Cluiche ceannais na sraithe: Corcaigh v Maigh Eo

Started by muppet, April 11, 2010, 04:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: rosnarun on April 23, 2010, 11:58:52 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 23, 2010, 10:37:13 PM
They had an interesting chat about the game on Seo Spóirt on TG4 tonight. Seán Óg de Paor was a guest - Seán Óg bigged Johnno up a lot in his book and he was at it again tonight. He reckons O'Mahony hates stars - "prima donnas" doesn't really translate into Gaeilge but I'd say that's what he meant.

As for as Seán Óg is concerned, the team is the thing for Johnno, and he has now built a team in Mayo where everyone pulls their weight, as opposed to fellas either leaving it to the star or the star being too grand to get down in the muck. Seán Óg reckoned Mayo will do it.

Seán Bán Breathnach, on the other hand, isn't buying it. Seán Bán said the same thing David Brady said on Newstalk last night, that Mayo have not resolved their issues with high balls inside and we'll be seeing any God's amount of them on Sunday. Seán Bán reckoned Cork by two.

For what it's worth, I reckon Seán Óg was a bit unfair to Mayo teams of the past. The team that was 1-3 to 0-0 down after ten minutes to Galway in 2004 didn't come back to win that game by sitting on their holes and filing their nails.

I fancied Cork at the start of the week, then Mayo when I saw the big Cork names missing, and now I'm damned if I know how it's going to turn out. But whatever does happen, Moysider is right - we'll know a lot more about the Championship team than we do now at half-five on Sunday.

O'mahony at heart is still a teacher and the players are little boys and he doent trust them one bit . how can any real on field leadership develop when as soon as a bit of indivuality is shown they are off the team.
Mcdonald being the obvious one but connor Mortimer and parsons have suffered as wellabd I suspect aiden campbell is paying the Price as well . his Fear of any bit of hype is another manifestation of his refusal to Trust the players and thinks they will go to jelly at the sign of a reporter or cameraman.
That said Mayo should win despite him sunday with the biggest danger to mayo coming down the middle of the cork attack but i fancy may will go for a shoot out and with AOS back playing well i think mayo will have the ammoo to outgun Cork
MAyo 2:17 Cork 1:15

You forgot to mention that he is also a blueshirt ros - you're slipping...  :P
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

western exile

Here is how their scoring difference finished up during the league

Team     P   W   D   L    F      A      +/-     Pts
1   Mayo    7   6   0   1   9-86   5-78   20   12
3   Cork     7   5   0   2   9-93   9-86   7    10

small white mayoman

They had an interesting chat about the game on Seo Spóirt on TG4 tonight. Seán Óg de Paor was a guest - Seán Óg bigged Johnno up a lot in his book and he was at it again tonight. He reckons O'Mahony hates stars - "prima donnas" doesn't really translate into Gaeilge but I'd say that's what he meant.

As for as Seán Óg is concerned, the team is the thing for Johnno, and he has now built a team in Mayo where everyone pulls their weight, as opposed to fellas either leaving it to the star or the star being too grand to get down in the muck. Seán Óg reckoned Mayo will do it.

Seán Bán Breathnach, on the other hand, isn't buying it. Seán Bán said the same thing David Brady said on Newstalk last night, that Mayo have not resolved their issues with high balls inside and we'll be seeing any God's amount of them on Sunday. Seán Bán reckoned Cork by two.

For what it's worth, I reckon Seán Óg was a bit unfair to Mayo teams of the past. The team that was 1-3 to 0-0 down after ten minutes to Galway in 2004 didn't come back to win that game by sitting on their holes and filing their nails.

I fancied Cork at the start of the week, then Mayo when I saw the big Cork names missing, and now I'm damned if I know how it's going to turn out. But whatever does happen, Moysider is right - we'll know a lot more about the Championship team than we do now at half-five on Sunday.

did sean og really say that Iolar  ??? calling players he played against Prima donnas  and accussing them of not getting stuck in, if he did and we don't need to be a genius to guess who is is talking about the galway boys were glad to see the back of him on the football field . Anyway enough about sean og its going to a be tough game tomorrow but mayo to win by 2
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

ballinaman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 23, 2010, 10:40:27 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on April 23, 2010, 09:37:43 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on April 23, 2010, 12:40:08 PM

Cosmo....so defo no chance of TG4 streaming it??

You can give it a shot, but I doubt it. As SLIGONIAN said, you will most likely need to get an Irish IP to get it working. Mind you, that's not impossible...

While it might not be impossible, it's as close to it as makes no difference.
Maybe Sligonian would come back to us and post the link to the Irish IP address he has found to be reliable.
I doubt very much that it's a proxy server as there doesn't seem to any reliable Irish ones out there. When I read what you and some of the lads in Oz had to say, I took a root around to see what's available and I couldn't find a reliable Irish one. There doesn't seem to be anything there for free but I found some that should do the trick alright but they are not free.

This one seems okay but it costs £9.95 per month.
http://www.irishproxyserver.com/

This one could do the business also but costs $9.95 pm.
http://www.overplay.net/

You talking about VPN servers here and not proxies but I doubt if any one gives a damn if all that's wanted is a video stream from RTE or any other site that only accepts an Irish IP.

If Sligonian comes back with whatever he is using, it might save those who need an Irish IP a load of trouble.
Sound for the effort Lar, will just have to go old school and listen to midwest for it and get the dvd posted, will pay the money when the championship comes around though.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: small white mayoman on April 24, 2010, 09:30:24 AM

did sean og really say that Iolar  ??? calling players he played against Prima donnas  and accussing them of not getting stuck in, if he did and we don't need to be a genius to guess who is is talking about the galway boys were glad to see the back of him on the football field . Anyway enough about sean og its going to a be tough game tomorrow but mayo to win by 2

The word Seán Óg used was "réalt," which translates as star, but it means more star in the sky than star as in celebrity. There's no real equivalent to "celebrity" in Irish, because we were too busy starving in ditches to worry about who was wearing what shoes when the language was still spoken here. Prima donna is the nearest I can come to the meaning of what he was trying to get across.

Like I was saying in the post, I do think it's hard on many Mayo teams that have gone before. Mayo haven't faded as they used to - and by God they used to - since Maughan's first stint in the mid-nineties. I'm getting a bad feeling about tomorrow now, but I paused to think when I read a sentence in Keith Duggan's interview with T-Mort in the Irish Times this morning: "he has that Mayo habit of turning morose when he talks about football."

Huge level of insight into the Mayo psychology in that quote. Huge.

Farrandeelin

Mayo are hard beaten and they only lost to Dublin because they had a horrible amount of wides. Still, I'd give anything to give a big f**k yo to all the pundits who have consistently put us down this year. God knows, I've done it myself a few times so I'd gladly take one as well.

Mayo by 2.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 24, 2010, 12:43:17 PM
Quote from: small white mayoman on April 24, 2010, 09:30:24 AM

The word Seán Óg used was "réalt," which translates as star, but it means more star in the sky than star as in celebrity. There's no real equivalent to "celebrity" in Irish, because we were too busy starving in ditches to worry about who was wearing what shoes when the language was still spoken here. Prima donna is the nearest I can come to the meaning of what he was trying to get across.

Like I was saying in the post, I do think it's hard on many Mayo teams that have gone before. Mayo haven't faded as they used to - and by God they used to - since Maughan's first stint in the mid-nineties. I'm getting a bad feeling about tomorrow now, but I paused to think when I read a sentence in Keith Duggan's interview with T-Mort in the Irish Times this morning: "he has that Mayo habit of turning morose when he talks about football."

Huge level of insight into the Mayo psychology in that quote. Huge.

The thing is, if some wheels come off tomorrow there may be still time to fix things before the important stuff starts in Sligo. We re lucky to have another, as close as championship type, game tomorrow to examine where we are. Our backs in particular, and while our midfield are hugely talented we need to see them play and sledge it out for the game. Because anything that will come off tomorrow would have come off later in the year anyway. Many other years we went into the summer with flawed teams after comfortable springs. If we win it brilliant.

ross4life

A lot has been talked about both these teams looking forward to a good game of Football

have a feeling Mayo will nick it by 2pts, Player to Watch Mark Ronaldson
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Ranger

a late chamge of events mean i can now get to the game.
Anyone know where the gaa ticket stalls are located around croker?

AbbeySider

Quote from: Ranger on April 24, 2010, 10:13:43 PM
a late chamge of events mean i can now get to the game.
Anyone know where the gaa ticket stalls are located around croker?

There is one up near Quinns anyway, most are near the road blocks.

AbbeySider

I hear Mark Ronaldson failed a late fitness test. Id expect the Killer to be deployed which in my eyes will be a boost.
I expect Kilcoyne to be the player to watch.

Today will be a huge test for Howley marking the 6ft 3" Donncha O'Connor. I reckon he has his work cut out big-time and we will see if he is worth his salt.
Our full backline is a big problem. Cafferkey is not a good fielder of the ball and is more used to the corner. Liam O Malley never had a good day on a big occasion. Im hoping foe the best with Chris Barrett who may lack some experience and is being thrown in the deep-end a bit.

Cork could sneak 2-3 goals with our full backline. Mayo forwards will need to clock up a big scoreline to counter it. 

Mayo to sneak it by 2 in the end (I hoping)

Barney

That's disappointing for Ronnie he has been brilliant in the league but maybe the Killer might be a good man to have in - get game time, a freetaker and more physical presence.

Just about to hit the road now. Can't wait for this one. A bit of silverware in April would be a great pick-up and set up a very tasty game with Sligo come June.

Come on lads!!!

ONeill

Good luck to Mayo today. Always like to see the west awake.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

IolarCoisCuain

Togha scríbhneoireachta ón gCinnéideach san Examiner inné:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfkfidauidsn/rss2/

Why Mayo hate being liked
By Dara Ó Cinnéide
Saturday, April 24, 2010

A COLLEAGUE of mine who has graduated in such matters has often been heard to utter the phrase "ní hionainn dul go dtí tigh an rí agus teacht as" — going to the king's house and coming out of it is not the same thing.

So it is with the National League football finals and finalists in recent years. Donegal in 2007, Derry in 2008 and even Kerry in 2009 found that getting to a league final and winning it can become the catalyst for a cycle of poor form which is very hard to arrest for the start of championship. Whether consciously or otherwise, teams that have won the last three league titles have emerged lethargic and leaden-footed on the other side.

Little wonder then, that John O'Mahony might have been reluctant during the week to oblige the sponsors and talk up tomorrow's wrap to what has been an annual diminuendo at the end of each recent spring campaign.

O'Mahony is a peculiar and intriguing manager. At once an iconoclast and a throwback, he represents the best of traditional Mayo football in his idealistic approach to the game, yet he has quite justifiably spent the last year or so railing against slights and platitudes about his players' make-up as footballers.

It's easy for more decorated counties to like Mayo football and Mayo footballers. Since their re-emergence during O'Mahony's first term in charge over 20 years ago, we have tended to view them with the same benign affection we afforded some of the great Irish bands of that era — many of whom blossomed spectacularly before eventually disappearing in obscurity again. Mayo are the Into Paradise, the Power of Dreams and the Whipping Boy of the GAA world. That they never emulated the U2s of this world somehow made them more enduringly popular and more palatable to us than Bono and the boys could ever wish to be.

This has particular resonance for Munster GAA people. When Cork weren't beating Mayo in the All-Ireland final in 1989, walloping them in the 1993 semi-final and beating them once again in the 1999 semi-final, it was Kerry's turn to colonise their memories in the 1997, 2004, and 2006 finals.

Out of caution and respect (and a genuine belief that the wheel eventually will turn) you're very unlikely to hear any Cork or Kerry fan diss Mayo but when pressed, supporters in both counties will acknowledge that Mayo have been one of their favourite teams to play in Croke Park.

O'Mahony will know this too and while his current group of players shouldn't be unduly burdened by the past, they are reported to be working very hard with team psychologist Gerry Hussey lately on breaking the cycle of defeat and changing the public perception of themselves as a team.

There's a sense since early February that Mayo are indeed changing by unseen degrees. Watching from the terrace during their comprehensive defeat of Kerry in Austin Stack Park last month it was quite apparent that there was a steelier element to Mayo's game that hadn't been evident in quite some time.

One sketch in particular illuminates the central truth of people's perceptions of Mayo football — after a minor incident between Andy Moran and Kerry wing back Adrian O'Connell, young Mayo defender Donal Vaughan (one of Mayo's best performers this year) engaged in the darker arts of off the ball play and got away with it. Vaughan's antics didn't go unnoticed on the terrace but far from being enraged, the Kerry supporters were almost in state of disbelief that a Mayo player would behave in such a manner.

I imagine O'Mahony was privately pleased to see such audacity and black-heartedness from one of his players and it certainly wasn't a one-off. There have been countless other such showings throughout the league.

Should Mayo win tomorrow's Division One final, should they gather momentum throughout the summer and dare we say it — should 2010 eventually become The Year for their supporters — one wonders would we like them as much?

We all rejoiced when the Clare hurling team made their breakthrough a decade and a half ago. We didn't like it so much however, when they started to project that sense of entitlement that comes with believing you're as good as anyone else. Likewise when Armagh broke through the glass ceiling in 2002, the GAA community were quick to embrace them but after five seasons playing hard and aggressive and apologising to nobody, there were very few tears shed outside the Orchard when their powers began to wane in 2006. Come to think of it, Tyrone too, were a lot easier to like before they gate-crashed the party in 2003.!

Only a suspicion that there is a sting in their tail has stifled any morose delectation at their current predicament but there is sure to be an outbreak of tall poppy syndrome if Tyrone's league woes continue into championship 2010.

Strangely, as we wait for the bonfire to take a good hold and as his team prepare for their first visit of 2010 to Croke Park, the challenge for O'Mahony and his Mayo team is to become as resented as every serious team has been since O'Mahony himself led a Galway team of enduring popularity to glory in 2001. With the memory of their last league final trip to Croke Park in 2007 still sticking in the gut, Mayo people will be acutely aware of the need to carry positive thoughts out of this latest visit to the big house.

Fellow visitors this weekend, Sligo, await in a championship opener six weeks hence and the importance of Mayo winning a first league title since that landmark year of 2001 won't be lost on O'Mahony either.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Saturday, April 24, 2010

macdanger2

Can't make the game today - in London. Anybody know where I can catch the match close-ish to Clapham? Would prefer not to have to go intp the city...........

Big test today, hoping for a good performance, a win would be a bonus