Brian O'Driscoll- legend

Started by longrunsthefox, March 13, 2010, 12:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Brian O'Driscoll must be the greatest sports man Ireland has ever produced. His courage and workrate is unbelievable and his incredible skill. I read last week he is the fifth highest scorer in Irish rugby history and does even take penalties or conversions. That is remarkable. He dragged Ireland over the wining line for that Grand Slam too.
For me he is legend.
While I have been accused of thinking the players in the past were the best-Pele etc...  defenently can't think of anyone with his all round contribution to Ireland in any sport...
Happy 100th cap.... hope he is around for another while yet.

stephenite

I wouldn't call myself a huge rugby head, although I am sitting up to watch the game tonight, however I have to agree with Fox - rarely do we get an Irish person that is recognised as one of the better players on the globe in their field - living in Oz the amount of times people want to talk about Brian O'Driscoll when out and about is one thing I've noticed.

That tackle that took him out in the NZ lions tour still annoys me as these guys like to talk tough but the cowardly way he was done in that match proved they were scared of what he could do to them.

Deserves all the recognition and praise that comes his way this week.

I anticipate the argument that rugby is not a true global game, like soccer or golf and that Harrington deserver the honour of Irelands greatest ever, there is a point in that but I prefer to celebrate the individuals achievements and his have been many and great.

Nally Stand

Canavan never got the opportunity to prove himself in rugby yet so I'll reserve judgement on O'Driscoll for now;-):-D
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

put-it-up

Rugby is far from my preferred sport but I admire everything about BOD. Courage, passion, skilll. work-rate, leadership. The man is an absolute legend.

He is one of the reasons I watch Rugby and makes me proud to be Irish

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 13, 2010, 12:35:34 PM
Canavan never got the opportunity to prove himself in rugby yet so I'll reserve judgement on O'Driscoll for now;-):-D

Tyrone people would hold Canavan in same esteem for obvious reasons but I'm sure people in other counties people would feel the same about their players like DJ Carey, Jack O'Shea, Nicky English, Greg Blaney... etc

The Watcher Pat

Legend...met him in Belfast one day promoting 6 Nations with Keith Wood...Gentleman too!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 13, 2010, 12:39:15 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 13, 2010, 12:14:19 PM
Brian O'Driscoll must be the greatest sports man Ireland has ever produced. I read last week he is the fifth highest scorer in Irish rugby history and does even take penalties or conversations.

The key to success, getting on with the game with less time spent chatting!

Pedantic and predictable...  ::)

INDIANA

Quote from: put-it-up on March 13, 2010, 12:37:07 PM
Rugby is far from my preferred sport but I admire everything about BOD. Courage, passion, skilll. work-rate, leadership. The man is an absolute legend.

That would be my sentiments. I watch a lot of rugby and I've never understood why the mediocre has been celebrated so much at rugby when we can't beat any of the top sides in the world.

However BOD is simply a national treasure. Never will see his likes again. The one player who could make an all-time 15. Courage and leadership is extraordinary.

ziggysego

Whilst not a rugby man self and merely having a passing interest in the sport, I would still rate BOD very highly. He embodies all it is to be a great sportsman, hard work, determination, pure grit and yet comes across as humble, with his feet planted firmly on the ground. The fact that this recognised the world over is great.

However I don't into this notion that he makes me proud to be Irish. I was proud of them last year and they lifted the morale of the country when we needed. To me Im proud to be Irish for an array of other reasons.

Good luck on your 100th today and stick it to the Welsh. I need to annoy my Welsh Brother-in-Law about another Irish victory ;)
Testing Accessibility

magickingdom

Quote from: put-it-up on March 13, 2010, 12:37:07 PM

well said, the guy is class

5 Sams

Can't disagree with all that is said above...seems like a nice bloke and is obviously the best in his field over the last 10 years.....is he the best Irish sportsperson ever on the international stage?
The Aristocrat Years

ardal

Raises an interesting question which I'm sure had done the rounds before. Undoubtedly an incredible phenomenon, but is he the best Irish sportsman of all time? Certainly up there, but along with Eamonn Coughlan, Sean Kelly, Siobhan O'Sullivan, Kevin Moran, Roy Keane etc

Dinny Breen

Have the pleasure over the years and he's a sound guy, definitely a legend.
#newbridgeornowhere

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ardal on March 13, 2010, 11:07:11 PM
Raises an interesting question which I'm sure had done the rounds before. Undoubtedly an incredible phenomenon, but is he the best Irish sportsman of all time? Certainly up there, but along with Eamonn Coughlan, Sean Kelly, Siobhan O'Sullivan, Kevin Moran, Roy Keane etc

Not a golf man myself but does Harrington trump all of those?

O'Driscoll is superb. What's always impressed me is the fact that he is one of the most talented attacking players in the world yet still clearly works so hard on the defensive side of his game.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: stephenite on March 13, 2010, 12:31:22 PM
That tackle that took him out in the NZ lions tour still annoys me as these guys like to talk tough but the cowardly way he was done in that match proved they were scared of what he could do to them.

He dis-respected the haka and got dropped for it, end of.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!