Michael Johnson, Downhill Skier

Started by Tony Baloney, February 08, 2010, 11:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Some of the crashes they showed were horrible but it's never going to end well if you fall off skis doing 90 down a steep hill.

imtommygunn

Strikes me as a bit like the road bike racing. They know there's a good chance they'll have a bad crash but do it anyway. The adrenaline junky kind of thing... Most of the crashes wouldn't have been felt at the time - they'd have been out cold!

Not to say the aftermath wouldn't have hurt like hell though.

The Subbie

The bit when Graham Bell( brit downhill racer now ski sunday dude) said that the best and safest way to get down the hill was to attack, go flat out and don't ever think of slowing was confirmation of what i have always thought of these fellas, nutters.

I was skiing last year and watching some young lads training for an inter village downhill competition, jesus they were moving, the ski instructor i was speaking to told me they were 16 and whilst they were going fast to my untrained eye, to him they had poor control and thus speed suffered, i could'nt believe what he was saying!!

But the margins between success and failure are miniscule, i thought the american downhill team manager told a good one where  after the american fella that busted himself up ( Mac anthony?) went, two more team mates of his were going,. one shite on the eggs and nursed him self down the hill whilst the other fella went flat out, no holding back, attacked all the way, just like what G Bell said, that took some balls.

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hardy

That's the first picture of a woman with her clothes on I can remember seeing on this board.

mc_grens

My favourite was always Alberto Tomba in the Giant Slalom. He'd always leave himself alot to do to get into the medals after the first run. Then he would pull a miracle outta the bag in the second run and win the gold by .00001 of a second!

saffron sam2

Quote from: mc_grens on February 09, 2010, 11:10:21 AM
My favourite was always Alberto Tomba in the Giant Slalom. He'd always leave himself alot to do to get into the medals after the first run. Then he would pull a miracle outta the bag in the second run and win the gold by .00001 of a second!

Ingemar Stenmark was my favourite (in a non-gay type way Olly).

haranguerer

Quote from: The Subbie on February 09, 2010, 10:28:26 AM
The bit when Graham Bell( brit downhill racer now ski sunday dude) said that the best and safest way to get down the hill was to attack

It is the safest way though, you need to be forward on the skis attacking the slope to get the control, you'd be much more nuts to be leaning back on them!

They are crazy though, but it must be some buzz!

I remember my first time skiing, after a few days we felt ready to try another slope, and trekked over to the top of a red. The three of us baulked at the sight of it - it looked straight down to us, adn was sloping towards the side of the mountain, but we were trying to talk each other into going for it. I went over the edge, and stopped a bit down - the other two backed out. Not wanting to have to climb back up, nor lose face, I decided to venture on.

I'd consider myself pretty adventurous, and have done a lot of stupid things in my time, but that was the most scared I have ever been in my life. I could hardly turn, so naturally just kept picking up speed, and having to throw myself to the ground to stop. I was terrifed - praying the whole way down the mountain. Funny when look back though!  :D

And that would have looked like a level surface to these guys!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2010, 11:02:30 AM
That's the first picture of a woman with her clothes on I can remember seeing on this board.

:D :D :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

gallsman

The Herminator was my favourite.

Didn't catch this but wanted to. No sign of it on iPlayer, anyone any idea why?

muppet

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 08, 2010, 11:40:02 PM
Two years ago, i was on holiday in Kitzbuhel in Austria during the summer.  We went up the mountain to the top of the Hannenkahn downhill ski circuit.  The drop from the start hut on the top is incredible, almost straight down for the first 100m.  Foolishly we decided to take the walk down the circuit to the finish line just on the edge of town.  It took almost 4 hours to walk down the pathway to the bottom which takes in the ski run for the race.  It must take a complete madman or a very brave one to ski down such a slope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9MafxguMQ

Here is a guy doing it with a hand held camera!

He speaks in German describing the ski run but Tyrone's Own claims he is saying the Iran are building nuclear weapons.
MWWSI 2017

saffron sam2

Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2010, 11:02:30 AM

I posted more becuase of her demise than her hotness.

mountainboii

Quote from: haranguerer on February 09, 2010, 11:13:51 AM
Quote from: The Subbie on February 09, 2010, 10:28:26 AM
The bit when Graham Bell( brit downhill racer now ski sunday dude) said that the best and safest way to get down the hill was to attack

It is the safest way though, you need to be forward on the skis attacking the slope to get the control, you'd be much more nuts to be leaning back on them!

They are crazy though, but it must be some buzz!

I remember my first time skiing, after a few days we felt ready to try another slope, and trekked over to the top of a red. The three of us baulked at the sight of it - it looked straight down to us, adn was sloping towards the side of the mountain, but we were trying to talk each other into going for it. I went over the edge, and stopped a bit down - the other two backed out. Not wanting to have to climb back up, nor lose face, I decided to venture on.

I'd consider myself pretty adventurous, and have done a lot of stupid things in my time, but that was the most scared I have ever been in my life. I could hardly turn, so naturally just kept picking up speed, and having to throw myself to the ground to stop. I was terrifed - praying the whole way down the mountain. Funny when look back though!
  :D

And that would have looked like a level surface to these guys!

You sound a bit shit at skiing.