Cork V Mayo - What odds on a draw?

Started by Mayo4Sam, March 28, 2010, 04:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Cork 0-11 Mayo 0-16

Hopefully we get the same result in 2 weeks time! But Cork didn't play at all in the 2nd half, so it will be a much different game.

Vaughan was  born in Cork but the family moved to Ballinrobe a few years ago (not sure how long ago). I wouldn't say he was bred in Cork though... he played underage for Mayo
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cosmo Kramer

Nice one. Good to get a run in Croker early in the season.

Of course this result will count for nothing next time out.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: FL/MAYO on April 11, 2010, 04:03:12 PM
Why does Vaughan play with Mayo if he is born and breed in Cork....per Mid West?

Do you think he should drive down to Cork three nights a week for training? :P

Cosmo Kramer

Tryone and Derry have been relegated. i believe this means that Mayo now hold the longest uninterupted run in Division 1 without being relegated, dating back to 1999.

Jinxy

Hmmm.
Well I guess we know now who Cork would rather play in a final in Croke Park. :o
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Jinxy on April 11, 2010, 04:20:11 PM
Hmmm.
Well I guess we know now who Cork would rather play in a final in Croke Park. :o

Ya, I think we knew that during the week when they made 10 changes! :)

Farrandeelin

It's nice to win any game and that's my philosophy. I couldn't believe my ears when Mike Finnerty said Mayo don't have to score any more points when they went 5/6 points up with a couple of minutes to go! My own school of thought is that you punish the opponents at every opportunity.

Another win on the road, against a largely experimental Cork team, but someone alluded to the fact that Eugene McGee reckons Cork's squad is the strongest in the country, well to me it seems that Mayo's squad is damn good too. Whether or not they will win the league will be another thing as Cork's big men will be back for that one.

Parsons never got going today. I wonder if he will be a liability in the championship when the stakes are high? Caff didn't do too bad at full back, Barett was very good again and got motm on the radio. To be honest, I can't see Gardiner winning back his place that easily. Also it was nice to hear that Tom Cunniffe was on the panel once again. And if anyone told Mayo fans in general before the league campaign started that we would be in a league final we would have probably laughed and scoffed at the notion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Just back from Cork. Well what can I say, a fantastic display from Mayo today. They defended from numer 1 to number 15. No real stars in my opinion just an all round team performance, and Mayo where quite accurate today. Everytime a Cork man touched the ball there where 1-4 Mayomen at him. The Cork lads where hounded throughout. Unlike other counties who defend tightly I have seen this year Mayo also attacked and attacked in numbers, mixing up our running game with long balls. Ronaldson seemed to be in a sweeper role again. Mayo made very few errors forced or otherwise and nearly punished Cork every time, twice in succession they punished Cork just before the half, a misspass by a Cork player was punished with a quick free, Quirke kicked the ball out quick, but Mayo where alert, won the kick out and score. A few Mayo players nearly scored off rebounds by blocking balls right up near the Cork goal. I would find it hard to find a man of the match as it was a team effort. Mayo blitzed Cork at the start of the second half, scoring 4 in 3 minutes. In the last 5 minutes Cork did give up, because they where unable to make any headway in the previous 30 of the second half when they had tried. In that last 5 minutes they manage to get Mayo's lead from 6 to 5.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Lar Naparka

Well, I'm just back from the City of the Funny Porter and had a very pleasant day it has to be said. Especially when I know I will be recouping most of my expenses from Paddy Power tomorrow.
No doubt about it, we are not the finished article yet; it's more a case of a work in progress but things are coming along just fine. I was extremely impressed at the way all our backs stuck to their tasks even when Cork threatened to run riot.
I had nightmares of a complete rout early on in the first half as Cork were dominating midfield and launched attack after attack. It seemed an endless stream of strapping big langers were cleaving our defence at will but it became apparent that their FF line was going to have a hard time getting close to goal.
I think Clarkie was only tested once and he was equal to the task. I can't recall him being seriously tested after that. Throughout the field the amount of ball that Mayo won by harrying and hounding was unreal.
The lilt of Cork voices around me changed to growls and snarls as the game wore on. The likes of 'Glory, Colm, glory' began to change to 'Will you stop running around in circles and do something with the bloody ball, you big b*****ks?'
Colm wasn't the only one either to get this treatment; if there ever was a conspiracy theory, nobody told the Cork fans. Counihan wasn't a happy bunny either or if he was, he has a funny way of showing it. He became increasingly agitated as the game progressed.
I definitely think Cork eased off in the second half as they didn't attempt to step up a gear when Mayo surged ahead. However, part of that was due to the fact that Mayo weren't slackening off one bit.
Cork will definitely be stronger and more focused for the final but then so will Mayo. Cork were by no means an experimental side; most of the replacements have plenty of IC experience but the changes unsettled the overall team. they lacked the cohesion Mayo had.

I intend paying another visit to Paddy Power when he posts the odds.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jen Cui

Hmmm.

Dublin  ???

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Jen Cui on April 11, 2010, 11:13:52 PM
Hmmm.

Dublin  ???

Kilkenny footballers!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

marym

Counihan didn't show his hand at all. He rested Carey, Shields, Lynch, O Leary, Kissane, Alan O Connor, Kelly, Goulding and Kerrigan. Cadogan is in Portugal with the hurlers, Miskella and P O Neill still injured. Also heard that they are in the middle of very heavy training. He took them to  Bere Island last weekend for 3 days of a  Boot camps .

rosnarun

and
they played in the wrong studs and the grass was too long the sun was shining too bright so couldn't see mayo in the white shirts
yada yada yada
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: marym on April 11, 2010, 11:52:36 PM
Counihan didn't show his hand at all. He rested Carey, Shields, Lynch, O Leary, Kissane, Alan O Connor, Kelly, Goulding and Kerrigan. Cadogan is in Portugal with the hurlers, Miskella and P O Neill still injured. Also heard that they are in the middle of very heavy training. He took them to  Bere Island last weekend for 3 days of a  Boot camps .

Delighted. A Cork person at last.
We know all that above by the way. Everybody knows Counihans A list. Well most of them anyway. As much as he does himself anyway. It s fairly obvious.

marym

The three main men for Cork in this league are Kerrigan , Goulding and Kelly.  If any of these have an off day or get injured, Mayo have a great chance.