Would you stand up to the Orange Order

Started by Hereiam, March 09, 2010, 03:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Was just wondering if there are many people on this board who would block an O.O parade going through their local town. Not by violent means as seen in Belfast but by just standing on the road on the day instead to let them know that they are not welcome. I know it would only take a few ass holes to try and kick things off. I just think its a pity that the nationalist comunity cannot do something to limit the number of these parades. I am all for the O.O celebrating their "culture" but a march in nearly every town a couple of times a year should be put to an end. I feel a parade on the twelve in each county should be enough. So would you be seen standing against the O.O

illdecide

Quote from: Hereiam on March 09, 2010, 03:59:29 PM
Was just wondering if there are many people on this board who would block an O.O parade going through their local town. Not by violent means as seen in Belfast but by just standing on the road on the day instead to let them know that they are not welcome. I know it would only take a few ass holes to try and kick things off. I just think its a pity that the nationalist comunity cannot do something to limit the number of these parades. I am all for the O.O celebrating their "culture" but a march in nearly every town a couple of times a year should be put to an end. I feel a parade on the twelve in each county should be enough. So would you be seen standing against the O.O

Does Garvaghy Road not ring a bell with ya
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

You even cross the road between the lodges and bands and they will rip you a new one!
Tbc....

delboy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 09, 2010, 04:09:24 PM
You even cross the road between the lodges and bands and they will rip you a new one!

Rubbish, lots of people scoot back and forth in between bands/lodges, however they don't take kindly to you actually walking through the ranks, that might get you a tap with a blackthorn.

Hereiam

Quote from: illdecide on March 09, 2010, 04:05:48 PM
Indeed it does and the rest of us should have seized the opportunity after that to rid the towns of this show of strength during the summer months.

illdecide

Quote from: Hereiam on March 09, 2010, 04:17:51 PM
Quote from: illdecide on March 09, 2010, 04:05:48 PM
Indeed it does and the rest of us should have seized the opportunity after that to rid the towns of this show of strength during the summer months.

It could only be done in big towns or Cities as the small villages are normally out numbered and would be burned out for it or even worse. OO were stopped from Marching down 2 different routes/roads in Lurgan a few years back
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lynchbhoy

Quote from: delboy on March 09, 2010, 04:14:13 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 09, 2010, 04:09:24 PM

Rubbish, lots of people scoot back and forth in between bands/lodges, however they don't take kindly to you actually walking through the ranks, that might get you a tap with a blackthorn.
which is assault by the way !!
::)
but maybe unintentionally you portray this act as a 'jolly jape' !

Hereiam

Just puttin it out there, but why do we let this happen? As a nationalist community who aren't that far out numbered we just sit back and do nothing. I now it sounds riduculous but what is needed is a strong voice on our side who can shout at these people and but the fear of god into them

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Hereiam on March 09, 2010, 04:33:37 PM
Just puttin it out there, but why do we let this happen? As a nationalist community who aren't that far out numbered we just sit back and do nothing. I now it sounds riduculous but what is needed is a strong voice on our side who can shout at these people and but the fear of god into them
Depends, many people are happy enough for orange parades to happen as long as they don't impinge on their own lives. It is the minority of contentious parades that need to be addressed. What I think is more important is addressing the mindset of the OO, this notion that they have the right to march wheve ever they want needs to be put to bed.

orangeman

Let them go where they want. It's no big deal anymore.

There's worse things happening in Northern Ireland and there's not a word about them.

tyssam5

As long as it's seen as a privilege and not an immutable right, then I would let them have their stroll once a year.

That is coming from a town where they are very much the minority though, so the power relationship is a wee bit different.

Nally Stand

I'm proud and happy to say that the nearest OO lodge to me are legally not permitted to march through my town. They tried it once about 50 years ago under the cover of night, attacking houses as they entered the town. Unfortunately for them, a dance was on that night and the hall emptied onto the street on hearing the noise. The result was that the brave OO got seventeen shades of sh1te bate out of them and were ordered by court after to never march in the town again.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I've lived in Newry (90% nationalist) and Lurgan (roughly 50/50).

In Newry, at least in the 80s, OO parades were a novelty and we went down and watched them out of curioristy.

In Lurgan, they get marching down the main street, and have got down the main throughfare to the train station, with many stand-offs, violence, triumphalism and an undercurrent of tension. 

To me, it shows why they continue to march in areas where they cause controversy.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

new devil

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 09, 2010, 07:59:00 PM
I'm proud and happy to say that the nearest OO lodge to me are legally not permitted to march through my town. They tried it once about 50 years ago under the cover of night, attacking houses as they entered the town. Unfortunately for them, a dance was on that night and the hall emptied onto the street on hearing the noise. The result was that the brave OO got seventeen shades of sh1te bate out of them and were ordered by court after to never march in the town again.

Only in carmen  :P

Capt Pat

Well we stopped their parade down here in Dublin, are yee all gone soft up there or what lads? :P