Its snowing!

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, February 20, 2010, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Well Tyrone should really have the record already

Northern Ireland*     -17.5°C     1 January 1979     Magherally (County Down)

* -19.4 °C was recorded on 23 January 1881 at Omagh (County Tyrone), from a screen mounted on a north-facing wall. Due to the non-standard nature of this station, this is not accepted as the official minimum temperature record for Northern Ireland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

It's a balmy -5 here in Co. Armagh. I'd say -18 will fall in the next couple of hours in the 'Derg.

Aaron Boone

Why or how does Castlederg have a weather station?

armaghniac

Well it's gone up 0.1C at midnight, did someone turn on a ligjht or something?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 19, 2010, 11:51:06 PM
Now the coldest night in N.I since records began!

Wooooo Tyrone! :p
-17.6 now - the big thaw is starting.

omagh_gael

I can't stand the tension.

Might ring into work sick in the morning and pull an all nighter!

armaghniac

There seems to be a significant cloud/snow shower coming from the North coast on the radar. Is it snowing in Stabane or Omagh? This will feck up the record for a few hours, I imagine. Off to bed, then.

omagh_gael

Quote from: armaghniac on December 20, 2010, 12:54:44 AM
There seems to be a significant cloud/snow shower coming from the North coast on the radar. Is it snowing in Stabane or Omagh? This will feck up the record for a few hours, I imagine. Off to bed, then.

No snow in Omagh yet . Although the radar from raintoday shows a shower on its way. I will keep the updates coming.

Just hit -18 in the derg:

Observed at 00:00, Monday 20th December
Weather
White CloudTemp
(°C)

C'mon to feck Tyrone!

give her dixie

http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/11783/Hughes39-News.5974763.jp

The big freeze of the past few weeks has, naturally, caused much comparison to previous lengthy periods when snow and ice enveloped our communities.

And, for many folk in these parts, one incident stands out above all others - the time back in early 1963 when the 'boul' PG McQuaid drove his mini car onto the frozen but hazardous Black Lough.

A couple of weeks ago this newspaper carried a front page story warning parents of the dangers of children skating or walking on what is the properly-titled Ballysaggart Lake and I'm sure similar warnings were issued by bodies concerned with public welfare almost a half-century ago.

But PG McQuaid, a wealthy bookmaker and successful entrepreneur - or maybe even a wheeler-dealer, as he might colloquially have been described back then - was far from a fool and he was doubtless convinced he was taking no risk in what he did, a fact confirmed by the man who actually owned the one year old car in question, his eldest son Terry
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

give her dixie

-14.7 at 01 00

Some record at -17.6 all the same.....
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

maggie

Have been sent the same txt a few times about police handing out fines/penalty points to drivers if their cars aren't cleared of snow. Dunno how true this is. The snow on my car is pretty much welded on at this stage.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: maggie on December 20, 2010, 09:59:11 AM
Have been sent the same txt a few times about police handing out fines/penalty points to drivers if their cars aren't cleared of snow. Dunno how true this is. The snow on my car is pretty much welded on at this stage.
I would say it is bullshit to be honest.

I always said Castlederg was a cold house for taigs.

theskull1

Mentioned on Radio Ulster that there is no fixed penalty available for snow on the roof. The PSNI representative asked anyone who "might" have got one to contact the some function within the PSNI to deal with it so I assume some folk may have got penalties but they're not legal notices
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Banana Man

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 20, 2010, 10:23:51 AM
Quote from: maggie on December 20, 2010, 09:59:11 AM
I would say it is bullshit to be honest.

I always said Castlederg was a cold house for taigs.

:D

re the snow on the car, i don't know how the cops would do ya i.e. where would they stop you, in a traffic queue? they ain't going to get you on the road and get you stop in these conditions and if they get you in a queue the pen would run out of ink as everyone is in the same boat