AFL 2010

Started by Never beat the deeler, March 25, 2010, 10:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

And the upsets continue.  Carlton had a wonderful win over Geelong just now.  Big Setanta, although not having his kicking boots on,  certainly played his part in a great performance by the Blues all over the park.

Going to be a tough season.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ballinaman

Carlton were very imprssive alright, Judd is some player. Setanta looked a bit awkward in comparsion to the 3 other quick forwards Carlton had but he did well enough.

Club Rossa

Hawks beaten again,poor enough start to the season.

red hander

Quote from: johnpower on April 25, 2010, 11:20:33 PM
Quote from: red hander on April 25, 2010, 05:37:40 PM
Quote from: Aerlik on April 25, 2010, 05:20:13 AM
Round 4 last weekend didn't provide any real "shocks" as such but this weekend (round 5) has given us two and we're only half way through.

Melbourne, at one time favourites for the wooden spoon, walloped Brisbane Lions by 53 points yesterday in Melbourne.  Great to see Jim Stynes in the crowd cheering on his men. 
Port Adelaide, fresh off a 90 point-plus hiding from Geelong last weekend, beat St.Kilda by 10 last night.  This was an average game to be honest.

Just hope Richmond don't get above my boys tonight.

Just back from Oz after month out there where I took in Brisbane v Carlton at the Gabba and Carlton v Essendon at the MCG.  Melbourne's tanking of Brisbane is some shock, I was very impressed by the Lions with Fevola and the captain (forgot his name) up front.  Carlton and Setanta were poor enough against the Bombers... was talking to a former AFL player in Melbourne whose three sons play currently and he was saying he didn't think Walsh would make it at St Kilda... impressed by the family atmosphere at games, very like the GAA

Interesting to hear that Walsh is unlikely to make it .Any idea what the reasons are ?? Is he too late to the game or is a case of just not fitting in ?

He was intimating it was more of the former than the latter.  He also said young Clark is very keen to go back to Oz.  Dunno if there's any truth in it, but this guy still has a lot of contacts within the game through his own career and that of his sons...

stephenite

Some shocks over the weekend - and I don't what's going on over Perth but Freo are flying. Lookiong forward to seeing the Swans take on the Lions this weekend

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on April 27, 2010, 01:22:16 AM
Some shocks over the weekend - and I don't what's going on over Perth but Freo are flying. Lookiong forward to seeing the Swans take on the Lions this weekend
Same here, am heading to it, will be first live AFL game i've been too,looking forward to it.

stephenite

Quote from: ballinaman on April 27, 2010, 01:09:56 PM
Some shocks over the weekend - and I don't what's going on over Perth but Freo are flying. Looking forward to seeing the Swans take on the Lions this weekend
Same here, am heading to it, will be first live AFL game i've been too,looking forward to it.

Are you indeed now? Thought you were the other side of the Tasman with all the sheep?

Heading to the game with the wife and the car so will skip meeting up with any young stragglers from home who are out on the beer but will be heading along to other games where full sessions will be in order so let me know if you're hanging around the Emerald city for the foreseeable

Aerlik

I reallly hope you enjoy it.  Perhaps Stephenite can fill you in on the game in Sydney.

I can't comment on the intensity of Sydney-Brisbane games as I've neither been to one nor can understand the passion among fans in two predominantly NRL cities.  However, the situation is definitely very different in the west.  It is yet again a sell-out and I'm trying all avenues to try and get tickets for the first derby of the year here in Perth.  I'm a Freo member so will get to the second game but would love to see the boys hammer the eagles this Sunday.  If we do it'll be 5 and 1 v. 1 and 5.

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on April 28, 2010, 07:06:25 AM
Some shocks over the weekend - and I don't what's going on over Perth but Freo are flying. Looking forward to seeing the Swans take on the Lions this weekend

Are you indeed now? Thought you were the other side of the Tasman with all the sheep?

Heading to the game with the wife and the car so will skip meeting up with any young stragglers from home who are out on the beer but will be heading along to other games where full sessions will be in order so let me know if you're hanging around the Emerald city for the foreseeable
Indeed I was but a job offer in Sydney was too good to turn down, yep, i'll be around for the forseeable future so sessions will be had. May break out the Mayo jersey on sat (despite the standard disaster that was last sunday) so give us a shout if ya see me..

Never beat the deeler

There's talk of Pearse Hanley playing this weekend for the Lions in whats sure to be a great game against the Swans
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400305&page=12
Hasta la victoria siempre

Aerlik

Got tickets for the derby...woohoo. ;D ;D Happy.

Club Rossa

What are admission prices for AFL games?

red hander

There seems to be different prices for where you sit, but the cheaper ones go very quickly.  I paid 52 Aussie dollars (a more expensive seat, but cheaper ones had sold out) into the Gabba and was basically behind the posts and close to the pitch.  Into the MCG was cheaper at 35 Aussie for similar seats if a bit further back, though the MCG is twice size of Gabba (there were 71,000 at that game between Carlton and Essendon)

Aerlik

Apart from the Grand Final and occasionally the ANZAC game, it seems to be fairly straightforward getting a ticket for a game in Melbourne and I've been told they are much cheaper that over here.  I have just paid $40 each for 2 tickets in the nosebleeds for the derby.  Tickets around the middle of the park are all members only and are bloody expensive if they come on the market, ie. the person sells them back to the AFL, at least $50.  Behind the goals are much cheaper, about $23, but better craic as you get all sorts in shouting.

ballinaman

Good game last night, i'll be going to as many swans games as i can. Strange atmosphere though, wouldn't have people foaming at the mouth like you would back home, maybe thats just the sydney crowd or the fact that it wasn't a knock out game but just thought it was fairly tame!