Brian Kerr brings Faroes to Belfast

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, February 08, 2010, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: T Fearon on February 09, 2010, 02:00:55 PM
I'll be watching that one, in front of a big fire , with coal from the bath tub, assuming the pigs in my living room don't block the tv. ::)

Of course if you watch it on the Beeb you will have to put up with the wall to wall coverage of "that Foreign Team".  You can have a chuckle about SammyG writing letters to the Beeb about Royal Charters and Golden Boy venting his fury about all and sundry.

Marty might even drop you a postcard from Tórshavn Tony.

/Jim.

T Fearon

Given that a lot of soccer games all over the world have a lot of political baggage stretching back decades, (eg Celtic Rangers, Barca Madrid etc) abuse is inevitable, but it is increasing in the GAA as well.

Jim I've had enough postcards from OWC, if only the feckers would bring me back presents from abroad!! ;D

stew

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 08, 2010, 10:38:46 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 08, 2010, 10:23:46 AM
Jim you sound surprised by this? Have I not being trying for years to expalin the reality of Windsor Park?

As for the rest of us, if gives us an extra incentive to see a team do well against the North of Ireland...as if that was needed.

Tony,

I read about their campaign on their website.  I'm sure that making the place more welcoming to all (including families) would mean that they would not encourage "vile and disgusting abuse" to anyone.

So yes I'm surprised that this kind of thing is left unchecked on their site.

/Jim.

(EDIT: I see there have been replies but they seem more worried about the media reporting this abuse than it actually occurring).

Why Jim, they have posted peoples personal information on their website, in fact wee marty, the chunky monkey that runs the site posted my details on there. They will stoop to nothing over there but God forbid you say one bad word about BB or in Oriors case have the gall to call the proposed new stadium 'the orange bowl'  :D and you get banned.

A lot of haters post on that site, more than their fair share thats for sure.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

T Fearon

What people from the 26 counties need to understand is that a so called "Northern Ireland" soccer team competing in international competitions like the World Cup and European Championships is arguably the only tangible perception that unionists have left, to convince (or delude)themselves and the wider world that the six counties is a "country". Hence the very name of their website "Our wee Country", hence the fact that every home game becomes an excuse for unionist triumphalism a proclamation to the world that "we exist" etc.

Jim_Murphy_74

The wagons have circled over there.   It would appear that everyone knows "vile and disgusting abuse" is par for the course at soccer grounds the world over.  As long as it's not motivated by sectarians it is fine.

I've been accused of telling tales out of school but personally I don't believe that "vile and disgusting abuse" has any place at sporting events, regardless of code.  And Mr. Owl (You obviously read this board), as I stated already 5 pounds is too much to pay to make that point to a bunch of people who don't want to know.

The original poster now claims "there's a perfectly healthy pantomine [sic] nasty element to being a football supporter", let's hope it more of the pantomime than "vile and disgusting".

/Jim.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 10, 2010, 08:33:48 AM
The wagons have circled over there.   It would appear that everyone knows "vile and disgusting abuse" is par for the course at soccer grounds the world over.  As long as it's not motivated by sectarians it is fine.

I've been accused of telling tales out of school but personally I don't believe that "vile and disgusting abuse" has any place at sporting events, regardless of code.  And Mr. Owl (You obviously read this board), as I stated already 5 pounds is too much to pay to make that point to a bunch of people who don't want to know.

The original poster now claims "there's a perfectly healthy pantomine [sic] nasty element to being a football supporter", let's hope it more of the pantomime than "vile and disgusting".

/Jim.

Is "sewer dweller" healthy pantomine (sic)?

I chnaged my avatar to a picture of a sewer dweller. 'Twas either going to be that or a photograph of Roger, but I wanted to show that even sewer dwellers have standards that some (and I mean some) on that board will never come close to achieving.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Main Street

If only you had been treated with consideration and kindness all those years ago, you might have had a chance to get out of your hovel, refuse to have 18 kids, get a job and live like Protestants.

rossie mad

I honestly cant believe what im reading.
Are the vast majority of northern ireland soccer supporters like this or is it a large miniority?

This is bordering on hooliganism in my book and that no one condemned the comment is beyond belief.
Would the IFA not be aware of such a site or its teachings?

wicked

Quote from: Main Street on February 10, 2010, 11:12:53 AM
If only you had been treated with consideration and kindness all those years ago, you might have had a chance to get out of your hovel, refuse to have 18 kids, get a job and live like Protestants.

And have a car and a television set.

T Fearon

No rossie. I would think that this guy is expressing the view of the average North of Ireland fan, its alright to abuse, but as long s there's no "sectarian motivation". They don't see the fact that a lot of players from a catholic/ nationalist background are opting to play for the FAI team precisely because of the history of sectarianism at Windsor Park.

It all boils down to the fact that the North of Ireland soccer team has become a badge of identity for many people who are more interested in politics than football and go to games to express their political identity.

I personally am not opposed to booing opposing players, if they've done a Judas or made some disparaging remark about the club I support etc, and I love the wit of soccer supporters (eg about ten years ago Graham Rix was Asstnt Manager of Chelsea and an ex Arsenal player, and he'd just been released from jail for having unlawful carnal knowledge and the Spurs fans were chanting "You're worse than Gary Glitter!! :D) but I think a line should be drawn and no player ever abused simply because of his colour, creed or sexual orientation.

GalwayBayBoy

There is a lot of hate on that site. They seem to be permanently irate about something or other whether it be related to football, rugby, politics or something on the telly. I won't even mention GAA. Most of it one way or another seems to come back to Ireland.

Where is the love? ;D

T Fearon

Yeah but the laughable thing is

They claim to be non sectarian! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 10, 2010, 02:03:23 PM
There is a lot of hate on that site. They seem to be permanently irate about something or other whether it be related to football, rugby, politics or something on the telly. I won't even mention GAA. Most of it one way or another seems to come back to Ireland.

Where is the love? ;D

They are always organising boycotts of different establishments, generally because they are perceived to ignore the wee six soccer team! Sad fcuks.
Tbc....

Main Street

Apparently Kerr was supposedly the sharp edge of the FAI sectarian policy that attempted to drive a wedge between the IFA and soccer players from nationalist background. Ironic that this conspiracy theory is fully believed to have merit at a time when neanderthal behaviour was common enough practice at WP.
Considering that there is an absence of evidence that young players were actually poached during Kerr's time, are the boundaries of credulity to be further stretched by an explanation that the ace football detective's efforts were thwarted every time by the IFA buffoons?

The gentleman's agreement between the IFA and FAI fell apart around the GFA. There were a number of Northern kids who wanted to be considered for selection by the FAI and were not turned away. You have a choice of believing that the gentleman's agreement was broken by the FAI or just fell apart naturally over the course of time.

prediction     Faroes 2 Norn Iron 0     Norn Iron 1 Faroes 1

T Fearon

Even the use of he term "poaching" and the implication of illicit activity, or bundling a lad into a car outside Windsor Park and driving him down to Dublin against his will,shows the downright arrogance of these cnuts.

No one was ever forced against their will to opt for the FAI and I suspect that had the option been available to them the likes of Jennings, Donaghy and O'Neill, even George Best would have opted for the FAI years ago. >:(

As I said before I'm pretty sute the IFA used Brian Kerr in some cosmetic cross community initiatives, and there's the thanks he gets >:(