Good Priests, what have they done for you.

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, March 17, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

D'Arcy would turn up to the opening of an old would. Put a microphone in front of him and he would speak out about anything, even better if he has a celeb to rub shoulders with while he is doing it.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Ulick on March 18, 2010, 12:32:44 PM
D'Arcy would turn up to the opening of an old would. Put a microphone in front of him and he would speak out about anything, even better if he has a celeb to rub shoulders with while he is doing it.

That's a good one... usually is, 'he'd turn up for the opening of an envelope.'

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ulick on March 18, 2010, 12:32:44 PM

So where stand you Donagh Ulick on the Sean Brady scandal? D'Arcy might like the mic but at least he didn't cover up for paedophilles. He is also well placed to comment as he himself suffered sexual abuse.

Ulick

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 18, 2010, 01:13:20 PM

So where stand you Donagh Ulick on the Sean Brady scandal?

I haven't been following the news - what has he done?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 18, 2010, 10:59:43 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on March 18, 2010, 10:57:49 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 18, 2010, 10:35:07 AM
Pathetic thread because the church is under the coshe for child abuse and cover ups. I don't think anyone is saying there aren't good priests. I know quite  a few and good teachers, electricians, solicitors, shop keepers....

Not pathetic at all. Just showing that the CC and priests aren't all bad. Are people not allowed to show another side to the priests other than the one currently under scrunity? There should be balance to any argument. No one is going to be saying that these things are going to make up for what has happened within the CC. But it can show that not everything the CC has done was evil.

Who's saying all priests are bad?

Some fella rang in our local radio this morning and said it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

passedit

I'd like to nominate Fr Conway who, at a time when my attendance at mass was not my decision, had the good grace to race through it (record time for a sunday mass 18 min).

Also he hammered seven shades of shite out of a couple of UDA men who arrived at the parochial house to shoot him one night.

Ps I suspect if he won the award his acceptance speech would be a touch shorter than Ted's.

PPs I remember at the time of Dermot Morgan's untimely demise, there were those who reckoned it was God's judgement for his ridiculing of the catholic church.  ::) Surprising the lack of lightening bolts at the minute.
Don't Panic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on March 18, 2010, 01:14:38 PM

Havent read the papers, heard the radio, watched the tv news or checked the news on the Internet in the past week?! Really?!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2010, 02:11:11 PM

Havent read the papers, heard the radio, watched the tv news or checked the news on the Internet in the past week?! Really?!
'scandal' ?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 18, 2010, 02:50:43 PM

'scandal' ?
Come on LB, this is a scandal.

Ulick

Well let me think. I got the Irish Times on Saturday, probably Friday as well and I don't recall anything. Can't say I watch much tv apart from viewing movies I've downloaded. My radio listening has been downloaded poscasts apart from the Gerry Anderson show and I don't think he's mentioned any Sean Brady scandal. So no I'm not aware of the Sean Brady scandal. Must do better I guess.

Franko

'scandal' ?

What else would you call it?

ziggysego

Quote from: Ulick on March 18, 2010, 03:09:32 PM

Well let me think. I got the Irish Times on Saturday, probably Friday as well and I don't recall anything. Can't say I watch much tv apart from viewing movies I've downloaded. My radio listening has been downloaded poscasts apart from the Gerry Anderson show and I don't think he's mentioned any Sean Brady scandal. So no I'm not aware of the Sean Brady scandal. Must do better I guess.

Yeah, even MMcG commented on it.
Testing Accessibility

magpie seanie

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 18, 2010, 11:15:46 AM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 18, 2010, 10:21:03 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 17, 2010, 11:08:11 PM
Fr Mulvey in Strabane built the Chapel, Community centre and Melmount Community Care.
He was also fearless in speaking out against RUC harrasment in the 80's GDA when others in the same town were not so vocal, the present incumbent there is also a good man, Fr Doc - well respected by everyone who knows him.

Father Doc has the uncanny knack of being able to relate to everyone in Strabane regardless of their age.  Quite different from his immediate predecessor.

I know Fr Doc as well and he is a really top bloke.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 18, 2010, 03:03:35 PM

'scandal' ?
the then Fr. Brady thing is a 'scandal' ?

the child abuse thing is more than a scandal, it deserves capital punishment for sex offenders, rapists, child abusers etc
but part of the whole problem in this country is that all abusers and people who flout the law get off scott free - the sex offenders, the killers, the financial fraudsters, the legal cheats, the erseholes that waste hospital/courts time etc
all deserve at least custodial sentences.

the Then Fr Brady was a mute idiot afraid to squeal on his own church - maybe he thought he could rectify things later etc
either way he and all others that could have done something about it should be sacked.
That way the Catholic church has a clean bill of health and no legacy from past disgraces remain.

but a 'scandal' for not squealing - no.
sad and spineless - yes.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 18, 2010, 04:13:19 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 18, 2010, 03:03:35 PM

'scandal' ?
the then Fr. Brady thing is a 'scandal' ?

the child abuse thing is more than a scandal, it deserves capital punishment for sex offenders, rapists, child abusers etc
but part of the whole problem in this country is that all abusers and people who flout the law get off scott free - the sex offenders, the killers, the financial fraudsters, the legal cheats, the erseholes that waste hospital/courts time etc
all deserve at least custodial sentences.

the Then Fr Brady was a mute idiot afraid to squeal on his own church - maybe he thought he could rectify things later etc
either way he and all others that could have done something about it should be sacked.
That way the Catholic church has a clean bill of health and no legacy from past disgraces remain.

but a 'scandal' for not squealing - no.
sad and spineless - yes.
I think you are on the same page as me anyway, you are saying he has to go/be sacked, that in itself is a scandal is it not?  That the Primate of All Ireland will walk over this is a major scandal I would say.