O Garas letter to Indo Editor in reply to Myers Article

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 19, 2010, 08:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Was Brendan Mulllin really that good?
Also he fecked off for a few years and came back just to get to the World Cup in South Africa.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 20, 2010, 06:51:40 PM
Also he fecked off for a few years and came back just to get to the World Cup in South Africa.

Brendan Mullins really was that good. He was the record try scorer for Ireland in the amateur era. That's over a hundred years of rugby. Not bad.

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 20, 2010, 07:13:36 PM

Brendan Mullins really was that good. He was the record try scorer for Ireland in the amateur era. That's over a hundred years of rugby. Not bad.

We were always told how great he was and rarely saw it. A bit like David Healy in the Premierleague.

17 tries wasn't bad but he was hardly a great.
MWWSI 2017

mouview

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: muppet on February 20, 2010, 09:35:40 PM

We were always told how great he was and rarely saw it. A bit like David Healy in the Premierleague.

17 tries in 56 matches apparently. Presumably most in the 5 nations.
I still don't remember him being as electric as Simon Geoghegan though.

muppet

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 20, 2010, 11:27:44 PM

17 tries in 56 matches apparently. Presumably most in the 5 nations.
I still don't remember him being as electric as Simon Geoghegan though.

Geoghegan's arrival was like going straight from Red Hurley to Liz Hurley without passing go.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Can anybody tell me if there is a photo of ROG actually meeting the Queen?
ASFAIK, Myers is referring to the well-publicised one of him standing with his hand in his pocket while waiting next in line to be introduced to her. I have seen no evidence so far to suggest that he actually snubbed her when they met face to face. If I were attending yet another of an interminable list of boring, long-winded functions and was waiting to exchange banalities with some dignitary or other, I'd probably do the same or worse.
IMO, he'd be wrong to go about deliberately insulting HM but I've seen no evidence to imply that he did either then or at any other time.
Johnson on the other hand, knew exactly what he was up to. For me, he was and is a lout and the same goes for Myers.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hardy

Myers used to write very funny satire, though and I'll always forgive anybody a lot for that. But he hasn't even got that saving grace now so there's no difficulty at all in disliking him.

Couldn't be having Brendan Mullin with that accent and the American teeth.

muppet

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 21, 2010, 11:32:56 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 21, 2010, 02:45:09 AM

ROG: Jeeees if this is Snow White the dwarves must be tiny.

Queen: My corgis tackle better than you do, ya langer.
MWWSI 2017

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 21, 2010, 02:45:09 AM
ASFAIK, Myers is referring to the well-publicised one of him standing with his hand in his pocket while waiting next in line to be introduced to her. I have seen no evidence so far to suggest that he actually snubbed her when they met face to face. If I were attending yet another of an interminable list of boring, long-winded functions and was waiting to exchange banalities with some dignitary or other, I'd probably do the same or worse.
IMO, he'd be wrong to go about deliberately insulting HM but I've seen no evidence to imply that he did either then or at any other time.
Johnson on the other hand, knew exactly what he was up to. For me, he was and is a lout and the same goes for Myers.

Lar,

Unfortunately for Myers the Queen herself was quoted after as saying that they chatted about her sons because O'Gara had been friendly with them when they tagged along to the Lion's tour of New Zealand.

Not really the stuff of louts to be honest.  Myers is probaly jealous that they don't number him among their friends and culture police here will now condemn ROG as a West Brit!

You can't win..........

/Jim.

IolarCoisCuain

For the love of God Muppet, he scored more tries that another Irishman in the amateur era! How can he not be a great? Do you not think tries count? I'm baffled here lads. Baffled.  ???

Olaf

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 22, 2010, 11:47:04 AM

For the love of God Muppet, he scored more tries that another Irishman in the amateur era! How can he not be a great? Do you not think tries count? I'm baffled here lads. Baffled.  ???

Mullin was a bit of class in a back-line consisting of other good runners such as Dean and Crossan. He was probably the most balanced runner in that back-line  and did an awful lot more than scoring tries. There was and is more to a centre's game than scoring tries.

An Irish rugby great?   Yes - IMHO.

bingobus

Was O'Gara's hands not sewn into his pockets to prevent his hands slipping down the "birds" top?

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 22, 2010, 11:47:04 AM

He made one Lions squad but didn't make the test team. A great? Not for me.

The 'tries for Ireland' record always had a similar total over the years to the 'goals for Ireland' record.By your logic Tony Cascarino must be a 'great'.
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Brendan Mullin was definitely a great player for Ireland in a time when we didn't exactly have many quality backs especially during the latter half of his career in the early 90's. To score 17 international tries given some of the talent he had around him was commendable. Had he been around for the past 10 years he would probably have been pushing 30 international tries. Granted he was not in Brian O'Driscoll's class but not many are but he was still a very good player.