Good Priests, what have they done for you.

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, March 17, 2010, 11:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 18, 2010, 10:21:03 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 17, 2010, 11:08:11 PM
Fr Mulvey in Strabane built the Chapel, Community centre and Melmount Community Care.
He was also fearless in speaking out against RUC harrasment in the 80's GDA when others in the same town were not so vocal, the present incumbent there is also a good man, Fr Doc - well respected by everyone who knows him.

Father Doc has the uncanny knack of being able to relate to everyone in Strabane regardless of their age.  Quite different from his immediate predecessor. 

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

pintsofguinness

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 18, 2010, 11:06:57 AM
Not sure pints. But sure this thread is just pointing out that there are some priests that have done hugh amounts of good. Should this not be highlighted when the CC is getting ripped to shreds (Rightly so IMO)?
I dont see any point, no one is saying all priests are bad and considering previous comments on the child abuse scandal from the drunk who started the thread I suspect his motives aren't just about demonstrating there are good priests. 

If there were some stories about a doctor or solicitor or teacher in the news where they've done wrong we wouldn't all start threads about the good doctors/solicitors/teachers me know.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

For what its worth I know more good priests than bad. The timing of this thread seems to imply that there is something unfair about exposing Paedophilles and there protectors within the catholic church and that this is some attempt to balance this up. I don't believe anyone anywhere said all priests were bad and are responsible. For that reason I do believe the motive behind this thread is indeed a pathetic attempt by a poster who tends only to post on these grave matters when he is full of drink.

supersarsfields

But it's the Catholic Church that is rightly so getting hammered for what it has done. Surely you can understand how priests that weren't involved in the crimes committed and that knew nothing about it are feeling at the minute. Alot of people are tarring all priests with the crimes. Which as this thread ( I hope) was started to show that some have done great work for their community.
I know what your saying regarding if a solicitor or accountant did this there wouldn't be the same defence, and your right. But I believe priests are more closely linked with the CC than say a Solicitor is with the law society. If the law society as a whole were getting bad press I don't think too many individual solicitors would be too worried unless they were mentioned themselves. I don't think priests think like that. Maybe it's the vocation side of things that makes the link closer, I genuinely don't know but that's my views on it anyway.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on March 18, 2010, 10:36:40 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 17, 2010, 11:08:11 PM
Fr Mulvey in Strabane built the Chapel, Community centre and Melmount Community Care.

All with his own money?

He certainly was a good priest.
I think he meant he was the brickie.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 18, 2010, 11:29:45 AM
For what its worth I know more good priests than bad. The timing of this thread seems to imply that there is something unfair about exposing Paedophilles and there protectors within the catholic church and that this is some attempt to balance this up. I don't believe anyone anywhere said all priests were bad and are responsible. For that reason I do believe the motive behind this thread is indeed a pathetic attempt by a poster who tends only to post on these grave matters when he is full of drink.

Well, Fr Brian Darcy and Fr McCafferty seem to be very genuine courageous priests who have spoken out about these scandals and the behaviour of their church.  Not a hope of them becoming bishops though. The church needs leaders of that calibre who will challenge wrong doing in their ranks. 

Doogie Browser

Brian D'arcy is a beacon, from the start he has said that it is moral law and more importantly criminal law that has to be respected rather than this canon law nonsense.

longrunsthefox

Pity then that good men like him don't be elevated to the top as they speak out. I know a fellow was in the church (Carmalite priests) and he told me speaking up or free thinking was a no-no and that is this decade.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 18, 2010, 11:17:16 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on March 18, 2010, 11:06:57 AM
Not sure pints. But sure this thread is just pointing out that there are some priests that have done hugh amounts of good. Should this not be highlighted when the CC is getting ripped to shreds (Rightly so IMO)?
I dont see any point, no one is saying all priests are bad and considering previous comments on the child abuse scandal from the drunk who started the thread I suspect his motives aren't just about demonstrating there are good priests. 

If there were some stories about a doctor or solicitor or teacher in the news where they've done wrong we wouldn't all start threads about the good doctors/solicitors/teachers me know.

What the fcuk do you know about me, if you disagree with my point then say so, resorting to personal abuse is just pathetic.

Myles the thread was started as a response to the threads slating the church (on the whole rightly so), I just want to show that the CC do more good then bad, this is in no way an attempt to justify or balance the actions of the sick few Priests in the church. And again btw way do you feel the need to say I was drunk, you have done this in the past also when I have said things you disagree with, I stopped posting on the Abuse threads as I had stated my point and the threads are going round in circles at this stage.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 18, 2010, 11:39:13 AM

Well, Fr Brian Darcy and Fr McCafferty seem to be very genuine courageous priests who have spoken out about these scandals and the behaviour of their church.  Not a hope of them becoming bishops though. The church needs leaders of that calibre who will challenge wrong doing in their ranks.

I do believe that Fr McCafferty will be elevated and possibly also Fr D'Arcy, they are just the sort of Priests that the Church in Ireland needs right now to show some forward thinking.
Tbc....

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 18, 2010, 11:54:57 AM

I do believe that Fr McCafferty will be elevated and possibly also Fr D'Arcy, they are just the sort of Priests that the Church in Ireland needs right now to show some forward thinking.

Not a hope of them being elevated to canon or bishop or watever ... the last thing Papa needs or wants is these two boys about the Vatican speaking out the truth. 
Speaking of Canons,  Gaoth Dobhair, you seem to be a loose one  :o 

Ulick

Brian D'Arcy is a self-important, self-publicising, sanctimonious p***k.

Brian D'Arcy

Father Buzz Cagney

Doogie Browser

If Ulick doesn't like him you can be sure he is a decent fella  :D

longrunsthefox

He has consistently spoke out on child abuse and had the courage to go on the Late Late Show when the rest of them hid out. Watever his failings, he did that and is to be applauded. 

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 18, 2010, 11:59:58 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 18, 2010, 11:54:57 AM

Not a hope of them being elevated to canon or bishop or watever ... the last thing Papa needs or wants is these two boys about the Vatican speaking out the truth. 
Speaking of Canons,  Gaoth Dobhair, you seem to be a loose one  :o

I'm sure I don't know what you mean.
Tbc....