AFL 2010

Started by Never beat the deeler, March 25, 2010, 10:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: ballinaman on May 02, 2010, 03:35:36 AM
Good game last night, i'll be going to as many swans games as i can. Strange atmosphere though, wouldn't have people foaming at the mouth like you would back home, maybe thats just the sydney crowd or the fact that it wasn't a knock out game but just thought it was fairly tame!

Mixture of a few things I'd imagine, but mainly depends on where your sitting. The rabid supporters are members of the club, they pay upfront at the start of the season and get the best seats in the house. A very enjoyable game though - some really nice football played by both teams. Bradshaw kicked some amazing goals

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on May 02, 2010, 07:49:51 AM
Good game last night, i'll be going to as many swans games as i can. Strange atmosphere though, wouldn't have people foaming at the mouth like you would back home, maybe thats just the sydney crowd or the fact that it wasn't a knock out game but just thought it was fairly tame!

Mixture of a few things I'd imagine, but mainly depends on where your sitting. The rabid supporters are members of the club, they pay upfront at the start of the season and get the best seats in the house. A very enjoyable game though - some really nice football played by both teams. Bradshaw kicked some amazing goals
True. I was far side of the pitch from the members stand at the halfway line in the lower tier. Setanta having a stormer for the blues today, cracking game or should i say a ripper of a game.

JimStynes

Big Setanta kicked 5 today  :o Hes having some season.

Aerlik

He is indeed having some season and with the players around him it can only get better.  In fact Ratten is on the official AFL website stating he could be the club's answer to the departure of Fevola.  Pity they lost though.

Just home from subiaco where Freo were just way too good for the snobs.  5-1 for the season, when everyone was predicting we'd be 1-5.  Wrong!  The young boys are really firing this season.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: ballinaman on May 02, 2010, 07:54:43 AM
Quote from: stephenite on May 02, 2010, 07:49:51 AM

True. I was far side of the pitch from the members stand at the halfway line in the lower tier. Setanta having a stormer for the blues today, cracking game or should i say a ripper of a game.

So did Hanley play then?

(I couldn't give a toss about the AFL, I'm just wondering if there's any possibility of us recruiting a centre half back for next year or the year after!)
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

JimStynes

No didn't play but had another good game for the lions 2nds. Only a matter of time before he gets a call up to the senior side

Aerlik

Pearce Hanley is to make his AFL return this weekend against Fremantle.  Insofar as I wish him well,  just wish to hell he wasn't playing against Freo.  The last time an Irish player debuted was Quinn for Essendon.  He did well, but has done little since.  And Freo lost that one too.

The odds are very much stacked in favour of a Lions win.  However, Freo are the surprise team of the season so far and are fast gaining a bit of respect for their agressive style of footy.

Like I said, I just wish Hanley was coming back against some other team. :(

Aerlik

Happy days...Freo win their first ever game at the Gabba.  They kicked 15.23 and won by 13.  Frantic last quarter.  Bring on Collingwood next friday night in Perth.  I will be there.

stephenite

Swans got tanked by Geelong in Skilled stadium this afternoon. Caught most of it on D'telly , not too many positives to take from it for Paul Roos

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on May 09, 2010, 10:36:02 AM
Swans got tanked by Geelong in Skilled stadium this afternoon. Caught most of it on D'telly , not too many positives to take from it for Paul Roos
Saw it too, jaysus...Ablett is some player, mopped up some serious amount of ball. Swans beaten all over the field, swans played well up till half time and just got murdered in the 3rd...

Did Hanley get any game time Aerlik??

JimStynes

Another good perfromance from Kennelly today, hes fitted back into the swans team with ease.

Aerlik

Game wasn't shown over here. We had Australian Ironman on instead.  Ablett is some player.  I was pretty pissed off with him last year as he lay down the minute anyone came near him, but this year he was in the thick of things all over the place.  Him and Tom Chapman are a great duo.  I'm glad Freo only play them once.  The Sydney defeat leaves Freo 2nd.  The highest the club has ever been.

It annoys me the bias that Melbourne commentators show.  On Friday night they were bemoaning how unfortunate Melbourne were to lose to Western Bulldogs and brought up the Collingwood game earlier in the season too.  FFS, Melbourne had the chances and didn't take them.  On the other hand, Freo and dare I say the Eagles have been slammed constantly as simply not good enough.

Big game tomorrow night for Setanta v. St.Kilda.  This will prove/test his ability.

Never beat the deeler

Fair play to Freo. I didnt think theyd beat the Lions at the Gabba (hasnt happened in 15yrs but theres a first time for everything). Pearse got limited enough time, think he had 10 disposals.

Tarrant was immense on Jonny Brown, keeping him to one goal. Fev only got three out of McPharlin.

A pity for the Lions to lose three on the bounce after having an impressive start. Injuries starting to mount too:
Brennan, Drummond, Patfull, Merrritt, Clark.

(BTW Aerlik I'm sure it was only a typo, but Geelong's forward unit looked extremely strong yesterday:
Big lads Podsiadly, Johnson, Mooney, and small forwards Ablett, Paul Chapman and Varcoe all multiple goal scorers)
Hasta la victoria siempre

Aerlik

Oops, you're right, it is Paul Chapman.  A tank of a man.  When he, TOM Hartley(sp?) and Abblett were in the middle of the park it was difficult enough at times to know who was who.  Only Abblett's white boots were the difference.

A superb win for Setanta and Carlton tonight.  They thrashed St.Kilda and that keeps Freo in second on the ladder.  There'll be a couple of very happy lads at work tomorrow.   Setanta kicked a couple and missed some too.  It's good to see the Carlton back in the top I reckon.  It takes a bit of the attention off the maggots and Essendon.

Aerlik

Setanta kicked another three today, and should have kicked at least three more, as Carlton beat Port Adelaide in a great game to watch.  The lead swung from end to end throughout the game but in the end the power of Chris Judd in midfield was one of the most telling influences.  The win now puts Carlton in fifth position.
Tadhg's Swans got a belting from the Western Bulldogs in the game which saw Barry Hall play against his old team for the first time.
Hanley's Lions got slaughtered by Geelong in Brisbane, but Pearce didn't make the panel. 
And I won't say too much about Fremantle's loss to Collingwood on Friday night, suffice to say the winners midfield were particularly impressive,the umpires were particularly unimpressive (True), and I have ended up with the sorest bloody throat and feckin cold for my efforts.  But we're still third.