Tyrone v Mayo - Healy park, valentines day

Started by tyroneman, February 07, 2010, 02:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimley

Saw it on TG4. The pitch looked very heavy and players seemed to find it hard going. The referee must have infuriated the players but Tyrone players seemed to question every decision whereas Mayo just accepted it. Peadar will not be proud of his part in McMahons sending off.

On the actual football, Ronaldson is looking like he is settling in well. Last year, he was getting game time as a link man but in the corner he is really looking the part so far. Likewise Andy Moran has finally been found a role that suits him and he gave McMenamin an afternoon that he will want to forget in a hurry. The backline looked a bit disorganised at times and you could picture them conceding a few quick goals to someone in the height of the summer. We lack physical presence in the fullback line especially. Parsons and McGarrity look like they are enjoying their football at the moment and the introduction of Seamus O Shea adds a presence in this area. Aiden O Shea had another bad day at the office before being hauled off (he didn't seem happy- but can have no compliants).

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 14, 2010, 08:52:38 PM
Quote from: Chimley on February 14, 2010, 08:29:43 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 14, 2010, 08:08:03 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on February 14, 2010, 05:47:35 PM
Jaysus I must have been at a different game today  :-\

I thought Mayo were there for the taking. Most of the Mayo points in the first half  came from Tyone mistakes (Hub = penalty, Packie = first 2 for example)

When we ran at speed at the Mayo defence we banged over 3 in a row and to be hoinest I thought we played much the better football.

Poor pass selection / execution at crucial times and basic mistakes killed us.

Colm Cavanagh was a curates egga again but thought Cassidy, Joey  and Red Sean aquittd themselves well

Was there for first half and I agree with what you say. Mayo's defence was terrible, for what I saw of it. Couldn't believe we led at half-time.

Were you ejected?   ???

:D No, club commitments meant I had to leave early. They weren't supposed to be on till around 8 but got a text just at halt-time saying they were to start at 6.

You went all the way to Omagh and left at half time? What could the club possibly have been doing at 6 o clock on a Sunday evening?

moysider

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 14, 2010, 09:08:37 PM
Quote from: Club Rossa on February 14, 2010, 08:50:21 PM
Colm Cavanagh had a good game today as did Dermot Carlin.Huge improvement from last week's horror show.

Doesn't matter how well Dermot Carlin plays, championship time he'll be put on the bench.  Remember 2007, he was their best player in Ulster and his reward was dropped for Meath quarter final. Has happened a lot to him in the summer. .

Why is this do you think?  He looks a top class defender.

up tyrone

Quote from: EC Unique on February 14, 2010, 08:10:27 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 14, 2010, 06:12:43 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 14, 2010, 05:52:52 PM
Tyrone very poor and did not deserve to be within a point of Mayo. Forwards were very slow and give no options to anyone looking to make a long pass. Midfield non-existant in 2nd half. Joe struck out right in front of the ref and left him no option but red. Some very basic errors made today and fittness does not look good either.  Will be fine come May or June but a scrap to stay up now. I thought Colm Cavanagh was brutal (again)espicially in the 1st half. He would struggle to make the top 3 club teams in Tyrone in my opinion.

What the hell game were you watching? He took a lot of deserved stick last weekend but was one of Tyrone's best players today. Caught two marks, scored a great point and was involved in numerous scores. Having watched club football in Tyrone that last comment is just nonsense.

Maybe a bit sore on him but I just think there are much better players in Tyrone than him. He gets far too many chances IMHO and I think this is to keep big brother on side.
Thought colm wasnt far away from being tyrones top preformer today,saying that you probably live close enough to mickey you should give him a call and see what he sees in him.I would assume that use would call yourselves a top 3 club in tyrone,considering use are made up of two clubs and what i seen of use against dromore last year and the big pick that use have and the poaching of other local clubs in that area he would still get on your team,an absolutely ridicolous comment to come out with.

Farrandeelin

Minor training was brought forward to 6. It was supposed to be at 8. There ye all have it now... ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

galwayman

Good win for Mayo again today. Looked more threatening up front than Tyrone in the bits I saw on TG4.
McMahon should never have been red carded. Couldn't believe Gardiner's reaction to McMahon's brush off. He hardly made any contact with him. He went down like he'd been shot

barelegs

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 14, 2010, 09:08:37 PM
Quote from: Club Rossa on February 14, 2010, 08:50:21 PM
Colm Cavanagh had a good game today as did Dermot Carlin.Huge improvement from last week's horror show.

Doesn't matter how well Dermot Carlin plays, championship time he'll be put on the bench.  Remember 2007, he was their best player in Ulster and his reward was dropped for Meath quarter final. Has happened a lot to him in the summer. .

Couldn't agree more Fox. I think he brings a lot more to the table than say Ciaran Gourley. He's consistently a solid man marker and he's very strong carrying the ball. I just get the feeling that MH isn't too sure of his best position.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: galwayman on February 14, 2010, 09:46:59 PM
Good win for Mayo again today. Looked more threatening up front than Tyrone in the bits I saw on TG4.
McMahon should never have been red carded. Couldn't believe Gardiner's reaction to McMahon's brush off. He hardly made any contact with him. He went down like he'd been shot

Ah yeah, those Crossmolina men drop like flies all the time!

*Runs away in case Deel Rover/venter/never beat the deeler comes along*.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

Tyroneman I don't know what match u were at but it couldn't have been the same one I was, the better team won IMHO.
The ref was diabolical, inconsistent, let some hand passes go and pulled for others. Thought ronaldson wld get the line & when he didn't it was hars. To send the Tyrone lad off for pushing PG.
Thought ricey was gas getting all indignant after moran rugby tackled him.
He was cleaned out today, thought Andy was MOM.

Again I cld see a lot of problems, FB line got opened up for the goal but I thought in the second half they were outstanding, higgins in particular. Watched Howley for the 2nd half, he got thru a mountain of work. McLaughlin had a tough day, dragged out the field didn't suit him.
McGarrity is possibly the most infuriating player, won an amount of ball but kicks it away too easily a lot of the time.
O'shea had a tough time of it, don't know why he was brought outfield? Hopefully the better weather will suit him.
While I was impressed by Ronaldson again he does some great things but then some awful. Needs to spend days & days practicing frees.
Varley will be disappointed with today but on the back of last week will get another chance. Was impressed by freeman.
Overall a good days work, they'll be delighted to have held out & shown real heart in the process.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Tyrone Dreamer

Cassidy looks a good option at full forward. With so many of our top forwards missing maybe thats were he should be played (though could leave us short out the field). Full forward line for the 2nd game was very poor. There's no excuse for them consistently standing behind the defenders looking balls over the top instead of making proper runs.

Think if Harte had made a few changes earlier in the 2nd half when Tyrone tired a bit we could have won the game. That was a terrible reaction by the Mayo player to Joe McMahons push, if that was the other way round there would be a huge outcry by neutrals.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

From where I was sitting it appeared that the one of the Mayo players got a box in the face (I was down the far end by the way and there seemed to be a few Mayo men and Tyrone men getting some attention).

The pitch was in poor condition, and the weather really affected the game, it was very very greasy esp. in the first half.

I thought both Mayo & Tyrone where poor for most of the game and could not believe the scoreboard every time I looked up.

I thought Andy Moran was a legend for Mayo today. Ronaldson was very good. When the Tyrone ran in lines at Mayo, Mayo looked in trouble, or full back line did very well to stop a potential massacre. Ronan McGarrity came into it in the second half. Parsons started very poor but came into the game as it progressed. Alan Freeman wasn't bad either. David Clarke saved us on more than one occasion today.

Yet again the Tyrone, Omagh, Healy Park folk outdid themselves in making the Heather County feel more than welcome, I warm more an more to the 6 counties every time I visit  ;D An enjoyable drive through Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal, Fermanagh & Tyrone too. I might stay next time and try my arm at a CailĂ­n Beag or a Wee Lassie.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

loughshore lad

Very poor stuff from Tyrone today although conditions were not lending themselves to good football.  There was very little urgency or fluidity to their game.
In defence Carlin was excellent through out and Big Joe steady at full back, he is so much more comfortable as a defender in my opinion.  Half back line was very poor.  It was a typical Hub performance some silly mistakes but you cant fault his effort and he brings a level of physicality that not too many others in the panel do.  Cassidy was poor enough and did better when relocated to FF.
Mcginley was not his usual self, the game totally passed him by and has not been at the races in the last few games.  Brian saw very little of the ball while Colm Cavanagh did very well today - he looked much more comfortable out the field.
The full forward line struggled, neither Kyle or Tommy are natural inside line forwards.

Tyrone Dreamer

Big Joe does look comfortable at full back. Harte should consider playing him there which would free Justy up to play out the pitch. His height and ability on the ball could be useful around the middle.

tyroneman

QuoteFB line got opened up for the goal but I thought in the second half they were outstanding

They coped well against a very poor FF line. no more, no less.

And yes - you can only play what's put in front of you but, given they just about matched thier direct opponents (and Peter Harte looked like he could have caused damage),  I believe if 1 or 2 of Cavanagh / Mulligan / SON had been there I don't think it would have been the same result.

Equally when Tyrone got thier ar*e in gear they opened up Mayo quite handily. As Ricey said in his post match interview - Tyrone seem to play for 10 and switch off for 20.

In the opening exchanges Tyrone were much the better team. 1-2 of Mayos opening scores came form bad mistakes on our part, not good play on thier part.

Hence I still believe Mayo were there for the taking today.