mickey harte - dead man act

Started by hurl4ever, February 27, 2010, 01:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Final Whistle on March 04, 2010, 10:07:25 AM
One thing for sure-when it came to the bit where he was needed, the moment in his career where he had to stand up and be counted to ensure his TEAM would always be known as a GREAT team and therefore posess GREAT players, he stood up and was counted.

McGeeney, where was he when he had the chance to be a GREAT captain? Falling on his ass trying to chase a flu ridden Brian McGuigan around croke park!!

Que Sera Sera, whatever will be, will be..........

I was fairly sure of you either being an idiot or a wum, but this post absolutely confirms it.

Jordan is a very, very good player, but as good as McGeeney? Or to suggest he's a more crucial cog to the Tyrone machine than McGeeney was to Armagh?!

Catch yourself on.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 27, 2010, 10:18:46 PM

It certainly wasnt Philip Jordan's finest hour but that doesnt excuse the fact that Marsden raised his hands and struck him. Had he not done that he would not have been sent off.

LDA u can use the same argument for Joe mcmahon, if he hadn't raised his hand to gardiner, right in front of the ref, the gardiner wouldn't have had the chance to dive to the ground.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Onion Bag

Sunday December 07 2003

DERMOT CROWE
ARMAGH'S Diarmaid Marsden yesterday left Croke Park "relieved" after his appeal against a one-match suspension was dramatically upheld by the Central Council. The GAC had turned down an earlier appeal by the player, sent off in the All-Ireland final by Brian White for "striking with the fist".
In a major surprise, Central Council delegates voted 22-6 to rescind the decision by finding that the GAC had erred on procedural grounds - the only basis on which yesterday's appeal could be successful.

The ruling means Marsden may now play in the opening round of next year's Ulster Championship against Monaghan. Video evidence of the key incident involving him and Tyrone's Phillip Jordan, which was presented at yesterday's meeting, helped greatly to have the ban lifted.

But the battle had to be won on procedural grounds. Armagh chairman Gene Duffy claimed the GAC had failed to clarify if referee Brian White had consulted with an umpire before sending off Marsden. He said that failure to obtain this information had had a major bearing on the content of their initial appeal.

GAC chairman Tony O'Keeffe, in response, said it was highly unlikely that such information would have been withheld from Armagh had it been requested. He added that video evidence clearly showed the referee had consulted with an umpire.

But the odds swung Marsden's way after the incident was repeatedly shown to delegates on video. Armagh manager Joe Kernan gave a short commentary as they watched watched the clash between his player and Tyrone's Phillip Jordan.

Kernan noted that the referee had his back to the incident and claimed that players huddled around Marsden and Jordan would have obscured the umpire's view as well. "Relief is the main reaction," Marsden said afterwards. "I know I did nothing to merit a sending-off. I hope we can move on now and forget it."

While the GAC obviously sided with the referee's report at last month's hearing, many Central Council delegates seemed baffled that the player had not been pardoned earlier on the basis of the video evidence available. It clearly shows that Marsden did not strike Jordan and should not have been sent off.

Earlier the Hurling Development Group outlined their plans to introduce a three-tier championship structure for 2005, with 12 counties competing for the McCarthy Cup. The top tier would comprise teams hurling in Division 1 next year.

The provincial championships would be retained but a mini-league will be established to include Galway, the Ulster champions and teams that don't reach the Munster and Leinster finals.

The Competitions' Work Group also outlined proposals for Congress. Teams that lose provincial finals should, it argued, be granted a two-week rest period before their next match. Others must be prepared to play after a week.

Mickey is some craic, rambling on about Dead Man acts

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Onion Bag on March 04, 2010, 02:02:13 PM
Sunday December 07 2003

DERMOT CROWE
ARMAGH'S Diarmaid Marsden yesterday left Croke Park "relieved" after his appeal against a one-match suspension was dramatically upheld by the Central Council. The GAC had turned down an earlier appeal by the player, sent off in the All-Ireland final by Brian White for "striking with the fist".
In a major surprise, Central Council delegates voted 22-6 to rescind the decision by finding that the GAC had erred on procedural grounds - the only basis on which yesterday's appeal could be successful.

The ruling means Marsden may now play in the opening round of next year's Ulster Championship against Monaghan. Video evidence of the key incident involving him and Tyrone's Phillip Jordan, which was presented at yesterday's meeting, helped greatly to have the ban lifted.

But the battle had to be won on procedural grounds. Armagh chairman Gene Duffy claimed the GAC had failed to clarify if referee Brian White had consulted with an umpire before sending off Marsden. He said that failure to obtain this information had had a major bearing on the content of their initial appeal.

GAC chairman Tony O'Keeffe, in response, said it was highly unlikely that such information would have been withheld from Armagh had it been requested. He added that video evidence clearly showed the referee had consulted with an umpire.

But the odds swung Marsden's way after the incident was repeatedly shown to delegates on video. Armagh manager Joe Kernan gave a short commentary as they watched watched the clash between his player and Tyrone's Phillip Jordan.

Kernan noted that the referee had his back to the incident and claimed that players huddled around Marsden and Jordan would have obscured the umpire's view as well. "Relief is the main reaction," Marsden said afterwards. "I know I did nothing to merit a sending-off. I hope we can move on now and forget it."

While the GAC obviously sided with the referee's report at last month's hearing, many Central Council delegates seemed baffled that the player had not been pardoned earlier on the basis of the video evidence available. It clearly shows that Marsden did not strike Jordan and should not have been sent off.

Earlier the Hurling Development Group outlined their plans to introduce a three-tier championship structure for 2005, with 12 counties competing for the McCarthy Cup. The top tier would comprise teams hurling in Division 1 next year.

The provincial championships would be retained but a mini-league will be established to include Galway, the Ulster champions and teams that don't reach the Munster and Leinster finals.

The Competitions' Work Group also outlined proposals for Congress. Teams that lose provincial finals should, it argued, be granted a two-week rest period before their next match. Others must be prepared to play after a week.

Mickey is some craic, rambling on about Dead Man acts

that certainly closes the book on this one
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

BennyHarp

Did I miss something? When did a Dermot Crowe article become the offical authority on GAA?
That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 04, 2010, 10:55:24 PM
Did I miss something? When did a Dermot Crowe article become the offical authority on GAA?

When some of our wannabe three two-time (even) SAM winner neighbours are looking for a stick, any fecking stick!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!