Cuban Political Prisoner dies on Hunger Strike

Started by magickingdom, February 26, 2010, 10:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

If it's true it would potentially save a lot of lives
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Zapatista

Quote from: magickingdom on February 28, 2010, 04:14:18 PM
hardly, the US ignores/boycotts cuba. the brits have their fingers in a lot of pies in ireland

Ignores and boycotts are very different things. The US don't ignore Cuba they actively try to distable it through the emarbgo and through sponsership of Cuban resistance to the Cuban administration.

It's sad when a man must go to such lenghts to highlight his case. It's sad too when it's ignored or misrepresented.

muppet

Quote from: magickingdom on February 28, 2010, 04:14:18 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 28, 2010, 03:45:43 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 28, 2010, 09:34:43 AM
It's typical of the blinkers some people have regarding Cuba that the stock response is to point out the sins of the United States. Clearly two wrongs do make a right

Discussing Cuba without mentioning the USA would be like discussing Irish history without mentioning Britain. Now that would be blinkered.

hardly, the US ignores/boycotts cuba. the brits have their fingers in a lot of pies in ireland

And that is your argument?  ::)

What about Guantanamo Pie or Bay of Pigs pie?
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 28, 2010, 03:57:25 PM
Quote from: Massey-135 on February 28, 2010, 09:35:57 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 27, 2010, 03:53:16 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on February 26, 2010, 10:06:50 PM

It's funny the high grounders here are fierce quiet on this atrocity, but then again,
it did happen in Marxist Cuba.... so that's alright then I suppose ::)

Maybe people are quiet because it's only half 9 in the morning here, we were all fast asleep in our beds when you were making that smartass comment. Personally, I've never heaped much praise on Cuba, it is an oppressive state and there's no two ways about it. Terrible situation and it's a wonder there hasn't been more coverage of this in the press, most outlets are more concerned with Wayne Bridge not shaking John Terry's hand. As regards Cuba having a great healthcare system, we're always told this but I seem to remember a part in Michael Moore's documentary Sicko where it showed the USA's ranking in health systems and it was 31 or something, and Cuba was one place below it at 32. So not sure if it's that great, not an expert on it by any means though
I was quoting someone I know who has visited there for 6 months, he says they have a cure for meningitis but due to the embargo they can't get it out to the rest of the world.  I am no expert though the fella who told me has no reason to lie about it
It's hardly North Korea. The thousands of foreign visitors every year might seem an obvious conduit.

Ulick

Maybe people are quiet because it's only half 9 in the morning here, we were all fast asleep in our beds when you were making that smartass comment. Personally, I've never heaped much praise on Cuba, it is an oppressive state and there's no two ways about it. Terrible situation and it's a wonder there hasn't been more coverage of this in the press, most outlets are more concerned with Wayne Bridge not shaking John Terry's hand. As regards Cuba having a great healthcare system, we're always told this but I seem to remember a part in Michael Moore's documentary Sicko where it showed the USA's ranking in health systems and it was 31 or something, and Cuba was one place below it at 32. So not sure if it's that great, not an expert on it by any means though

Erm the US is the richest country in the world and it's only 31st. Cuban on the other hand is one of the poorest, has had an embargo placed around it by the richest, and is 32nd out of 200 (the best in the southern hemisphere). You're barking up the wrong tree with that line.   

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2010, 11:11:01 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 27, 2010, 11:59:14 AM
It's funny the high grounders here are fierce quiet on this atrocity, but then again,

I hate to agree with you, but I agree with you. Cuba is a repressive police state. Anyone who says otherwise, or tries to blame the United States for it, is living in cloud-cuckoo land

It certainly is.

But if the hunger striker was on another part of Cuba, oh say Guantanamo, he would be force fed. He wouldn't even be allowed to hunger strike.

Now I know nothing would make you happier if that were to be the case but ehhh...nope, not this this time, sorry :'(
but sure don't let that get in the way of another of your hateful, typically spineless and pathetic rants.

By the way, I was forwarded  a personal message that had been doing the rounds recently of the primary school playground
in an embarrassing collaborating effort amongst yourselves in an attempt to collectively snub me on here...
:D :D :D Feck it I cant begin to tell ye how out and out face palm type childish and immature this is :D :D :D

Un f**king believable the depths ye daisy chain makers will plunge to gain a footing on the anti US, anti Religion
anti Democracy, anti anything and anybody that doesn't toe the bleeding heart progressive liberal, anti establishment view point ::)

Thought I was more isolated here than I am, didn't you muppet? ye have a mole in the ranks :D

Tell us, do you have to work hard to be as hateful a human being or was it bred in to ye?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Zapatista

Bensars

I was quoting someone I know who has visited there for 6 months, he says they have a cure for meningitis but due to the embargo they can't get it out to the rest of the world.  I am no expert though the fella who told me has no reason to lie about it

Not a chance. Do you realise how much this would be worth to the multnational pharmaceuticals ?  I did a dissertation on competitive intelligence many years ago and once you start researching it, you wouldn't believe the length some of these companies will stoop to gain a competitive intelligence. If indeed there there was a cure you can be guaranteed it would be out of there by some means before Fidel could say viva la revolution !

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Bensars on February 28, 2010, 09:30:50 PM

Not a chance. Do you realise how much this would be worth to the multnational pharmaceuticals ?  I did a dissertation on competitive intelligence many years ago and once you start researching it, you wouldn't believe the length some of these companies will stoop to gain a competitive intelligence. If indeed there there was a cure you can be guaranteed it would be out of there by some means before Fidel could say viva la revolution !
Bensars, I was only going by what someone told me.  Anyway, I don't think it's that simple
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on February 28, 2010, 08:17:45 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2010, 11:11:01 PM
Quote from: deiseach on February 27, 2010, 11:59:14 AM

I hate to agree with you, but I agree with you. Cuba is a repressive police state. Anyone who says otherwise, or tries to blame the United States for it, is living in cloud-cuckoo land

It certainly is.

But if the hunger striker was on another part of Cuba, oh say Guantanamo, he would be force fed. He wouldn't even be allowed to hunger strike.

Now I know nothing would make you happier if that were to be the case but ehhh...nope, not this this time, sorry :'(
but sure don't let that get in the way of another of your hateful, typically spineless and pathetic rants.

By the way, I was forwarded  a personal message that had been doing the rounds recently of the primary school playground
in an embarrassing collaborating effort amongst yourselves in an attempt to collectively snub me on here...
:D :D :D Feck it I cant begin to tell ye how out and out face palm type childish and immature this is :D :D :D

Un f**king believable the depths ye daisy chain makers will plunge to gain a footing on the anti US, anti Religion
anti Democracy, anti anything and anybody that doesn't toe the bleeding heart progressive liberal, anti establishment view point ::)

Thought I was more isolated here than I am, didn't you muppet? ye have a mole in the ranks :D

Tell us, do you have to work hard to be as hateful a human being or was it bred in to ye?

Just for clarity, can I whittle that rant down to this, are you saying that the USA did not force feed prisoners in Guantanamo?
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Clarity :D...sure FFS you'd have to remove the blinkers before taking it upon yourself to chastise anyone on Clarity!
Again... my point was, you would have been whacking us for day's with that big stick had this fella died under the US's watch rather than in a military
hospital in Havana but then you knew that's what I was going at...  yet not a peep on human rights or anything else for that matter other than yet another
cowardly cheap shot at resurrecting Gitmo which has absolutely no connection to this particular story whatsoever  ::)

Did you happen to figure out who sang like a canary from your little daisy chain inner circle yet ?
Fcuk I'd honestly go into hiding if I was busted at something as cringe worthy and immature as that :-[
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Ulick

Quote from: Tyrones own on March 01, 2010, 05:31:35 AM
Again... my point was, you would have been whacking us for day's with that big stick had this fella died under the US's watch rather than in a military
hospital in Havana but then you knew that's what I was going at...  yet not a peep on human rights or anything else for that matter other than yet another
cowardly cheap shot at resurrecting Gitmo which has absolutely no connection to this particular story whatsoever  ::)

You had around 20000 people die in your prisons over the past five years and I haven't heard anyone mention it. You also have 5% of the worlds population but also 25% of the worlds prisoners. Unlike Cuba, the conditions in your prison system rank with the worst in the world, so I don't think you much to be criticising the Cubans about.

Massey-135

Quote from: Ulick on February 28, 2010, 07:24:42 PM

Erm the US is the richest country in the world and it's only 31st. Cuban on the other hand is one of the poorest, has had an embargo placed around it by the richest, and is 32nd out of 200 (the best in the southern hemisphere). You're barking up the wrong tree with that line.

Aye, I know. I was just pointing it out. Surprised me a bit when I seen it

muppet

Clarity :D...sure FFS you'd have to remove the blinkers before taking it upon yourself to chastise anyone on Clarity!

Did you happen to figure out who sang like a canary from your little daisy chain inner circle yet ?
Fcuk I'd honestly go into hiding if I was busted at something as cringe worthy and immature as that :-[

It's in the same country ffs.

If you and MagicKingdom come on here patronising us on abuse of prisoners expect to have your hypocrisy highlighted. You see any abuse of prisoners is wrong, even if the USA is responsible. Geddit?
MWWSI 2017

magickingdom

Quote from: muppet on March 01, 2010, 06:14:38 PM
Again... my point was, you would have been whacking us for day's with that big stick had this fella died under the USC's watch rather than in a military
cowardly cheap shot at resurrecting Git mo which has absolutely no connection to this particular story whatsoever  ::)

Funk I'd honestly go into hiding if I was busted at something as cringe worthy and immature as that :-[

It's in the same country ff.

If you and MagicKingdom come on here patronising us on abuse of prisoners expect to have your hypocrisy highlighted. You see any abuse of prisoners is wrong, even if the USA is responsible. Godot?

how was i patronising? and where is my hypocrisy? i simply posted an article on a hunger striker dying as it has happened in our own country. its not that forking hard to get your information right if your going to quote me - its printed right in front of you.