Wilson called to the Dark Side

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, February 22, 2010, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I thought Eoin Downing would rank alongside Aghagallon's most famous exports?

B the way used to play soccer with Frankie Mc Conaghy who played also for Aghagallon Mitchels

boojangles

Quote from: ziggysego on February 28, 2010, 11:52:05 PM
Quote from: boojangles on February 28, 2010, 11:39:56 PM
I was born in Cavan but my grandfather was born in Scotland,obviously under the grandparent rule I could play for Scotland but would it mean I could play for NI?

and England and Wales... apparently.

If you had to choose between NI,England,Scotland or Wales to play for, who would it be?

ziggysego

Quote from: boojangles on March 01, 2010, 10:10:52 PM
I was born in Cavan but my grandfather was born in Scotland,obviously under the grandparent rule I could play for Scotland but would it mean I could play for NI?

If you had to choose between NI,England,Scotland or Wales to play for, who would it be?

Wales
Testing Accessibility

Mickey Linden

T Fearon

The Aghagallon lads will know who I'm talking about ;D

Mickey Linden

Im from Aghagallon Tony. Never heard of him.

ziggysego

Yeah, he sounds famous alright Tony ::)
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Pub owners, out towards Aghalee direction?

JimStynes

Ivan Downing you mean Tony? They own Clenaghans Restaurant?

Main Street

Quote from: magickingdom on February 27, 2010, 12:28:18 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 26, 2010, 03:13:15 PM
They are wasting their time with this sh*t... Good Friday Agreement and all that  :)

Irish FA set to take player eligibility dispute to CAS

The Irish FA is set to go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in an attempt to prevent more Northern Ireland-born players opting for the Republic.
The IFA move follows Everton player Shane Duffy's decision to declare for the Republic earlier this week.
Duffy had played for Northern Ireland up to Under-21 level and was included in the full squad last year.
Manchester United's Darron Gibson and Portsmouth's Marc Wilson have also switched allegiance in recent years.

Duffy's case differs from those of Gibson and Wilson in that the Everton player does have a parent or grandparent who was born in the Republic of Ireland.
The IFA acknowledges that under existing rules, Duffy is eligible to play for the Republic of Ireland.
However, the Northern Ireland governing body will argue that players such as Gibson, whose parents and grandparents were born in Northern Ireland, should not be allowed to declare for the Republic.

the cas will not be able to change eligibility rules, they may however try tightening up on players switching teams after playing for one team. good luck with that tho.

love to see the cas ruling on whether the british state should have 4 teams, how far up their arse are their heads that ifa sfa wfa and efa see nothing wrong with this? ni shouldnt even have a team ffs yet their still moaning and playing the victim

CAS do not change rules. If the IFA had an argument for changing an eligibility rule then they must do that through FIFA and the end of that process is a vote at Congress. CAS is a place where the IFA can engage in arbitration with FIFA.

Anyway the IFA are only arguing that FIFA uphold the eligibility  rules, specifically rule 15 and rule 16.
Trust the IFA to come up with that argument, they have to be the most moronic football federation going. Stubborn and stupid would be my main description.
Stubborn because they tried that argument before with FIFA and failed. Stupid because they do not comprehend the articles of eligibility even after they were rewritten by FIFA in May 2008. 
Article 15 was rewritten to also include the specific case of Irish citizenship in the text.

Article 15 Principle
"1 Any person holding a
permanent nationality
that is not dependent
on residence in a certain
country is eligible to play
for the representative teams
of the Association of that
country"

Then the IFA want FIFA to uphold article 16 ???
Is there no limit to their total ignorance?

Article 16 is about the 4 UK federations.
"Nationality entitling
players to represent more
than one Association"

That article merely brings the  UK agreement signed by the 4 UK federations into the Satutes.
It outlines the terms how the 4 federations can select players with the one nationality.

That leads me believe that the IFA do not actually understand that an Irish national is not eligible to play for them.
A Nationalist Northern Ireland player is only eligible for them because he is a British national by birth, according to the Brit nationality laws.

Mickey Linden

Ah Ivan Downing. Get u now Tony! Hes about the 3rd most well known Ivan in Aghagallon ;)

ziggysego

Quote from: Mickey Linden on March 02, 2010, 01:36:46 PM
Ah Ivan Downing. Get u now Tony! Hes about the 3rd most well known Ivan in Aghagallon ;)

So famous, the person proclaiming his fame doesn't even know his name  :D

Not quite up there with booking the hotel on the wrong weekend, but not far off it ;)
Testing Accessibility

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on March 01, 2010, 10:10:52 PM

Go on the dole...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

T Fearon

I went to school back in the 70s with Eoin Downing, whose family owned a pub out in Aghagallon/ Aghalee/Gawleys Gate direction. His name was definitely Eoin.

PS Also have relations myself out there, Pat and Eileen Lavery

JimStynes

Quote from: T Fearon on March 02, 2010, 02:00:46 PM
I went to school back in the 70s with Eoin Downing, whose family owned a pub out in Aghagallon/ Aghalee/Gawleys Gate direction. His name was definitely Eoin.

PS Also have relations myself out there, Pat and Eileen Lavery

I dont know Eoin, i will have to ask my da he would probably know him.  I am a Lavery aswell Tony please dont let this mean that i am related to you  ;)