Are we debasing our National Anthem?

Started by Tomorrow is another day, March 12, 2010, 11:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 13, 2010, 07:05:22 AM
Sheehy, why expect to hear GSTQ? It is the English anthem. Since when was Tyrone in England? Funny, when Kerry ran onto the pitch they were in green & gold. I was expecting to see them in blueshirts. Repeated defeats to Tyrone still hurt Mike? In fairness I do agree that supporters in the south don't respect it in the same way as in the north. I remember the 2003 final- Sean Kelly on presenting Sam congratulated both sets of fans for singing the anthem to the very end before cheering.

In my experience the total opposite has been the case.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Mike Sheehy

Nally Stand...I am from Kerry. I am Irish. I was born and bred on Irish soil. I dont need to bellow out the national anthem or make sniper signs in the bot of a friday night to prove I am Irish. So the next time you or your countyman, longrunsthefox, want to question the patriotism of the kerry player be prepared for a response

...sometimes I think you forget that we fought a civil war over you lads.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 13, 2010, 08:59:27 AM
Nally Stand...I am from Kerry. I am Irish. I was born and bred on Irish soil. I dont need to bellow out the national anthem or make sniper signs in the bot of a friday night to prove I am Irish. So the next time you or your countyman, longrunsthefox, want to question the patriotism of the kerry player be prepared for a response

...sometimes I think you forget that we fought a civil war over you lads.

It is clearly on 2008 final DVD for the national anthem. The Tyrone players, subs and coaches stand together to attention and sing it out while the Kerry players are strectching and especially Diarmuid Murphy who is jogging on the spot and moves away long before it is finished. Disrespectful.
Agreed tho that people who do sniper signs (I've never seen that) or hold two fingers up during it like some crass victory sign (I've seen that here-not at GAA games tho) are gobshites.       

donelli

Quote from: muppet on March 13, 2010, 12:09:45 AM
Quote from: ONeill on March 13, 2010, 12:08:23 AM
How old is Ireland?
How old is the National Athem?

Load of balls.

It was written in 1907. By a man.

In English.

ALL Ireland, Provincial & County Finals only.

eh, no way... if that was the case, i'd have only heard our national anthem played at a match where my club/county was playing 5 times in my life of over 30 years!!!

Nally Stand

I'm from Tyrone. I'm Irish. I was born and bred on Irish soil. And the footage of kerry players level of respect for the anthem is there for all to see on DVD. And ye lads didn't fight a civil war over us, if ye were any sort of historian you'd know the oath to the british crown was the biggest sticking point. If ye lot were so concerned about the north that yis had a war to hold onto us, u wouldn't be on here calling people from the 6 counties "brit boys" and expecting us to sing GSTQ would you.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Mike Sheehy

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29YDu8TnLF8

look here , 0.09 to 0.14 into this video is all I need to see about the true patriotic nature of the youth of Kerry.

You can preach your propaganda all you want but we are no less Irish than you despite your attempts to paint us otherwise.

orangeman

I don't think we need to debate the Irishness or otherwise of men / women from Tyrone, Kerry or any other part of Ireland for that matter.

This squabbling is debasing. 

So enough already !!!  :(

Nally Stand

I don't doubt for a second you are not less Irish than me. I just don't accept i'm less Irish than you either. So maybe you could lay off references to "brit boys", "nordies" and "GSTQ" when you talk about Tyrone or the north of Ireland. Anyway to get back to my point, I'm not too concerned about the anthem being played at most games. My own pet hate is fans cheering over the anthem ridiculously early. Especially after announcements appealing for respect for the anthem by not cheering until it's finished.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Mike Sheehy

It offends me to be told by others what we fought over. Who are you lads to say we didn't fight a civil war over the North ? Did you live in Kerry in those years ? for 30 years we have listened to your complaints. Maybe you should shut up and listen for 5 mins and you might learn something.

This man explains it better. I hope you show him some respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHFVlBwGI3o

Nally Stand

I was trying to move on from this but if you can't then fair enough. It's not me who says the oath was the main sticking point. History shows it. As I say, if you were so concerned about the north ye would have helped your fellow country men in the six counties. Instead you talk about how u are sick of listening to us complaining, call us brit boys and taunt about GSTQ. That's hardly fighting FOR us, is it Mike?? 

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 13, 2010, 11:05:20 AM
It offends me to be told by others what we fought over. Who are you lads to say we didn't fight a civil war over the North ? Did you live in Kerry in those years ? for 30 years we have listened to your complaints. Maybe you should shut up and listen for 5 mins and you might learn something.

This man explains it better. I hope you show him some respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHFVlBwGI3o

As you so readily refer to the northern six counties as British call us brits and slag us off about GSTQ, it is obvious what side your ancestors fought on...

"Take it down from the mast, Irish traitors,
It's the flag we Republicans claim,
It can never belong to free staters,
For you've brought on it nothing but shame..."

Tomorrow is another day

To be fair to Mike - Kerry was the county arguably most brutalised in the Civil War. Even before that in the War of Independence a lot happened in the county and right back to the eve of the Easter 1916 weekend when three men including the now famous Con Keating (The same Con Keating of Con Keating Park St Marys Cahirsiveen) was drown at Ballykissane pier on their way to Valentia Island from Dublin to guide in Roger Casement to Kerry Shores.

Another notable northern involvement in the War of Independence was the Ballymacandy Ambush of RIC men. 6 or so  RIC men were shot dead including their leader McCaughey from County Down as their cycled along the road from Tralee to Killorglin.

I would also strongly recommend Martin Ferris's autobiography to anyone in Tyrone who doubts the interest of Kerry people in the North. This man is from one of the most picturesque parts of Ireland and spend a lot of it in prison and hunger strike and gave up an Inter county career for the wee six.

We have all got to move on together north man southman comrades all! But also crucially catholic, protestant and and everything else these days. We have a duty to our games to make them as inclusive as possible without losing the true essence of what they are and that is the promotion of all things Irish.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Tomorrow is another day on March 13, 2010, 01:29:30 PM
To be fair to Mike - Kerry was the county arguably most brutalised in the Civil War. Even before that in the War of Independence a lot happened in the county and right back to the eve of the Easter 1916 weekend when three men including the now famous Con Keating (The same Con Keating of Con Keating Park St Marys Cahirsiveen) was drown at Ballykissane pier on their way to Valentia Island from Dublin to guide in Roger Casement to Kerry Shores.

Another notable northern involvement in the War of Independence was the Ballymacandy Ambush of RIC men. 6 or so  RIC men were shot dead including their leader McCaughey from County Down as their cycled along the road from Tralee to Killorglin.

I would also strongly recommend Martin Ferris's autobiography to anyone in Tyrone who doubts the interest of Kerry people in the North. This man is from one of the most picturesque parts of Ireland and spend a lot of it in prison and hunger strike and gave up an Inter county career for the wee six.

We have all got to move on together north man southman comrades all! But also crucially catholic, protestant and and everything else these days. We have a duty to our games to make them as inclusive as possible without losing the true essence of what they are and that is the promotion of all things Irish.

I'm sure Martin Ferris doesn't dance about during the national anthem. I'm sure there are Republicans and west brits in Kerry tho... the issue is Mike takes a free-stater attitude against the occupied six, calling us brits, english etc...   

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The lads from the North are very liberal calling people from the South, Irish traitors, Blueshirts, Freestaters, Mexicans and they call us partionist, you are more than fostering the partionist sentiment yourselfs. Can you expect anything but Brit or Nordie jibes when you throw those at us. I for one don't call anyone from the north a Brit unless they where a Northern Irish Unionist and they had let me know that they considered themselves British, and even then I usually say Irish Brit or Northern Irish. By the way some of my ancestors did fight for the legitimate Irish Army against the Die Hards and prior to that against the British Empire, they where not Irish traitors they where IRISH HEROS & PATRIOTS.

It really pisses me off that people interupt the Anthem before it finishes. In Castlebar for Mayo V Dublin I could swear I was the only one singing, and up in Omagh very few more where singing with me then.

Its about time people are taught the Anthem properly in school, if this does not work, its time to change the Anthem.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 13, 2010, 04:56:26 PM
The lads from the North are very liberal calling people from the South, Irish traitors, Blueshirts, Freestaters, Mexicans and they call us partionist, you are more than fostering the partionist sentiment yourselfs. Can you expect anything but Brit or Nordie jibes when you throw those at us. I for one don't call anyone from the north a Brit unless they where a Northern Irish Unionist and they had let me know that they considered themselves British, and even then I usually say Irish Brit or Northern Irish. By the way some of my ancestors did fight for the legitimate Irish Army against the Die Hards and prior to that against the British Empire, they where not Irish traitors they where IRISH HEROS & PATRIOTS.

It really pisses me off that people interupt the Anthem before it finishes. In Castlebar for Mayo V Dublin I could swear I was the only one singing, and up in Omagh very few more where singing with me then.

Its about time people are taught the Anthem properly in school, if this does not work, its time to change the Anthem.

The free stater comments come in response to 'Mike Sheehy' (obviously not the great man himself)... check his previous posts for months... riddled with that brit boy, nordie, union jack stuff.
You'll have noticed in Omagh it was allowed to finish uninterupted as is the case in Ulster.