Tyrone v Cork - Healy Park, 13/03/10

Started by omagh_gael, March 08, 2010, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wee Roddy

I really disagree with the sentiments that we have to keep Justy McMahon at full back because the defence is creaking. Perhaps I am way of the mark here, but i think that moving him to midfield would benefit the defence. Joe, although he is not available for this one, is by far the more defensive minded of the two in my opinion. We have far too many cavalier defenders on the pitch and I am all in favour of carrying the game to the opposition, but when you see your corner back soloing out up the right hand side of the field about 50 yards from the goal and his two supporting players are the full back and the left half back, then there is something wrong.
I can remember when Gormley scored his goal at Clones last year two smart men behind me reckoned that if he had of playing centre back he wouldn't have been there. My brother laughed and I sort of smiled, secretly agreeing with the sentiment. They are being proved right.

Tyrone Dreamer

Cathal McCarron was back on bench last day. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a run out somewhere in defence. Can hardly remember him getting a game for the seniors since Donaghy gave him a bit of a roasting down in Kerry a few years ago. At least he would add a bit of size to the backline.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 11, 2010, 06:31:54 PM
Cathal McCarron was back on bench last day. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a run out somewhere in defence. Can hardly remember him getting a game for the seniors since Donaghy gave him a bit of a roasting down in Kerry a few years ago. At least he would add a bit of size to the backline.

If I remember correctly McCarron got injured quite early in that game which saw Justy moved to full-back to fill the gap and he never looked back from there. Think McCarron maybe only had 1 start in the league since then?

On Wee Roddy's point I dont you can say the two old lads are "being proved right" on the basis of 3 league defeats this year. 3 All-Ireland's in 5 years would suggest the system has worked pretty well ;).

Really need to be winning this one if we are to stay in Division 1. Time for a few lads to take their performance levels up a gear or two.

tyronefan

J Curran; D Carlin, J McMahon, C McCarron; D Harte, C Gormley, R McMenamin; A Cassidy, C Cavanagh; M Donnelly, B McGuigan, R Mulgrew; T McGuigan, M Penrose, O Mulligan.

tyronefan

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has made two changes for Saturday's crunch National League clash with Division One leaders Cork at Healy Park.
Cathal McCarron comes into defence in place of Sean O'Neill and Mark Donnelly makes his league debut in attack.
Midfielder Kevin Hughes is ruled out by injury, with Colm Cavanagh switching to midfield to partner Aidan Cassidy.
Sean Cavanagh and Philip Jordan are set to make their first appearances of the season, having been named as subs.

Tyrone Dreamer

Don't want to be to critical but suprised to see Curran in nets again. Also would be worried about the half forward lines ability to cope with the strength of the Cork half back line.

Carmen Stateside

Did someone not say Mark Donnelly had left the panel?
Delighted for him to get a chance.

MR99

Quote from: tyronefan on March 11, 2010, 08:43:53 PM
J Curran; D Carlin, J McMahon, C McCarron; D Harte, C Gormley, R McMenamin; A Cassidy, C Cavanagh; M Donnelly, B McGuigan, R Mulgrew; T McGuigan, M Penrose, O Mulligan.
Micky really taking the piss this time. Has big Packie had a leg apumtated or something?  Surely Colm Cav has been given enough chances now to have kept Sean happy?  Did McCullagh run over Mickey's cat?  Serious questions about half forward line, surely will move Mark Donnelly into full forward line which is his more natural position. Lets hope McCarron can show his undoubted ability in what looks like a reasonably strong defence although I hear he has only been back training 2 weeks, maybe a bit early for him.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: MR99 on March 11, 2010, 09:59:38 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on March 11, 2010, 08:43:53 PM
Micky really taking the piss this time. Has big Packie had a leg apumtated or something?  Surely Colm Cav has been given enough chances now to have kept Sean happy?  Did McCullagh run over Mickey's cat?  Serious questions about half forward line, surely will move Mark Donnelly into full forward line which is his more natural position. Lets hope McCarron can show his undoubted ability in what looks like a reasonably strong defence although I hear he has only been back training 2 weeks, maybe a bit early for him.

I was as criticial of Colm Cavanagh after the Derry game as anyone. However, I think people have their mind made up on him and aren't giving him a fair chance. Not saying he should start come championship but he has been one of the better players in the last 2 games despite missing chances the last day. Has worked hard round the middle and picked up a good bit of ball. There have been players played a lot worse this year and not a word about it.

tyrone86

Good to see Mark Donnelly get a run - he did alright in the McKenna Cup and is worth a go against good opposition.

McCarron played wing back the night it pished in style before throw- in agin Galway in Omagh last year.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Surprised to see C Mc Carron get a start. Fair play I suppose, give him the chance. While I would have had high hopes for Curren, I do think his kickouts have proved a liability.
CC in midifeld... I dunno, Mickey obviously believes in him, he did ok against Mayo, but I don't see it, 2 anonymous games CF.

Bit shocked to see sparky on half forward line. When did he ever play there? Still glad to see him get the start. But Brian McG needs to be dropped. He hasn't found form in the league at all. I think Mulgrew deserves the chance, if he'd convince himself he can do it. He was quiet last week, but did well with the chances he had. Can we not give Petey Harte the chance in the league. Friggin played far better than CC ever had, granted Cork might be very physical for him,   

Aiden Cassidy had been great. Very glad to see an emerging MF talent in Tyrone. Would love to see him play alongside Sean Cavanagh or an in form McGinley.

Can't see where Tyrone are gonna get the points this year now.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Tyrone Dreamer

If it's it tight with 20 minutes to go Tyrone have a great chance of winning it. Cavanagh,Jordan,Sean O'Neill,McGinley,McCullagh great options on the bench. Very hard to work out what's wrong with McGinley though. He doesn't look badly out of shape but games are passing him by.

A win here and you'd go to Galway a lot more confident of surviving especially with Joe McMahon and Cavanagh probably ready to start.

Tommo2

I can't understand why Dermot Carlin has been named in the starting 15. He is unavailable on Saturday night due to a prior committment.

Rois

He can dance his way down to the Mellon Country Inn afterwards - sure the match is in Omagh.