffer in their first round games?!

Armagh still looked a bit slugish at times and in the last 10 minutes their fitness started to shine through. Now from what I have read Armagh havent exactly been going all guns blazing with the training yet so the next couple of weeks they may step it up.

McDonnell was accurate on the first half, but in the second he completely fell off the radar. Forker and Jamie Clarke look confident up front today for the short spells that they had the ball. Mackin made a mends for his poor display earlier in the NFL and scored two decent points.

Hearty, now what the hell was he playing at? Maybe it was the defeces fault for letting coulter past them or maybe it was his for not meeting the ball and standing there with his arms in the air waiting for the ball to come to him. If Hearty did go up for the ball it wouldnt have been a goal.

A good run out for this young team, a taste of success will go a long way. Its also nice to know that Ronan Clarke wasn't playing so he has a little longer to recover.

Wouldnt read too much into this game, Armagh will be happy with the win and like the management have said...Armagh are preparing for the championship.

From a Down perpective I think this was a must win. I say this because what would you say the morale would be like? Going all the way through the league without suffering a defeat and having the title taken away in the last game. But then again they might have been getting carried away and being grounded was necessary for them.

Does anyone know why that free which resulted in a goal was given?

David McKeown

That free for the goal was a 45 the ref seems to have thought Donaghy got the touch on the ball and then tripped over himself.  That said Hearty was very poor for the goal and seemed to behind the lineby the time Coulter was jumping for the ball. 

I thought both teams were very good today and wouldn't think they are thatfar behind any team in the country at the minute. That said I still thought Armagh were the better team and deserved the win

Thought the ref had a poor enough game today but fair play to him for sending off McCartan, many refs would have bottled it in the same situation.

Finan Morriarity was my MOM although most of the team played well with the forwards taking most of their chances and the backs not giving too much away.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Tomorrow is another day

Armagh travel away to Derry and Down away to Donegal. It is quite likely that both teams will lose first day out as neither of them are that fae ahead of the opposition not to mention on championship day away from home.

Armaghgeddon

Armagh have it more difficult than Down I think. I would be more confident playign Donegal than Derry.

I also felt today that both teams held back. It was nowhere near the same tempo as the previous meeting.

Donegal arent showing great form

Were beaten by Antrim in the opener last year, but yes they did beat teams through the backdoor eventually getting thumped by Cork. Murphy isnt going to get much this year, teams will be wary of him.

Armagh and Down are the teams on form, they have sounded out the warning to Ulster so now all counties will be on their toes. Not sure about Down though, they havent suffered a defeat till now, will they crumble or will Donegal suffer the backlash?

Armagh and Derry is going to be interesting and very tight. Wont even predict the score.

charlieTully

comfortable win for the enemy, dominated midfield, a lucky goal was all that kept us in it. armaghs defence were well on top, quite deflating really, gordon is a long way off championship level, you have to wonder what the f**k he was playing at opting out of the league, he is hardly gong to be in tiptop shape playing dirge like annaclone and banbridge in club football. no answer to McDonald at all, badly missed Rodgers and Rafferty, hope to God they are fit come the end of may. Marty Clarke is a great free taker but the quality player on show to today was Stevie as much as it pains me to say it.

BallyhaiseMan

Marty Clarke played well for me,but he didnt look fit,he looked to be carrying an injury.
Armagh are a lovely team to watch,a crisp running game out of defence and long accurate diagonal balls into Stevie Mac and Clarke whens hes fit,add to strength in depth,being able to bring on the likes of Stefan Forker,Mackin and co,they could suprise people this year.

fitzroyalty

Good game today, Armagh were far hungrier, very impressed with their tackling. Dissappointing goal to concede though I thought it was a free out previous and not a 45. M Clarke was good from the frees but other than him and Benny Coulter Down forwards weren't much threat. It was good to see so many Armagh players stepping up to the plate taking scores, especially from hb. Very impressed with Finn Mo today and only for Stevie's accuracy would be my MOTM.

Dubh driocht

No real complaints other than losing to them ones and a generation of young supporters ( my children included ) still haven't seen us win at HQ.
Armagh's bit of calmness and experience told in the last 10 - Daniel's head stagger has presumably cost him a ban for at least the Donegal game. No criticism of any player on a website ( but plenty in our car on the way home) and the big plus from the league is Kalum King.Anyway, does anyone remember division 2 league finals ? Cork look a fair side but Mayo were woeful- how did they finish top of Division 1 ?

RealSpiritof98

Armagh were good value for their victory and should have been well ahead only for a mixture of stupid mixtakes and wrong option taking.  Swift, Vernon, Finnian and Stevie performed well although Stevie always has and always will shoot on sight and I think its more the nature of the beast.

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on April 25, 2010, 04:40:41 PM

Hearty, now what the hell was he playing at? Maybe it was the defeces fault for letting coulter past them or maybe it was his for not meeting the ball and standing there with his arms in the air waiting for the ball to come to him. If Hearty did go up for the ball it wouldnt have been a goal.

Maybe shite all, It was hearty's fault plain and simple because he a second rate goalkeeper that cannot jump or catch a ball and that scares me as an Armagh fan, if you watch his movement it goes against all goalkeeping logic, also is Tierney still training them as it looks like Paul has been taking dietry tips from him instead  ;).

Still a good win for Armagh and should set them up nicely for the coming championship, even if we dont progress past the jackal and Hyde that is Derry, a good run in the qualifers looks a possibility if the draw is favourable.

Ulick

I thought Hearty had a very good game. Apart from the goal he was very good under the high ball and his place kicking was excellent. A very confident display and for me has nailed down his start against Derry. As for Mackin, must be at least five or six years since he made such an effective cameo.

our_fella

Just in through the door there. Couldnt really ask for much more to be honest. Throughout the field we were on top. Thought Hearty had a mixed game, i'd say he would be the main cause for that Down goal, but same happened in Newry so i wouldnt look much into it. Whole FB line was immense. Donaghy had J.Clarke in his back pocket all day, shannon did a very solid job, Mallon was on top no matter who he was marking. Thought our HB line was as good as ive seen in a long while. Finn Mo at one stage won a ball in the 2nd half when he was out-numbered  4:1. Midfield, while not winning as much clean ball as usual, were deff on top throughout, toner's tackling was class. While i am a big fan of A.Kernan, have to say this was as bad as ive seen him in a long long time, wasnt at the races at all. Vernon and swift did well throughout, winning and dis-possessing constantly. With regards to stevie, really looks to be back to his best days, left and right foot, passing etc was first class. Felt Armagh made great use of their subs, with Mackin, Forker & Clarke all preforming well when taken on, esp with Mackin.

omagh_gael

Our Fella I doubt your having an identity crisis, your profile has you as a down man!