Its snowing!

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, February 20, 2010, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Quote from: andoireabu on December 07, 2010, 09:37:17 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 07, 2010, 09:33:16 PM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on December 07, 2010, 08:00:07 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on December 07, 2010, 06:00:16 PM
Biggest problem is people driving cars they can't handle. If you can't drive a rear wheel drive car in icy conditions you have no business owning one.

@ Puck - I know from first hand experience that cat litter is great for getting out of a snow hole and creating traction. I carry a bag in the back along with the snow shovel.

Can anyone successfully drive one: I drive a BMW 320d and avoid the snow and ice as much as possible.
Are there any actual benefits to a rear wheel drive compared to front wheel??
None. 4WD is best then front wheel drive. As narrow a tyre as possible and drive as slow as you can in as high a gear as the car lets you.  Don't think fuel makes much difference.

Snowing again at home. Car hasn't read positive temp in a week

I think he was asking in general. Rear wheel better when you put the show down in a performance car no?

What's the reason people are saying low profile tires are no good in snow? Is it not the type of tire and tread that is important?

omagh_gael

I thought school principles are supposed to be the quiet, respectable, unassuming type TYP? You'd nearly think you're one of those bucks out lapping round the town on a Saturday night. Perhaps you are? ;)

Zapatista

A little tip for drivers out there. If you are driving too close to me I will slow down further to allow for the speed/breaking distance. If that frustrates you then tough, don't drive so close and I'll increase my speed accordingly.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Zapatista on December 08, 2010, 09:29:47 AM
A little tip for drivers out there. If you are driving too close to me I will slow down further to allow for the speed/breaking distance. If that frustrates you then tough, don't drive so close and I'll increase my speed accordingly.

Yep I do the very same...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ziggysego

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 08, 2010, 02:11:59 PM

Yep I do the very same...

What, drive too close to Zap?
Testing Accessibility

The Iceman

Quote from: bennydorano on December 07, 2010, 09:41:01 PM
That's what i was thinking; was wondering why Iceman was coming out with the "If you can't drive a rear wheel drive car in icy conditions you have no business owning one" ???

I'm just tired of everyone driving a rear wheel drive car and then complaining about how difficult it is to drive in the snow.
Rear wheel drive cars are more suited to people who can actually drive.
Owning one and driving with the traction control on is not the same.

IMO
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Donkeywalloper

However it is amusing to see  the smug BMW driver get their comeupance in the snow. Having to park at the bottom of the hill when the ordinary joe in his cheaper (but paid for) motor cruises on past

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Donkeywalloper on December 08, 2010, 03:05:57 PM
However it is amusing to see  the smug BMW driver get their comeupance in the snow. Having to park at the bottom of the hill when the ordinary joe in his cheaper (but paid for) motor cruises on past

A tad jealous there lad??

And before you say it no i dont have a BMW but i would'nt mind one for the good weather.

Tyrones own

Ive an idea...if you're that bad a driver, instead of slowing down to piss him off hows about slowing down and pulling off the road altogether and let people by that can drive!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Donkeywalloper

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on December 08, 2010, 03:21:12 PM
Quote from: Donkeywalloper on December 08, 2010, 03:05:57 PM

A tad jealous there lad??

And before you say it no i dont have a BMW but i would'nt mind one for the good weather.

Not in slightest. Had two. Absolute pure sh**e in snow and the official servicing was a rip off IMO.
What i dont like is the association that comes with. "OOhh a BMW !" etc

Puckoon

Quote from: Tyrones own on December 08, 2010, 03:36:37 PM
Ive an idea...if you're that bad a driver, instead of slowing down to piss him off hows about slowing down and pulling off the road altogether and let people by that can drive!

Bollocks. Just because someone is not maintaining a suitable braking margin from the back end of my car does not mean I need to pull over and let them past me. The braking margin between cars lies on the car behind - not the car in front. In treacherous conditions the last thing anyone needs is one of these gulpins driving up their arse.

You're not one of those too, are you TO?

Zapatista

You have a warped view on what's good and bad driving.

Let me break it down for you-
Driving at an unsafe disance from the car in front = Bad Driving.
Becoming aware of this and lowering your speed to reduce the distance required for safe breaking distance = Good Driving.

I don't do it to piss them off, I do it to protect them from self harm 8)

Celt_Man

Quote from: Puckoon on December 08, 2010, 03:54:57 PM

Bollocks. Just because someone is not maintaining a suitable braking margin from the back end of my car does not mean I need to pull over and let them past me. The braking margin between cars lies on the car behind - not the car in front. In treacherous conditions the last thing anyone needs is one of these gulpins driving up their arse.

You're not one of those too, are you TO?

100% correct Puck
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on December 08, 2010, 04:11:29 PM

Becoming aware of this and lowering your speed to reduce the distance required for safe breaking distance = Good Driving.

Leave TO alone!

MWWSI 2017

thebigfella

Quote from: Zapatista on December 08, 2010, 04:11:29 PM

Your making a big assumption the car behind remains at the same distance once you slow?

I think TO has a point (In a roundabout way  :P), you would better off concentrating on reading the conditions in front of you than trying to preempt and dictate to the drivers behind.