God Save the Queen - No More?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, March 10, 2010, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: GetOffThePitch on March 11, 2010, 05:14:00 PM
Quote from: red hander on March 10, 2010, 10:58:10 PM
'Mrs Windsor couldn't give a proverbial about OWC'

So she HAS something in common with northern nationalists  ;)

Is right. Not sure why the IFA think this would be relevant. I couldn't give a toss what they play and i wouldnt want them to change it on nationalism's account. People are entitled to their beliefs.

I'd be in agreement with you there. I wouldn't suddenly start supporting them if they stopped with GSTQ.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

On the contrary removing the english national anthem would be a small step in reducing nationalist alienation from this team and the IFA, and would reduce its current status as a loyalist icon. If this was followed by a move away from the loyalist village area and transforming the atmosphere to wholly apolitical (ie banning other unionist symbols and emblems etc)

T Fearon

I for one would concede that the IFA is making genuine efforts to promote soccer on a cross community basis, and if I have occasion to watch this team play, I might even feel a part of it all and it was at least aspiring to represent me.

GetOffThePitch

But if they remove GSTQ, the flag is still there. SHould that go too? How far do you actually go to 'represent' nationalism before realising an all-ireland team? Personally speaking, I'm more than content with the current setup-i know we've moved on a lot but NOvember 1993 will never leave me in terms of having even a passing affection for Windsor Park

GetOffThePitch

And by the same token- I wouldn't ask for unionist emblems/flags to be removed. We live in an engineered unionist statelet. This is being eroded by democratic means but I still repect that people need their symbols and cultures- the football team is just one of them

Orior

Supporting the six county team is accepting the English occupation of north east Ireland.

An all-ireland team is the only answer.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: Orior on March 11, 2010, 11:24:12 PM
Supporting the six county team is accepting the English occupation of north east Ireland.

Correct.

And then pick only southerners.
MWWSI 2017

longrunsthefox

Orior... I like where you're coming from  ;)

Orior

Quote from: muppet on March 11, 2010, 11:27:42 PM

Correct.

Ah what have you got against Shay Given?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: Orior on March 11, 2010, 11:55:23 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 11, 2010, 11:27:42 PM

Correct.

Ah what have you got against Shay Given?

He wears a Mankini.
MWWSI 2017

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Doesn't matter what they sing or fly or wear. I could never bring myself to support them, it shouldn't even be a real international team!
Let them alone, they are a "protestant" team for a Protestant people for a Protestant "nation"
Tbc....

Nally Stand

Spot on Orior. i think the only time I ever supported England was when they played the north. That didn't turn out as planned as we know.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

T Fearon

Like it or not, we are stuck in this gerrymandered cesspit and are likely to remain so for some time yet. We now have a form of shared government and an increasing share of everything else, so if the IFA is genuinely interested in promoting soccer here in an equitable manner then it simply must either completely divest its premier events (ie international soccer games) of all their current partisan political trappings, or alternatively have the political trappings of both traditions on display.

Like most people I can see absolutley no sporting reason or logic of having two internationa football teams or indeed two football associations on this island, one team would unite football supporters ina common purpose, reduce tensions and divisions, and help the best players from whatever part of Ireland they come from to develop by playing alongside the best available, as is the case in Rugby Union. But on the supposition that the dissident IFA is not going to aquiesce anytime soon in this regard, then they must ensure a neutral environment in every way, at their premier events

Lazer

By the same token, supporting the South is accepting the English occupation.

I never understood why N.Ireland payed GSTQ - when Scotland and Wales don't.

I actually would support N.Ireland, i've even been to windsor park on a few ocassions - and i have to say didn't feel intimated and it was all very enjoyable.
Okay they play GSTQ and there is a few unionist symbols about - but nowhere near as strong as it used to be.

Sport and politics should be seperate, so if anyone likes Soccer I see no reason why they should't support their own Area.

The only point i decided i couldn't support them was when they decided you couldn't paly for N.Ireland with an irish passport - which is no longer an issue!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Nally Stand

Politics and sport shouldn't mix. But they unavoidably mix. I believe that anyone who is opposed to the existance of the 6 county plastic state and simultaneously supports it's soccer team is being totally hypocritical.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore