Dún na nGall v Ard Mhacha - Páirc Uí Dhómhnail - Leitir Ceanainn - 11ú Aibreán

Started by PatDaly, March 28, 2010, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Well done to O'Rourke and his backroom team, promotion hasn't been achieved for a while.   

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: bennydorano on April 11, 2010, 08:44:34 PM
Well done to O'Rourke and his backroom team, promotion hasn't been achieved for a while.

I think its only fair to make that point Benny. I was vehemently opposed to O'Rourke's appointment and remain spectical but promotion was beyond most of our expectations at the start of the team and the management deserve real credit for achieving a top 2 finish. While I genuinely believe this was a poor enough year for division 2, winning 5 league matches including wins against 2 quarter finalists from 2009 is no mean achievement. Making amends for the shambles in Newry would cap a fine League season.

We were really good at stages today though you'd have to question Donegal's commitment. I think the match boiled down to the fact that Donegal were indifferent about facing Down in a fortnight's time whereas our lads were very keen to.

Can't think of any players who didn't do well today - the most encouraging thing is that, while Stevie played well, we were far from reliant on him for scores with 4 of our 6 starting defenders getting on the scoresheet. We were excellent at midfield and I'd agree with AFS that we'll probably keep that duo for the championship. Worth commenting as well that the much maligned Paul Hearty had a very good match.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mackers

Fair play to the management team and players, no mean feat in getting promotion although the standard in the division was poor. The team is starting to progress after a couple of wasted years under the previous management. The more fluid style of play suits a number of our players (i.e P Duffy, Andy Mallon, C McKeever, C Vernon). We're not the finished article but we're playing closer to our best than the last couple of years.
Michael Murphy won't come up against much better FBs than Donaghy this year. It was obvious that Donegal's main attacking strategy was to hit him with high ball which was meat and drink to Donaghy. I wasn't a big Lavery fan earlier in the year but in fairness he has played very well over the last few games and he was my MOTM today against a big Donegal midfield.
Don't buy into the fact that Donegal weren't interested today, promotion was a big prize and they could've thrown in a dummy performance in the final. Wouldn't be too annoyed about a Division 2 title myself but proving a point against this Down team certainly will sharpen the player's attitude over the next couple of weeks in training.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Shortso79

Just in from Letterkenny

Great Display from Armagh - some heat today - temperature in the car before we headed into the ground was 26 degrees

Totally wrecked from the long drive - will post a wee report tomorrow

Benny Barnaveld

Fair play to all involved!
At least the way O'Rourke has the team set up now they are a lot easier to watch.

On today I think it was a very complete performance.
Much like the Kildare match Donegal learned the danger of an unmarked McKeever at CHB.
Only T.Kernan disapponted and to a lesser extent Lavery, although I seem to be gpoing against the grain with Lavery

lawnseed

good show today hearty did really well im happy to say, mckeever was class, paul duffy good as well, arron was a mess scored a handy free then cancelled it out by giving away two scorable frees, made one good run out of defence 'unmarked' but laid it off and turned his back on the ball so as to make himself unavailable for the return pass dont know whats wrong but i think paddy's beginning to see the light FOR NOW hes simply not good enough a spell on the bench might waken him up. tony kernan is not a county player
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Benny Barnaveld

Quote from: lawnseed on April 11, 2010, 10:43:52 PM
good show today hearty did really well im happy to say, mckeever was class, paul duffy good as well, arron was a mess scored a handy free then cancelled it out by giving away two scorable frees, made one good run out of defence 'unmarked' but laid it off and turned his back on the ball so as to make himself unavailable for the return pass dont know whats wrong but i think paddy's beginning to see the light FOR NOW hes simply not good enough a spell on the bench might waken him up. tony kernan is not a county player

Yeah. As I mentioned in earlier threads I am surprised that A.Kernan has got so much game time in this line.
In my opinion it has been evident that the experiment has not worked.
And it is an issue for him that Duffy has been moved out to No.5 (glad to see this move), he is going to cause O'Rourke a real headache in the near future. He has not made his way into automatic selection in the HF line, nor would it be fair to include him in the HB line at the expense of Moriarty or Duffy.

T.Kernan playins was kinda a strange selection anyways, came back in from the cold.
Glad Henderson got a nice score when he came on.

Throw ball

Was a worthwhile trip to Letterkenny today. Beautiful weather and a good result, although some hike to and from the car! I think you are being incredibly harsh on Aaron Kernan. It is worth noting that since his move into the forwards Armagh have become a more fluid team. It has been noticable that he has been trying to speed up his play and at times has lost possession because of this. Although I am not convinced he is a CHF I cannot think of a current member of the panel who would do a better job. Also if we have good enough players to keep Aaron Kernan on the bench I will go and book my hotel for the third sunday in September now! Although I am not a great fan of Tony Kernan he does offer something and made many good runs today. Definitely worth his place on the panel although I think he is behind Forker and Henderson at the minute.
Thought Brian Mallon had a good game today. Now lets see if he can put two together.
All in all a good league campaign no matter the final result. 

Carbery

In this morning's Irish News there is a photograph of the Armagh players and management which includes Paddy O'Rourke, Justin McNulty and Donal Murtagh but there is another person whom I assume is also a member of the Armagh management included in the photograph - is it Mike McGurn whom I do not know?

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Carbery on April 12, 2010, 09:40:11 AM
In this morning's Irish News there is a photograph of the Armagh players and management which includes Paddy O'Rourke, Justin McNulty and Donal Murtagh but there is another person whom I assume is also a member of the Armagh management included in the photograph - is it Mike McGurn whom I do not know?
Don't know who it is but it ain't McGurn.
"Stercus accidit"

mackers

Quote from: Throw ball on April 12, 2010, 12:36:54 AM
Was a worthwhile trip to Letterkenny today. Beautiful weather and a good result, although some hike to and from the car! I think you are being incredibly harsh on Aaron Kernan. It is worth noting that since his move into the forwards Armagh have become a more fluid team. It has been noticable that he has been trying to speed up his play and at times has lost possession because of this. Although I am not convinced he is a CHF I cannot think of a current member of the panel who would do a better job. Also if we have good enough players to keep Aaron Kernan on the bench I will go and book my hotel for the third sunday in September now! Although I am not a great fan of Tony Kernan he does offer something and made many good runs today. Definitely worth his place on the panel although I think he is behind Forker and Henderson at the minute.
Thought Brian Mallon had a good game today. Now lets see if he can put two together.
I'd agree with that, thought AK had his best outing at CHF today, noticably speeding up his play. I think he's gonna be there come championship time. The FF line that finished the game yesterday of Henderson, Clarke and McDonnell is our most potent option.  Forker would be next in line for me, although I wouldn't rule out Jaimie Clarke if he could get a run out in Croker. TK should only be used if Stevie having an off day on the frees.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Orior

Which one of the Kernans are you?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Throw ball

Quote from: Orior on April 12, 2010, 11:37:25 AM

Which one of the Kernans are you?

Still waiting on the results of the DNA test. Will let you know! ;D

camloughlad

Mckeever showed us yesterday wat he's fit to do when he puts his mind to it let's hope he does the same against down and not go back til that shit he was at the las time we played them

Real1995

Nice guys always finish second!