Wilson called to the Dark Side

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, February 22, 2010, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Heard it on the radio this morning, when the North of Ireland manager was being interviewed post match.

By the way here's a guy telling it like it is, in the Belfast Telegraph ;)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/article14706503.ece;jsessionid=8A96FF633C78A7F40FEA2E633713F0F6?postingType=posting&mode=thanks&postingId=14708576

delboy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 04, 2010, 11:53:15 AM
Heard it on the radio this morning, when the North of Ireland manager was being interviewed post match.

By the way here's a guy telling it like it is, in the Belfast Telegraph ;)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/article14706503.ece;jsessionid=8A96FF633C78A7F40FEA2E633713F0F6?postingType=posting&mode=thanks&postingId=14708576

Why use one word 'worthington' when you can use five 'the north of ireland manager' to make your petty pronuncements.

Main Street

NI Manager in shock display of support for the Nordies right to chose despite being sore.

"I find it difficult to understand, but if a player doesn't want to play for Northern Ireland, then good luck to him. I wish them no harm,"
"If they don't want to play for us, then that's it. I will look forward and concentrate on the youngsters coming through."

On Duffy, he admits to knowing the player had fundamental doubts.

'Everton youngster Duffy was on the bench for Northern Ireland's friendly against Italy last May in Pisa.
Worthington admits that even then he knew the 18-year-old had major doubts and the IFA did try everything in their power to persuade him to stay with the country of his birth.'
"The lad has made his decision with his family, so I respect that. We will wait and see what happens in terms of our case."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-ruling-is-exploiting-us-blasts-worthington-14706451.html#ixzz0hD61v9b8

T Fearon

I believe its called the "principle of consent", a phrase beloved of unionism generally. Just as 1m unionists cannot be bombed into a United Ireland against their will, neith should the likes of young Duffy be coerced against his free will to play for the IFA team ;)

Hereiam

QuoteWhy use one word 'worthington' when you can use five 'the north of ireland manager' to make your petty pronuncements.

With Tony on this one. Never do I refer to this part of the Island as Northern Ireland. Just isn't right to.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hereiam on March 04, 2010, 12:58:47 PM
QuoteWhy use one word 'worthington' when you can use five 'the north of ireland manager' to make your petty pronuncements.

With Tony on this one. Never do I refer to this part of the Island as Northern Ireland. Just isn't right to.

Tony uses 'N' rather than 'n' though. That's frowned upon by some.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

haranguerer

That Donnelly article in the Telegraph hits the nail on the head. Fearon gets slated for always finding a way to slate the IFA (not that its hard to find), but on this issue their ignorance is absolutely astounding.

Practically every nationalist in the north grows up supporting the republic. That this is their team rather than norn irn has been reinforced for generations by the actions of NIs fans, and the apologists of the IFA (not too mention others: Jackie '...I dont think the boos were as bad that time...'fullerton), for eg in their treatment of Neil Lennon.

If the IFA were serious about attracting nationalists to support their team, which is the only way they'll ever get any to declare for them, they'd ban all slogans political in nature, play a neutral anthem (or both!), play under a flag acceptable to both communities, etc, etc.

None of that will happen any time soon, so if the IFA wont take steps to change the way their team is seen by nationalists, how can they expect nationalists to see their team any differently than they have in the past. A lot of things are changing in the north, but OWC has remained a bastion of loyalism.

Anyway, would they not be happy enough if FIFA invented an award for them, say 'Most persecuted FA in the world' or similar? Or even 'FA with most awards invented just to keep them happy'?

T Fearon

I don't even think its ignorance. More like arrogance of the "Ulster is British" type, so anyone born here is "British". You'd think nearly 12 years on from the Good Friday Agreement the slow learners would have learn't the reality ::)

delboy

Quote from: Hereiam on March 04, 2010, 12:58:47 PM

Good for you, thats what the place needs more people who pretend the place doesn't exist, meanwhile back in the real world i'll continue to live in Northern Ireland and support the Northern Ireland football team, you keep clicking the heels of your ruby slippers and keep repeating 'theres no such place as Northern Ireland'  ;D

Doogie Browser

Did anyone else take Albania at 7/5 last night??  Great price given the state of the pitch and the state of the team worthy put out.  Nice wee treble with Sweden and England minus a goal.

delboy

Quote from: Doogie Browser on March 04, 2010, 02:10:54 PM
Did anyone else take Albania at 7/5 last night??  Great price given the state of the pitch and the state of the team worthy put out.  Nice wee treble with Sweden and England minus a goal.

I did indeed, the pitch was like a ploughed field, had them with sweden and spain unfortunately also had scotland for the draw.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on March 04, 2010, 12:34:07 PM
NI Manager in shock display of support for the Nordies right to chose despite being sore.

"I find it difficult to understand, but if a player doesn't want to play for Northern Ireland, then good luck to him. I wish them no harm,"
"If they don't want to play for us, then that's it. I will look forward and concentrate on the youngsters coming through."

On Duffy, he admits to knowing the player had fundamental doubts.
'Everton youngster Duffy was on the bench for Northern Ireland's friendly against Italy last May in Pisa.
Worthington admits that even then he knew the 18-year-old had major doubts and the IFA did try everything in their power to persuade him to stay with the country of his birth.'
"The lad has made his decision with his family, so I respect that. We will wait and see what happens in terms of our case."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-ruling-is-exploiting-us-blasts-worthington-14706451.html#ixzz0hD61v9b8
flippin eck
they are claiming its a country now !!!
:D :D

red hander

Quote from: haranguerer on March 04, 2010, 01:28:31 PM
That Donnelly article in the Telegraph hits the nail on the head. Fearon gets slated for always finding a way to slate the IFA (not that its hard to find), but on this issue their ignorance is absolutely astounding.

Practically every nationalist in the north grows up supporting the republic. That this is their team rather than norn irn has been reinforced for generations by the actions of NIs fans, and the apologists of the IFA (not too mention others: Jackie '...I dont think the boos were as bad that time...'fullerton), for eg in their treatment of Neil Lennon.

If the IFA were serious about attracting nationalists to support their team, which is the only way they'll ever get any to declare for them, they'd ban all slogans political in nature, play a neutral anthem (or both!), play under a flag acceptable to both communities, etc, etc.

None of that will happen any time soon, so if the IFA wont take steps to change the way their team is seen by nationalists, how can they expect nationalists to see their team any differently than they have in the past. A lot of things are changing in the north, but OWC has remained a bastion of loyalism.

Anyway, would they not be happy enough if FIFA invented an award for them, say 'Most persecuted FA in the world' or similar? Or even 'FA with most awards invented just to keep them happy'?

Ditto.  The thing is, though, the IFA have left it way too late to launch any successful bid to attract nationalists, IMO ... it doesn't matter what they do, it ain't happening, and I believe they basically accept this themselves, and that's why they haven't made a genuine effort and are happy to plough on with a support that includes a significant minority of total scumbags

But it's certainly changed times folks when an article like that appears in the Belfast Telegraph ("rabid" supporters, indeed) ... no doubt falling newspaper circulations have prompted the Telegraph to attempt to attract a few nationalists themselves  ;)

Main Street

How long ago would it have been that an article like that would not have been printed in the Telegraph.