Kurt Cobain confirmed as a Tyrone man...... (smart ass remarks will follow)

Started by give her dixie, March 24, 2010, 01:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/kurt-cobains-roots-traced-to-co-tyrone-14737909.html

Nirvana legend Kurt Cobain's roots traced to Co Tyrone

Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Kurt Cobain

The rolling hills of Tyrone may not scream rock legend to the average person but one family's journey into their ancestry has uncovered a little piece of musical history.

The roots of Kurt Cobain, lead singer of cult band Nirvana, have been traced back to the small village of Inishatieve near Pomeroy in the Red Hand county.

Fionnola O'Reilly was moved to delve into her family tree after an American relative hinted that there may be a connection to the famous rock singer dating back to the 1800s.

After nearly six years of ploughing through family records Fionnola and her sister Maeve Erwin confirmed that their long-lost cousin was indeed the legendary Nirvana frontman.

They discovered that Kurt's ancestors Samuel and Letitia, whose surname was originally spelt Cobane, left their humble farm five generations ago bound for Canada before settling and working as shoemakers in the state of Washington in the US.

The wild and mountainous terrain of the village of Inishatieve is a world away from the mean streets of Aberdeen in Washington where Kurt, who married the controversial Courtney Love in 1992, grew up.

While Nirvana went on to have massive success with well-known hits, including Smells like Teen Spirit, the tragic singer developed a drug problem in his teens and committed suicide at the age of 27.

But the band, a former member of whom founded modern-day chart-toppers Foo Fighters, still has a cult following worldwide.

Fionnola's niece Caoimhe Kelly, who is Kurt's fifth cousin and still lives in the small Co Tyrone townland, was delighted when she found she was related to rock royalty.

"I am a big fan of Nirvana and thought it was really cool when I was told I'm Kurt's cousin," said the 18-year-old.

"I've told most of my friends. Some of them haven't heard of him but most of them are impressed.

"I play the guitar and I'd love to be in a band. Someday I would love to be as good as Kurt was."

Fionnola's father Pat Kelly, who lives with his wife Eileen in Inishatieve, said the famous family tree discovery was of more interest to his children and grandchildren than himself.

"To be honest I didn't know who Kurt Cobain was or who Nirvana were but my children were quick to tell me," he said.

"There are some Cobanes living around us here in Tyrone and I think there are a few in Antrim, but this is the first time the link has been discovered and written down."

Fionnola, who alongside her siblings presented her father with the completed family tree on his 70th birthday last month, said she is looking forward to bringing this history to life one day.

"I would love to see where Kurt was based during his lifetime so we will have to plan a trip to Aberdeen and Seattle sometime down the line for sure," said Finnola.

"Maybe when my baby son is all grown up."
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Denn Forever

Reminds me of the Kevin McAleer sketch about

emm emm emm young Seamus, jays he could knock a great tune otta that guitar and when we got the electirictity.  Ah now those were the days, up at the ould Hendrix house.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

T Fearon

I'll bet Pomeroy's most famous native Philomena Begley is mightily pissed off with this news...kind of steals her thunder ;D

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: give her dixie on March 24, 2010, 01:30:08 PM
Fionnola's niece Caoimhe Kelly, who is Kurt's fifth cousin and still lives in the small Co Tyrone townland, was delighted when she found she was related to rock royalty.

"I am a big fan of Nirvana and thought it was really cool when I was told I'm Kurt's cousin," said the 18-year-old.

"I've told most of my friends. Some of them haven't heard of him but most of them are impressed.

"I play the guitar and I'd love to be in a band. Someday I would love to be as good as Kurt was."

Cringy Cringy reading there.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Why is it when he sings the lyrics "In denial, In denial" I hear "Bloody Niall, Bloody Niall"?
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

It is a pity that Kurt's forbears were not born a few miles away in the Rock. That village could then have placed the word "Grunge" before its title and become a tourist attraction like Woodstock :D

Shamrock Shore

Of course he'll be related to Brian Boru.

As far as I can make out, whenever anyone does a celebrity ancestor search, they find them related to either Brian Boru, Conor McNeasa or Niall of the Nine Sausages.

Complete load of tosh.

Puckoon

His pomeroy roots came out prominently in the smash hit "senseless apprentice".

give her dixie

Could you imagine him singing "The Mountains Of Pomeroy" before the All Ireland in Croker.......
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

mountainboii

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 24, 2010, 02:51:03 PM

As far as I can make out, whenever anyone does a celebrity ancestor search, they find them related to either Brian Boru, Conor McNeasa or Niall of the Nine Sausages.

Complete load of tosh.

On QI last night they were saying that anyone of European ancestry will be be able to trace their ancestry to any other European that has reproduced from before the 13th century. They didn't explain it too well and I wouldn't be surprised if 'it was a bit more complicated than that', but the suggestion was that there has been so much intermingling and criss crossing in the subsequent generations that you'll inevitably be able to find a pathway back to whoever you want. Apparently the genealogist that figured this out was working from UCD.

haveaharp

Quote from: AFS on March 24, 2010, 03:14:55 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 24, 2010, 02:51:03 PM

Complete load of tosh.

On QI last night they were saying that anyone of European ancestry will be be able to trace their ancestry to any other European that has reproduced from before the 13th century. They didn't explain it too well and I wouldn't be surprised if 'it was a bit more complicated than that', but the suggestion was that there has been so much intermingling and criss crossing in the subsequent generations that you'll inevitably be able to find a pathway back to whoever you want. Apparently the genealogist that figured this out was working from UCD.

Sounds like shite. Derrylaughan people are only related to each other.

tyssam5

'The wild and mountainous terrain of the village of Inishatieve is a world away from the mean streets of Aberdeen in Washington'

Mmmm, not t.o many mean streets in Aberdeen WA, unless you happen to get attacked by a bear or mountain lion, it would be a fair bit more wild and mountainous than Pomeroy. There endeth the geography lesson.

Carmen Stateside

You will find that Inishatieve may be wild and mountainous, but it aint no small village outside Pomeroy, its a townland in Carrickmore.

muppet

Obviously poor Kurt didn't take it too well when he was told.........
MWWSI 2017