CONNAUGHT U21 FOOTBALL FINAL

Started by rocco, March 29, 2010, 10:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

With Kerry out of now, sure the Rossies' heart won't be in it at all........ ;)

Sligo by two....

rossie mad

Another under age connacht final to look forward too who needs the seniors ;)

Really looking forward to this and i can see a very close game.Is there extra time if a draw?

I think both teams will take a lot of confidence from their last games with sligo defeating a very good galway side and are sure to be favourites with home advaantage.

The sligo lads are all very good footballers but if the our lads play well they may spring a suprise but its a hard ask but sure we still have to travel and support.

I have one gripe witht the geniuses in our county board who have fixed club league matches for the day after because IF we cause an upset i or my club mates cant go for a few celebratory drinks as is the case with alot of club players around the county but the liklihood of that happening is slim but all the same they could have put them back a week especially as there is another round of games tomorrow.

magpie seanie

Quote from: neilthemac on April 01, 2010, 02:16:44 AM
Roscommon to win by at least 4 points.
I always remember the 1999 U21 final in the Hyde with Sligo supporters outnumbering the locals by at least 3-1. It was great to see them leaving early in the heavy rain and set off down the road towards Foxe's

Harsh neilthemac! I ws one of those Sligo fans though I am not in the habit of leaving early. We actually had a good group of players in that team but with on or two notable exceptions they completely froze on the day. Maybe the opposite will be the case on Saturday (what with the reverse karma from 1999 in another code during the last few days)  ;)

Our team is good and can win. Would be of a similar mind to Sligonian bar one position though not knowing the injury situation etc makes things difficult. Don't know enough about Rossies either but would suspect they are quite good. Looking forward to it.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 01, 2010, 11:50:33 AM
Quote from: neilthemac on April 01, 2010, 02:16:44 AM
Roscommon to win by at least 4 points.
I always remember the 1999 U21 final in the Hyde with Sligo supporters outnumbering the locals by at least 3-1. It was great to see them leaving early in the heavy rain and set off down the road towards Foxe's

Harsh neilthemac! I ws one of those Sligo fans though I am not in the habit of leaving early. We actually had a good group of players in that team but with on or two notable exceptions they completely froze on the day. Maybe the opposite will be the case on Saturday (what with the reverse karma from 1999 in another code during the last few days)  ;)

Our team is good and can win. Would be of a similar mind to Sligonian bar one position though not knowing the injury situation etc makes things difficult. Don't know enough about Rossies either but would suspect they are quite good. Looking forward to it.

Just seen the weather forecast, its going to be raining.. the rossies will probably outnumber us 3-1 this time, plus they are favs and very confident coming to markievicz. Complete opposite to 1999. I really hope jonston picks the right team. Two notable exceptions, mcpartland was one who was the other?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

I can't remember anyone else but was trying to be kind!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Turlough O Carolan on March 31, 2010, 01:18:12 PM
Much as we alll enjoy the pages and pages of Mayo navel gazing, the Ros and Sligo lads are by nature slower to start but a hoor to stop once we get going. We might need to debate the proper way to spell Connacht first before we move onto the real thing. It's definitely Connacht. Connaught is usually the preferred spelling of the big gentry landlords over in Galway and Mayo. Those lads will be out counting their horses and cattle Saturday evening wondering where the extra hour of daylight came from.

Far more likely to be out guarding their sheep when they hear that a mob large and disorganised crowd of disenchanted, disaffected and disorientated sheepophiles will be streaming out of Markey Park around the time that late hour kicks in.
BTW: Probably thoroughly disinfected as well.

Let yee all keep the faith, Sligonian; it's now or never time!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross4life

from www.connachtgaa.ie)

Cadburys Connacht U21 Final
Sligo V Roscommon, Markievicz Pk, Sligo.
Saturday April 3rd 5.30.

This years Connacht U21 Football final should bring a huge crowd of supporters to Markievicz Pk on Saturday evening next as Sligo and Roscommon do battle for the title of "Best in the West". Connacht U21 Finals without either of the "Big 2 ( Galway and Mayo) are rare indeed. In fact in 46 years of the competition it has only happened twice previously ( 1999- when Roscommon defeated Sligo, and 1977 when Leitrim had one of their 2 wins by defeating Roscommon). Indeed Mayo and Galway have between them captured 39 of those 40 titles. So it is natural that a final without either heightens expectations in the competing counties.

Sligo have never previously won a Connacht U21 title. They have been defeated in 6 finals, the most recent being last year when they were well beaten by Mayo 3-14 to 1-8 so victory on Saturday would be a huge boost to the county and would be applauded throughout the province
Roscommon have been successful on 5 previous occasions, their most recent being in 1999 and twice they have gone on to All- Ireland success ( 1966 & 1978 ). They have been having a lean time at Senior level in recent years and victory here would represent significant progress, following on from the Minor All-Ireland victory in 2006.

Both semi -finals took place on St Patricks Day. Roscommon edged out Mayo by one point after an exciting encounter during which fortunes ebbed and flowed throughout the hour.
There were heroic performances from Neil Collins, Michael Higgins, Niall Daly, and James Mc Keague, but it was the experience of Senior players Paul Garvey, and Donal Shine that edged them through in the hectic final minutes. Big performances will again be required from all of these and the rest if Roscommon are to bridge an eleven year gap at this level.

Sligo surprised many pundits when they overcame a fancied Galway side that had won the All- Ireland at minor level three years previously. They did it the hard way too, in Galways backyard of Tuam stadium and after extra time. They showed great character to overhaul a four point deficit in the second half and to edge their opponents by a single point in a close finish to extra time.

They had notable performance from Ronan Mc Garrigle and Keelan Cawley in defence and top scoring man of the match David Maye.

This will be a close encounter, Sligo will have the advantage of playing in front of their home supporters and will be boosted by their great semi-final victory. Roscommon will have to overcome the weight of the expectations of their supporters as well as a very good Sligo team.
It is a game not to be missed to witness an early ' Easter Rising for one or other of the protagonists.

The game will be preceded by a Connacht Minor league encounter between the same counties
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Im honestly shitting myself, this team selection is vital, i have huge fears jonston will pick the wrong team and like 02 all the fans going to the final will know that aswell. Not rocket science, but if jonston starts the same team as galway were giving Roscommon a few point head start.

It worries me too, when I see Jonston quoted saying " it was outstanding performance against Galway" what game was he watching. It was mediocre performance IMO where one man got us out of jail and Galway were poor.

Farrandeelin

Which ever of ye wins it, remember Mayo are giving it out on loan. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

what kinda like a Anglo Irish bank loan  :D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Team is picked, McGovern, Daniel Maye, G Gilsenan, Gaughan, McGarrigle, B O Boyle, K Cawley, Burns, C Davey, P Kelly, P Clarke, D Gilsenan, Judge, Maye, Dunne. Absoultely gutted to be honest.

Its a joke, the management have learned nothing from Galway are giving roscommon a 4/5 pt headstart. Hynes, J Clarke must be disillusioned. ITS 2002 all over again when everyone bar the manager knew we had the wrong team out in connacht final. Sligo cannot afford this stupidity. Weve just thrown away another great chance. No one who was at the game paddys day will argue with me. Roscommon will not be as forgiving as Galway. Again we messed up a potential Connacht title and talented bunch of players.

Im not going into specifics but that team has so many holes in it i wouldnt know where to start.

Rossfan

Good try at Kerry Kutehoorism there Sligonian but we aint buying. ;) ;D
We know we're up against it but will travel in hope that we have enough good players to do the job.
Anyway let them at it and we'll see how she goes.

UP ROS
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

That's not cute hoorism by Sligonian. He's genuine in what he is saying and I tend to agree with a lot of it to be honest. I only hope and pray we can survive/keep in touch long enough that when our good subs are introduced we are close enough to possibly do it.

I have some sort of a mental illness when it comes to Sligo football that makes me always look for the positive in a situation so indulge me. Lads who maybe don't do the business the last day are getting another chance to do it and maybe they will. If they don't we have great options to bring in. Not disagreeing with Sligonian at all but seeing as the team is now picked lets go with it and support them as best we can. All it will take is one or two lads ho were not great the last day to perform well and we're in business. Fingers crossed.

Mano

Best of luck to Sligo this evening. Don't know much about the Sligo players as i have lost touch over the last few years with the exception of the Tourlestrane lads. Gaughan won't let you down is tenacious and tight marker. Dunne is fast, a good man to get the ball and run with it and take a point but tends to take the wrong option and be dispossessed easily. Surprised a stronger player is not in there to start

Contrary to what the Roscommon posters say Roscommon are favorites for this game. There are 3 that i know of from the all-Ireland winning minor team (Garvey, Carty, Shine) - Paddy power have them at 4/6 and they are seldom wrong.

Hopefully home advantage will count this year and we get a good start and get the sizeable home crowd behind us. Unfortunatley i won't be there as i am currently busy with hopefully a future Sligo player who arrived last week ;)

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on April 03, 2010, 11:01:16 AM
Best of luck to Sligo this evening. Don't know much about the Sligo players as i have lost touch over the last few years with the exception of the Tourlestrane lads. Gaughan won't let you down is tenacious and tight marker. Dunne is fast, a good man to get the ball and run with it and take a point but tends to take the wrong option and be dispossessed easily. Surprised a stronger player is not in there to start

Contrary to what the Roscommon posters say Roscommon are favorites for this game. There are 3 that i know of from the all-Ireland winning minor team (Garvey, Carty, Shine) - Paddy power have them at 4/6 and they are seldom wrong.

Hopefully home advantage will count this year and we get a good start and get the sizeable home crowd behind us. Unfortunatley i won't be there as i am currently busy with hopefully a future Sligo player who arrived last week ;)
Sure bring him in, there never too young you know ;) congrats..