Derry City of Culture?

Started by Doogie Browser, February 24, 2010, 02:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

and McGuinness slips further down in my estimation.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Mario

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 16, 2010, 08:03:58 AM
In fairness to McGuinness, he just wants what best for his city, and if that means standing celebrating uk city of culture, then he'll do it as long as it benefits the city.

Doogie Browser

Jees you lot are a bunch of begrudgers!  Anything that can help investment for the area has to be welcomed FFS.  Fair play to them. 

delboy

That will probably come as a terrible blow to him  ;)

Doogie Browser

Quote from: delboy on July 16, 2010, 09:43:39 AM

That will probably come as a terrible blow to him  ;)
Death threats from dissidents
Hated by Loyalists
Rejected by POG

Marty is fcuked I tell ye!

Rois

Marty was speaking on Radio Ulster this morning and was asked how come he was accepting that Derry was in the UK.  He quite rightly said that he was always going to seek a united Ireland and while he knows Derry is an Irish city, this is the jurisdiction he has currently agreed to be part of, and accepting this will in no way detract from the existing and historical Irish culture that Derry will exhibit during its tenure. 

I was delighted to hear they had won, as someone said, it's a continuation of the feel-good factor post-Saville, and if anywhere needs a bit of attention, it's Derry.  Hopefully it'll rub off on Strabane a wee bit.  ;) 

omagh_gael

Quote from: Rois on July 16, 2010, 10:07:56 AM
Marty was speaking on Radio Ulster this morning and was asked how come he was accepting that Derry was in the UK.  He quite rightly said that he was always going to seek a united Ireland and while he knows Derry is an Irish city, this is the jurisdiction he has currently agreed to be part of, and accepting this will in no way detract from the existing and historical Irish culture that Derry will exhibit during its tenure. 

I was delighted to hear they had won, as someone said, it's a continuation of the feel-good factor post-Saville, and if anywhere needs a bit of attention, it's Derry. Hopefully it'll rub off on Strabane a wee bit.  ;)

:D :D

Evil Genius

Quote from: give her dixie on July 16, 2010, 12:05:35 AM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 15, 2010, 11:30:18 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 15, 2010, 10:05:57 PM
Ach I thought it was European City of Culture. The 1st UK one? Sure in 10 yrs Newry and Armagh will have had a go.

You are now entering......

Will they repaint the "Free Derry Wall" now?
It wont be long until someone does a bit of photoshop work.......
Hours (if not days) old:

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Rois on July 16, 2010, 10:07:56 AM
Fcuk me, more twists and turns from wee Marty there than a busted corkscrew!

Or, as someone pointed out when surveying the possible list of events which we may see during the year, they'll have gone the full 180 degrees from "Brits Out" to "The Brits"...

You couldn't make it up - except they already have!

Quote from: Rois on July 16, 2010, 10:07:56 AMI was delighted to hear they had won, as someone said, it's a continuation of the feel-good factor post-Saville, and if anywhere needs a bit of attention, it's Derry. Hopefully it'll rub off on Strabane a wee bit.  ;)
A three week old yoghurt has more "culture" than Strabane (but doesn't smell so bad)...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Doogie Browser

A lot of 'loyalists' are apoplectic about McGuinness and Derry as the only culture they are interested in promoting is a culture of bigotry and intimidation.
Some toolbags on the radio today, the 'loyalist' community are well represented as normal  :D

sammymaguire

I studied in Derry, so I have a soft spot for the place and I reckon this will bring plenty of buzz to the city and a face lift will surely get the heart beat of the city pumping a little bit stronger. This city of culture award has done wonders for Liverpool.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

magickingdom

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 16, 2010, 03:44:37 PM
I studied in Derry, so I have a soft spot for the place and I reckon this will bring plenty of buzz to the city and a face lift will surely get the heart beat of the city pumping a little bit stronger. This city of culture award has done wonders for Liverpool.

id love to believe that, any examples?

magickingdom

Quote from: Mario on July 16, 2010, 09:14:28 AM
In fairness to McGuinness, he just wants what best for his city, and if that means standing celebrating uk city of culture, then he'll do it as long as it benefits the city.

bull sh1t, when it suited him he used violence - how did that help his city? i didnt agree with him then and i dont agree with him now promoting derry as 'uk' city of culture.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: magickingdom on July 16, 2010, 07:14:19 PM
Quote from: Mario on July 16, 2010, 09:14:28 AM

bull sh1t, when it suited him he used violence - how did that help his city? i didnt agree with him then and i dont agree with him now promoting derry as 'uk' city of culture.
I think this is the first time I have ever agreed with a word you said
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maguire01

Money talks. It seems most people have a price.

Having said that, for the benefit of the people of Derry, I think he's right to support the bid and the outcome. Although maybe he didn't have to push himself so far into the limelight.