Should referees be banned from Gaelic football

Started by saffron sam2, February 27, 2010, 10:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Having watched the Corofin St Galls game and seen the sendings-off of Anto Healy and Gary Sice, coupled with the non sending-off of Kieran Fitzgerald, coupled with the performance of Michael Burke last week, coupled with the entire careers of John Bannon  and various incarnations of Gerry Kinneavy, coupled with Darragh O Se retiring without ever being awarded a free kick etc., I feel the time has come to remove referees from Gaelic football. (Much as has been the case in hurling for a long time).

Let either the referee or the bishop throw the ball in at start of the game (and then feck aff).

Would be much much better all round.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

saffron sam2

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 27, 2010, 10:33:29 PM
Would you remove the linesmen and umpires as well?

Yes, Chicken was acting on his linesman's advice.

Winnie Peg

This thread would be funny if it wasn't so serious. Gaelic football is finished as a manly sport. If a player falls he gets a free kick whether he is touched or not. Healy gets sent off for trying to free himself. Sice gets sent off for doing nothing, it wasn't even a free. Kevin McGourty doesn't even get a tick, for pulling a player to the ground at  the end of normal time and continuing to hold him down.
No wonder Rugby is gaining popularity by the day in the traditional gaelic strongholds.

Something must be done about refereeing before it is to late.

tyronefan

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 27, 2010, 10:02:33 PM
Having watched the Corofin St Galls game and seen the sendings-off of Anto Healy and Gary Sice, coupled with the non sending-off of Kieran Fitzgerald, coupled with the performance of Michael Burke last week, coupled with the entire careers of John Bannon  and various incarnations of Gerry Kinneavy, coupled with Darragh O Se retiring without ever being awarded a free kick etc., I feel the time has come to remove referees from Gaelic football. (Much as has been the case in hurling for a long time).

Let either the referee or the bishop throw the ball in at start of the game (and then feck aff).

You know, if
one person, just one person says it they may think he's really sick and
they won't listen to him.  And if two people, two people say it, in harmony,
they may think they're both faggots and they won't listen to either of them.
And three people say it, three, can you imagine, three people walking into
Croke Park saying it, They may think it's an
organization.  And can you, can you imagine fifty people ,I said
fifty people a day walking into croke park and
saying it.  then friends they may think it's a movement.

Square Ball

Quote from: Winnie Peg on February 27, 2010, 10:42:51 PM
This thread would be funny if it wasn't so serious. Gaelic football is finished as a manly sport. If a player falls he gets a free kick whether he is touched or not. Healy gets sent off for trying to free himself. Sice gets sent off for doing nothing, it wasn't even a free. Kevin McGourty doesn't even get a tick, for pulling a player to the ground at  the end of normal time and continuing to hold him down.
No wonder Rugby is gaining popularity by the day in the traditional gaelic strongholds.

Something must be done about refereeing before it is to late.

agree, but what should be done? I wouldnt be a GAA ref for a pension due to the crap that they have to take from managers. players and supporters, look at the egg chasers and there is very little back chat to a ref regardless of the decision.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

J OGorman

is there a team sport were refs (with inconsistency and shear incompetence) have such an influence in the outcome of a game? the ref in tonights game was attrocious. Sendings off and non-sendings off aside, some of the decisions were brutal for both sides , well after he gave Carofin a couple of handy free's to attempt to even up the game that is

Gold

the referee in that game was awful. He kept Corofin in the game as only GAA referees do --the free that led to the corifin goal should have been a line ball the other way--then to allow that goal, the clearest square ball i've ever seen was unreal

He blew frees for nothing that kept Corofin in the game, gave Healy the 1st yellow card in the 1st minute for nothing, then gave him a 2nd one because some man was hanging off his leg.

Sice did nothing wrong and was sent off, Fitzgerald struck out at Stewarts head (albeit with an open hand~) the ref obviously seen it as he changed the free out to a hop ball but didnt punish him (the commentator said it was cause he'd already sent one off and didnt want to send another off but thats ridiculous)

he then gave Galls a few frees for nothing also

awful awful refereeing performance

Galls were so far and away the better team that if they hadnt won that game due to that ref it would have been a disgrace

Why in the GAA when a team in 4 or more up does the ref give the other team everything ? It happens at all levels and is the biggest problem i think in the GAA bar none
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

orangeman

I'm watching tonight's game for a 2nd time here and the ref's performance just does not get any better.

Kieran Fitgerald and the ref must be big mates - how he didn't send off for striking ( albeit with an open hand ) I'll never know, given that he send off Sike for nothing just a few minutes before that.

Winnie Peg

One of the Galls player has some looder on him. ;D

orangeman

longrunsthefox

Just watched a recording of the game... that refeering display was shocking.

Fear ón Srath Bán

...coupled with the entire careers of John Bannon

Ironically, John Bannon (through the proxy of his club, Legan Sarsfields) has made what is probably the best decision of his refereeing career, in moving the motion to Congress to prevent referees from reviewing their own decisions.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 28, 2010, 12:59:45 AM
...coupled with the entire careers of John Bannon

Ironically, John Bannon (through the proxy of his club, Legan Sarsfields) has made what is probably the best decision of his refereeing career, in moving the motion to Congress to prevent referees from reviewing their own decisions.

I expect Tyrone will be proposing an ammendment stating that referees may only review decisions if the result is that a Tyrone player will get off ;)

saffron sam2

Just thought I would resurrect this thread after yesterday's 'performances' by Messers Deegan and O Conmha.