God Save the Queen - No More?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, March 10, 2010, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

If they had a tennis team, would you refuse to recognise the court?

T Fearon

I too have enjoyed many football games at Windsor Park, not least the George Best show in 1967, but I have never ever felt that this was "my team" and have sat in the company of non catholic/non nationalist friends who have visibly cringed at the chants etc.

I take offence at the ludicrous 6 year "Football for All" Campaign run by the IFA, as its actions or inactions have not indicated any genuine attempt to promote football for all. This offence  is compunded even further when its apologists laughingly suggest that other sporting organisations (ie the GAA) "could learn from the success of our campaign"

At the end of the day, if the IFA continues to pander to unionists, then I would have more respect for it if they openly admitted that this was their raison d'etre and the reason why the will not countenance an All Ireland side.

Olaf

Quote from: T Fearon on March 12, 2010, 11:42:28 AM

I take offence at the ludicrous 6 year "Football for All" Campaign run by the IFA, as its actions or inactions have not indicated any genuine attempt to promote football for all. This offence  is compunded even further when its apologists laughingly suggest that other sporting organisations (ie the GAA) "could learn from the success of our campaign"

Are you equally offended at , say , NI's "athletics for all" (my words) at the Commonwealth Games ? (or is it just the football?)

T Fearon

I take no offence at a noun preceding the words "for all" except the noun "Football" in a North of Ireland context. I believe this is a term plagiarised and misused by the IFA to give a false impression that they

1) Understand what it means

2) Make a genuine effort to put it into practice

saffron sam2

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 12, 2010, 11:36:18 AM
Politics and sport shouldn't mix. But they unavoidably mix. I believe that anyone who is opposed to the existance of the 6 county plastic state and simultaneously supports it's soccer team is being totally hypocritical.

And by extension and implication, the same must surely apply to supporters of the free state soccer team.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Ulick

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 12, 2010, 12:28:25 PM
And by extension and implication, the same must surely apply to supporters of the free state soccer team.

Even if they are picking players from all 32 counties?

T Fearon

So which international soccer team should nationalist supporters in the six counties support, given the twisted logic that support for either "endorses" British rule in the North?

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on March 12, 2010, 12:57:52 PM
So which international soccer team should nationalist supporters in the six counties support, given the twisted logic that support for either "endorses" British rule in the North?

Scotland?
Testing Accessibility

saffron sam2

Quote from: Ulick on March 12, 2010, 12:52:28 PM

Yip.

Neither.

Lazer

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 12, 2010, 01:10:49 PM

Yip.

Neither.

Or both equally?
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

T Fearon

I think I can safely say that my decades of support (including 20 years as a block booker) of the FAI side has absolutely no endorsement implications on my part, or even hint of same, for British Rule in any part of Ireland. You might as well say that people who elect those who sit in a partitionist parliament in the Dail , support British Rule (hold on, the majority probably do!).

Quite simply, the fact that there is a split in Irish soccer (forced and maintained by the Belfast based IFA) is beyond the FAI's wishes and control, they aspire to represent everyone on the island, so I do not see why Irish nationalists should not support this team with clear consciences.

Franko

Yip.

Neither.

Saffron you are being overly disingenious here.   Are you then endorsing British rule by holding a passport (either nation's), having a driver's licence (again either nation's) or participating in any way whatsoever in anything which involves either sovereign government?  Tony gets wound up easily enough without actually trying to do it.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Franko on March 12, 2010, 02:41:45 PM

Yip.

Neither.

Saffron you are being overly disingenious here.   Are you then endorsing British rule by holding a passport (either nation's), having a driver's licence (again either nation's) or participating in any way whatsoever in anything which involves either sovereign government?  Tony gets wound up easily enough without actually trying to do it.

Ah right, the last 800 years have actually been FIFA's fault.

Quote from: T Fearon on March 12, 2010, 02:35:37 PM
I think I can safely say that my decades of support (including 20 years as a block booker) of the FAI side has absolutely no endorsement implications on my part, or even hint of same, for British Rule in any part of Ireland. You might as well say that people who elect those who sit in a partitionist parliament in the Dail , support British Rule (hold on, the majority probably do!).

Quite simply, the fact that there is a split in Irish soccer (forced and maintained by the Belfast based IFA) is beyond the as a direct result of the FAI's wishes and control, they aspire to represent everyone on the island, so I do not see why Irish nationalists should not support this team with clear consciences.

Fixed that for you Anthony.

Franko

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 12, 2010, 02:53:49 PM
Quote from: Franko on March 12, 2010, 02:41:45 PM

Yip.

Neither.

Ah right, the last 800 years have actually been FIFA's fault.

Quote from: T Fearon on March 12, 2010, 02:35:37 PM

Quite simply, the fact that there is a split in Irish soccer (forced and maintained by the Belfast based IFA) is beyond the as a direct result of the FAI's wishes and control, they aspire to represent everyone on the island, so I do not see why Irish nationalists should not support this team with clear consciences.

Fixed that for you Anthony.

Doubtful - but I'm using the 'extension and implication' clause you invoked above to come up with the initial theory.

haranguerer

Quote from: Olaf on March 12, 2010, 12:06:14 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 12, 2010, 11:42:28 AM

Are you equally offended at , say , NI's "athletics for all" (my words) at the Commonwealth Games ? (or is it just the football?)

Do NI athletics proclaim athletics for all, but then blatantly ignore (at best) one half of the community?