Michael Johnson, Downhill Skier

Started by Tony Baloney, February 08, 2010, 11:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Herman Meier's crash on the downhill slope in Nagano '96 still scares the crap out of me.  A few weeks later a crowd of us decided to try the same course.  When we got to the ledge where the Herminator lost it, we just froze and ended up walking down.  Took us over 45 minutes to get down from the top to bottom.

Bell might have a point about going for it.  In my experience if you lean (evenly) forward on your thighs you will go fast but you need thighs of iron as it is bloody agony maintaining that speed and posture whilst enduring the impact.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

haranguerer

Quote from: AFS on February 10, 2010, 09:01:27 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 09, 2010, 11:13:51 AM
Quote from: The Subbie on February 09, 2010, 10:28:26 AM
The bit when Graham Bell( brit downhill racer now ski sunday dude) said that the best and safest way to get down the hill was to attack

It is the safest way though, you need to be forward on the skis attacking the slope to get the control, you'd be much more nuts to be leaning back on them!

They are crazy though, but it must be some buzz!

I remember my first time skiing, after a few days we felt ready to try another slope, and trekked over to the top of a red. The three of us baulked at the sight of it - it looked straight down to us, adn was sloping towards the side of the mountain, but we were trying to talk each other into going for it. I went over the edge, and stopped a bit down - the other two backed out. Not wanting to have to climb back up, nor lose face, I decided to venture on.

I'd consider myself pretty adventurous, and have done a lot of stupid things in my time, but that was the most scared I have ever been in my life. I could hardly turn, so naturally just kept picking up speed, and having to throw myself to the ground to stop. I was terrifed - praying the whole way down the mountain. Funny when look back though!
  :D

And that would have looked like a level surface to these guys!

You sound a bit shit at skiing.

And you seem a bit shit at reading...

johnneycool

Franz Klammer was the only man

I've done a bit of skiing myself and you don't really get the concept of the steepness of the slopes on TV. I've seen black slopes which were almost sheer drops and those championship courses are supposed to be worse.
You'd need legs like jack hammers for that sport.

mountainboii

Quote from: haranguerer on February 10, 2010, 01:22:48 PM
The bit when Graham Bell( brit downhill racer now ski sunday dude) said that the best and safest way to get down the hill was to attack

It is the safest way though, you need to be forward on the skis attacking the slope to get the control, you'd be much more nuts to be leaning back on them!

I remember my first time skiing, after a few days we felt ready to try another slope, and trekked over to the top of a red. The three of us baulked at the sight of it - it looked straight down to us, adn was sloping towards the side of the mountain, but we were trying to talk each other into going for it. I went over the edge, and stopped a bit down - the other two backed out. Not wanting to have to climb back up, nor lose face, I decided to venture on.

I'd consider myself pretty adventurous, and have done a lot of stupid things in my time, but that was the most scared I have ever been in my life. I could hardly turn, so naturally just kept picking up speed, and having to throw myself to the ground to stop. I was terrifed - praying the whole way down the mountain. Funny when look back though!

Yeah, not really. Not being able to stop or turn, things you learn on the first day, would make you a bit shit, regardless of experience.

johnneycool

Quote from: AFS on February 10, 2010, 02:25:18 PM

Yeah, not really. Not being able to stop or turn, things you learn on the first day, would make you a bit shit, regardless of experience.

AFAIK they teach you to stop by snow ploughing on the first day. A snow plough isn't worth my arse full of warm snow on a decent slope  :D

mountainboii

This happened the day before I went skiing for the first time. Sounded horrific, his foot twisted around on itself several times  :(

mountainboii

Quote from: johnneycool on February 10, 2010, 02:29:36 PM
Quote from: AFS on February 10, 2010, 02:25:18 PM

AFAIK they teach you to stop by snow ploughing on the first day. A snow plough isn't worth my arse full of warm snow on a decent slope  :D

No, but being able to turn is and they teach that on the first day too. Going down a slope where you can't stop is pretty idiotic in fairness, you're a danger to everyone else on it.

haranguerer

Good man AFS, you learnt proper turns on your first day? Clearly they spotted your natural talent you complete liar.

And of course its idotic - I know that looking back, and make that point in the post. I suppose you've never done anything similarly idiotic? You sound like good craic...

And just to put your mind at rest, there was noone else on the slope - the whole way down i saw three other people, and stayed well away from them. Dickhead.

mountainboii

Quote from: haranguerer on February 10, 2010, 03:08:48 PM
Good man AFS, you learnt proper turns on your first day? Clearly they spotted your natural talent you complete liar.

And of course its idotic - I know that looking back, and make that point in the post. I suppose you've never done anything similarly idiotic? You sound like good craic...

And just to put your mind at rest, there was noone else on the slope - the whole way down i saw three other people, and stayed well away from them. d**khead.

In fairness, someone as adventurous as you sounds like amazing craic, so there's little point comparing my own relatively mundane exploits. But here, maybe the next time you do something mad on a skiing trip you can come back here and let us all know how mad you are again. I, for one, can not wait.

Sandino

I have to say I loved Ski Sunday. Klamer and Stenmark were the men for me. The downhill in Innsbruck in 76 is one of my favourite sporting memory.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

haranguerer

Quote from: AFS on February 10, 2010, 05:09:36 PM

And just to put your mind at rest, there was noone else on the slope - the whole way down i saw three other people, and stayed well away from them. d**khead.

In fairness, someone as adventurous as you sounds like amazing craic, so there's little point comparing my own relatively mundane exploits. But here, maybe the next time you do something mad on a skiing trip you can come back here and let us all know how mad you are again. I, for one, can not wait.

No, being the first person ever to be taught proper turns on their very first day isn't mundane at all -  its extraordinary. And sure, considering you're not going to let the truth get in the way of anything you post, why not just make some shit up?

mountainboii

Quote from: haranguerer on February 10, 2010, 11:12:37 PM
Quote from: AFS on February 10, 2010, 05:09:36 PM

No, being the first person ever to be taught proper turns on their very first day isn't mundane at all -  its extraordinary. And sure, considering you're not going to let the truth get in the way of anything you post, why not just make some shit up?

Cheers, didn't think it was that big a deal but I'm glad you're impressed. Please don't forget to regale us with tales of your next adventures. Having to throw yourself to the ground to stop - Jaysus, I still can't get over that bit. Ya mad bastard, ya  :D :D