Wilson called to the Dark Side

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, February 22, 2010, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: ziggysego on February 28, 2010, 11:52:05 PM
Quote from: boojangles on February 28, 2010, 11:39:56 PM
I was born in Cavan but my grandfather was born in Scotland,obviously under the grandparent rule I could play for Scotland but would it mean I could play for NI?

and England and Wales... apparently.

How? ???

ziggysego

Quote from: MW on March 07, 2010, 10:16:21 PM
I was born in Cavan but my grandfather was born in Scotland,obviously under the grandparent rule I could play for Scotland but would it mean I could play for NI?

How? ???

I could be wrong, but if you're eligible for one of the UK regions, you're eligible for them all?
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: hardstation on March 07, 2010, 10:25:08 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 07, 2010, 10:19:30 PM
Quote from: MW on March 07, 2010, 10:16:21 PM

How? ???

I could be wrong, but if you're eligible for one of the UK regions, you're eligible for them all?
What?

If you can play for NI, you can play for England, Scotland or Wales also.
Testing Accessibility

MW

No - see FIFA's article 16, which covers nationalities that would qualify a player for more than one Association.

ziggysego

Quote from: MW on March 07, 2010, 10:33:10 PM
No - see FIFA's article 16, which covers nationalities that would qualify a player for more than one Association.

Didn't mean they could swap and switch. For instance, Michael Owens is Welsh but plays for England. However that was a schools thing.
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: MW on March 07, 2010, 09:55:57 PM

Falls down on the fact that his basic premise is simply wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The anti-sectarianism drive started before Neil Lennon signed for Celtic. (And that's without getting into his rather forgetful account of what happened)

And ending with the non sequitur, "path to enlightenment" = all-Ireland team (not to mention "truly national side" - politics laid bare there, eh!) - kind of shows up the writer's agenda just a touch.

PS...what does "more welcoming and culturally-friendly environs" mean?

MW when will "you people" ever get your heads out of the sand and realise that a nationalist/republican/catholic young fella is not going to be enticed to your team while you have the baggage of GSTQ and the Butchers Apron! Not to forget the still sizeable portion of bigots in your support! If you want to appeal to the other 50+% (must be nearly there) of the population then CHANGE.
Tbc....

MW

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 07, 2010, 10:39:56 PM

Falls down on the fact that his basic premise is simply wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The anti-sectarianism drive started before Neil Lennon signed for Celtic. (And that's without getting into his rather forgetful account of what happened)

And ending with the non sequitur, "path to enlightenment" = all-Ireland team (not to mention "truly national side" - politics laid bare there, eh!) - kind of shows up the writer's agenda just a touch.

MW when will "you people" ever get your heads out of the sand and realise that a nationalist/republican/catholic young fella is not going to be enticed to your team while you have the baggage of GSTQ and the Butchers Apron! Not to forget the still sizeable portion of bigots in your support! If you want to appeal to the other 50+% (must be nearly there) of the population then CHANGE.

Three points here:

1 - NI has currently, as it always has, players from a Catholic/nationalist community background
2 - NI don't use the Union Flag
3 - I've long advocated the adoption of a NI-specific anthem

MW

Quote from: ziggysego on March 07, 2010, 10:36:19 PM
Quote from: MW on March 07, 2010, 10:33:10 PM

Didn't mean they could swap and switch. For instance, Michael Owens is Welsh but plays for England. However that was a schools thing.

Michael Owen was born in England.

British nationality alone doesn't qualify a player to play for England, NI, Wales or Scotland - there has to be a birth/residency/ancestry connection as well.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: MW on March 07, 2010, 10:46:17 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 07, 2010, 10:39:56 PM

Three points here:

1 - NI has currently, as it always has, players from a Catholic/nationalist community background
2 - NI don't use the Union Flag
3 - I've long advocated the adoption of a NI-specific anthem

Should have said bastardised ni fleg.

You still haven't answered my question.
Tbc....