Mayo V Dublin - The lets start losing the run of ourselves final

Started by Mayo4Sam, February 26, 2010, 02:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 08, 2010, 08:53:18 AM
Sorry ros, I have to disagree with you regarding Cafferkey. He was out in front of his man for most of the match and I was impressed with him yesterday.

From where I was sitting I could only really judge the defence on the 2nd half, but I thought Cafferkey did very well for most of the half. However, when Keaney came on, he caused him a lot of problems. Brogan also caused problems for Keith Higgins, but I thought he got to grips with him well after the goal.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

INDIANA

Quote from: Barney on March 08, 2010, 08:29:23 AM
Very disappointing and frustrating. Could we have played any worse? It looks like we could face a struggle now in this Division with 3 away games in Derry, Kerry and Cork to come which is a pity after such a good start.

The shooting yesterday was abysmal and embarassing. The game itself was dire but I think Dublin will have to be delighted. As some of their posters have said they will have to open up later in the year and they did late in the game yesterday to a small extent but they will take great spirit from their hard work yesterday. Gilroy knew Mayo were there for the taking at the back when the forwards were not performing and left two men inside on their own which exposed our full-back line again.

The usual problem of too many attacking defenders caught us as well. If one man goes forward another should be staying back especially when we have such massive handling problems.

But most galling was the lack of work ethic at times yesterday. Dublin were far hungrier and when they won dirty ball they were not tracked as they should have been. Tom Parsons was very much a guilty party around the middle, the half-forward line didn't cover themselves in glory either.

It just shows that whatever peoples views of their talents the likes of Mortimer, Dillon, Kilcoyne, Harte, Barry Moran, Ronaldson and Cunniffe are the best that we have.

Varley has some potential I think. He has scored some good goals but yesterday when closed down he was in big bother. I would have question marks over what I have seen of Freeman. His kicking technique leaves a lot to be desired, however he is young and just learning the game at this level. AOS needs to pull up his socks - the u21 championship may reinvigorate him but you would guess a difficult second year will be his lot.

But in the same way that the first two games did not herald an exciting new dawn this game should not be seen as the end of the world. We will know by the end of the month exactly where we stand - good performances in Kerry and Derry with some points plundered would be a very encouraging start. The Monaghan game is a must win.

Wouldn't be too worried at this stage of the season if you're creating chances and missing them. I'd be more worried if you weren't creating them. Happy enough with the win from our perspective but some Dublin fans are cacking themselves already.

Dublin's game at present is based upon allowing the opposition ball and hitting them on the break or forcing them to kick wides. And its working very well.

The conundrum is if we give Cork that amount of ball they'll beat us well - as would Kerry. Class forwards don't worry about backs tackling them hard- give Gooch or Goulding the ball and they will score. On that proviso Dublin will have to open and not play so defensively some time soon. then we'll know where we're at.

ludermor

The state of wee Mort when he came on,long blonde hair, lovely tanned legs.  All he is missing in a tattoo down his arm and his transformation will be complete ( in the looks dept anyway, still a wee bit lacking in the football dept)

Ranger

Not trying to make excuses for the defeat, but what did you all think of the state of the pitch yesterday??
I could not believe how bumpy it was, and it was much worse than it looked as I walked across it after the game.
It's all fine and dandy having a nice big stand and new press box (I won't mention the f***dli***s) but when the ptich looks like it was used for sheep to graze on over the winter, it takes away form the good improvements.

venter

Quote from: ballinaman on March 08, 2010, 12:39:10 AM
How bad are the injuries to McGarrity and Gardiner?? Heard they are hamstring and Gardiners looked like a broken arm??Any truth in that?
Peadar G has a broken arm as well as nerve damage causing a lack of feeling in the fingers. He had an operation and got a pin inserted in the arm and a cast from wrist to shoulder. The break is very close to the elbow. Could be out for 2 or 3 months with no real prognosis on recovery time.
He also had to get a stitch in the mouth after the tyrone game after taking a blow during the incident where Joe Mcmahon got sent off. While it looked like he took a dive on the TV, he genuinely got a clip.
Not a good couple of weeks for him.

muppet

Quote from: venter on March 09, 2010, 06:05:03 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on March 08, 2010, 12:39:10 AM
How bad are the injuries to McGarrity and Gardiner?? Heard they are hamstring and Gardiners looked like a broken arm??Any truth in that?
Peadar G has a broken arm as well as nerve damage causing a lack of feeling in the fingers. He had an operation and got a pin inserted in the arm and a cast from wrist to shoulder. The break is very close to the elbow. Could be out for 2 or 3 months with no real prognosis on recovery time.
He also had to get a stitch in the mouth after the tyrone game after taking a blow during the incident where Joe Mcmahon got sent off. While it looked like he took a dive on the TV, he genuinely got a clip.
Not a good couple of weeks for him.

Just one stitch? In the old days you'd need >10 stitches before the finish of the National Anthem and you'd be ashamed to say you got one stitch, unless it was in the dressing room.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Ranger on March 08, 2010, 01:49:38 PM
Not trying to make excuses for the defeat, but what did you all think of the state of the pitch yesterday??
I could not believe how bumpy it was, and it was much worse than it looked as I walked across it after the game.
It's all fine and dandy having a nice big stand and new press box (I won't mention the f***dli***s) but when the ptich looks like it was used for sheep to graze on over the winter, it takes away form the good improvements.

An absolute disgrace, from my viewpoint, I could see patches of the pitch filled with clay. What is that about ???
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

INDIANA

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 09, 2010, 08:32:49 PM
Quote from: Ranger on March 08, 2010, 01:49:38 PM

An absolute disgrace, from my viewpoint, I could see patches of the pitch filled with clay. What is that about ???

We have 4 players with ankle injuries because of it. Some of the Dublin players described it like trying to play samba soccer- badly!