Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Friend of mine got great deal from wiggle on new 105 groupset. Reduced to £379. Bought Monday delivered yesterday. All I'd say is pay by credit card just in case but never had issue with Wiggle

Ardstick

Its probably been asked before on this but what would be the best type of road bike to purchase for very hilly area?? Gear wise, chain wise etc?? Cheers

maddog

Quote from: Ardstick on February 28, 2024, 10:16:33 AMIts probably been asked before on this but what would be the best type of road bike to purchase for very hilly area?? Gear wise, chain wise etc?? Cheers

I'd look for something with a 34/50 up front and 11-34 at the back. Should get you up most things.

If its more leisure type rides look at something like a cannondale synapse. Usually has that type of gearing. If its for racing then you might need to customise it yourself.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Ardstick on February 28, 2024, 10:16:33 AMIts probably been asked before on this but what would be the best type of road bike to purchase for very hilly area?? Gear wise, chain wise etc?? Cheers
Better legs and lungs!
Hills are all about spinning the legs and maintaining a steady power for 10 mins plus.
Very trainable
Doesn't really matter what bike you have.
Different cassettes and chainsets just make it a bit easier

grounded

maddog

Quote from: grounded on April 17, 2024, 11:40:33 AMhttps://m.youtube.com/shorts/lTQTHcHNLCg

Definitely looks deliberate.

Was deliberate alright. As were the idiots throwing beer or possibly worse at him. There is a culture around Van Aert v Van Der Poel that is getting a little toxic for a small minority. Very hard to police maybe other fans can help in that regard.

maddog

Anyone doing lap the lough this year?
I intend do if i can get the miles in. Im on 50 at the minute and knocking up extra 5 per week.

RedHand88

Quote from: maddog on June 10, 2024, 01:08:56 PMAnyone doing lap the lough this year?
I intend do if i can get the miles in. Im on 50 at the minute and knocking up extra 5 per week.

Did it last year for the first time. You'll be flying. I only decided mid July i was doing it and did 6 weeks intensive training. It's fairly flat, especially the first half.
I'll likely do it again this year too.

trueblue1234

Anyone do much mountain biking on here? Just got a bike and looking to start out, but not really sure how to go about it. Just thought it looked good and the kids are starting to get older so be good to get out on The bike with them.

Must be mid life crisis time and trying to relive my youth! 😐
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

illdecide

Guys, bought a new bike earlier this year and started to ride it around March/April time. After 2-3 weeks of riding it which was perfect it developed a clicking noise that I thought was coming from the bottom bracket area but turned out to be the front wheel. Under warranty it was replaced fairly handy TBF. The same thing happened again 2-3 weeks after the new wheel was fitted and back to LBS again. Again, the front wheel was replaced without much fuss and on I went, low and behold the 3rd wheel has went the exact same way as the two previous all with the same pattern. It comes out of the bike shop perfect and rides like a dream for 200-300 miles or so then a gentle click develops that gets louder the more rides it gets.
I'm now on my 4th wheel but this time they have given me a different wheel to try to rule out a possible faulty batch of wheels, I've had these wheels on my previous bike and the were bomb proof and loved them but now it's head scratching sh1t.
Specialized have asked the bike shop to carry out all the usual checks (bearings, Hubs, Spokes etc etc) which they have done and can't find the issue. My Engineering brain is telling me that something in the Forks either twisted or not aligned properly is causing the issue but the bike shop have said they have check this too and found nothing.
Without disclosing too much info these wheels are top of the range wheels and there are not too many more expensive wheels on the market. TBF the LBS are looking after me but it's really starting to annoy me as a lot of money has been splashed out...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

maddog

Quote from: illdecide on June 12, 2024, 10:54:23 AMGuys, bought a new bike earlier this year and started to ride it around March/April time. After 2-3 weeks of riding it which was perfect it developed a clicking noise that I thought was coming from the bottom bracket area but turned out to be the front wheel. Under warranty it was replaced fairly handy TBF. The same thing happened again 2-3 weeks after the new wheel was fitted and back to LBS again. Again, the front wheel was replaced without much fuss and on I went, low and behold the 3rd wheel has went the exact same way as the two previous all with the same pattern. It comes out of the bike shop perfect and rides like a dream for 200-300 miles or so then a gentle click develops that gets louder the more rides it gets.
I'm now on my 4th wheel but this time they have given me a different wheel to try to rule out a possible faulty batch of wheels, I've had these wheels on my previous bike and the were bomb proof and loved them but now it's head scratching sh1t.
Specialized have asked the bike shop to carry out all the usual checks (bearings, Hubs, Spokes etc etc) which they have done and can't find the issue. My Engineering brain is telling me that something in the Forks either twisted or not aligned properly is causing the issue but the bike shop have said they have check this too and found nothing.
Without disclosing too much info these wheels are top of the range wheels and there are not too many more expensive wheels on the market. TBF the LBS are looking after me but it's really starting to annoy me as a lot of money has been splashed out...

I take it with new bike its disk brake?

For a ticking noise can be if a spoke isnt tensioned right and they can work loose on a new bike. But you would likely notice a jig in the wheel (not running true) if that was the issue. Is the noise uniform in that it happens every wheel revolution ? What make are the hubs?

illdecide

Yeah, disc wheels...Rotars have been checked along with spokes for tension, hubs and bearings.

Built with AeroFlange hubs, ceramic SINC bearings, and DT Swiss freehub internals, these wheels are light yet durable. Suitable for tubeless tyres and capable of withstanding high pressures, the Rapide CLX II sets a new standard for wheel performance.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

maddog

Sometimes it can be the daftest of things. I used to commute to work on the mountain bike sometimes and was convinced bottom bracket was making ticking sound every pedal revolution. So checked all usual stuff, pedals, chain ring bolts before was about to replace bottom bracket when i realised the shimano shoes i was wearing (lace up ones) had quite long laces. The little bit of plastic on the end of the lace was slapping about every pedal turn and was making the sound.