An Post ashamed of our history?

Started by red hander, February 05, 2010, 05:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 08, 2010, 09:15:22 PM
The only way that history has caused problems today is because Ireland has not fully emerged from them and gained full Independence. A country and it's people are defined and moulded by it's past. It should hence be proudly proclaimed. It makes us who we are. It makes us unique. No denials or revisionism can ever change that.

Really?

Really Really?

Tyrones own

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 08, 2010, 06:58:08 PM
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 08, 2010, 06:24:16 PM

winsamsoon, I have asked the questions;

who was the artist?
When were they painted?

If you can enlighten me that would be great as I would love to know exactly what cultural value these paintings actually have and not what some have arbitrarily decided that they have.

If no-one can answer those questions I am going to assume that the paintings aren't of any cultural value really

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 08, 2010, 08:13:44 PM
Listen nally, this is a discussion forum, I am not just going to meekly accept that these paintings have any intrinsic cultural value on your say-so or anyone else's until I am persuaded otherwise.

So to that end, do you have any answers to the questions I have posed a few times in this thread?

:D ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

saffron sam2

The paintings are by Norman Teeling apparently.

Googling is not a difficult skill to master.

http://www.normanteeling.com/rising.php
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ludermor

From the above site.

Norman Teeling is a painter with a romantic impressionist style and a passion for painting En Plein Air. Born in Dublin, Ireland in 1944, it was there where his tutors included Maurice MacGonigal PPRHA (1900–1979), Carey Clarke PPRHA, and John Kelly RHA (1932–2006), and where he earned a Degree in Art and his teaching credential from the National College of Art and Design. After twelve years of teaching Art at several Dublin colleges, Norman Teeling took a hiatus from the profession to pursue his creative drive in the Animation industry.

Norman Teeling worked as a background artist on two feature films with Don Bluth Studios. Experience also came as a background artist for Fred Wolf Films, producer of many successful TV series including Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles known as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the USA Zorro and The Fantastic Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor. Teeling traveled to Norway in 1996 to develop his first animated feature film, Gurin with the Foxtail. Work was also produced for several animation studios in Germany and Italy. Additional work has appeared on RTÉ, the Irish state TV broadcaster, and his creation Fearless Film was produced for Children's Television, Dublin.

The Artist, experimenting in varied mediums, created a cartoon strip that was published over a six-year period by The Irish Press (defunct) and his illustrations also appeared in Sunday World. Norman Teeling has also completed set designs for Gate Theatre and Tivoli Theatre in Dublin. Further, he has published two books of cartoons Irish Brew and Sloth. His latest literary opus is Norman Teeling Paints The Irish Landscape In Oils, an En Plein Air teaching and reference work, with a preface by Sunny Apinchapong-Yang.
Norman Teeling's monumental ten painting suite, The 1916 Rising, now hangs on permanent display in the General Post Office, Dublin. Acquired by An Post in 1998, the oils depict events surrounding the Easter Rising, perhaps the most significant societal event in Ireland since the rebellion of 1798.

Seen recently...

"His human subject, usually a solitary female, graceful and elegant, seems also fragile and vulnerable. Often sensually depicted in sunlit rooms, they have about them an air of expectation and yearning and they seem devoid of any smugness. There is a vibrancy of colour and a confident energy in the brushwork."
Norman Teeling holds exhibitions in many of Ireland's top art galleries. The Artist's work is regularly on display at The Green Gallery at St. Stephen's Green Centre and Gallery 4 in Sandymount, Dublin, and The Warren Gallery in Skibbereen, Co. Cork, Killarney Art Gallery in Killarney, Co. Kerry, Lilly Fine Art & Print Gallery in Slane, Co. Meath, The Barbara Stanley Gallery in Putney, London and elsewhere.
Norman Teeling's interest outside of art is music. An accomplished guitarist having performed both "semi-" and "professionally" through five decades, he was active in the Dublin music scene in the 1960's playing with The Difference among others, and is credited with composing both sides of the Jim Power & Taurus single from 1978. Norman Teeling's first solo single was released on the Phaeton label in 1981, the live B-side of which features Eric Bell, formerly of Thin Lizzy. Norman Teeling's two solo LPs for the label are both blues rock.

ardmhachaabu

These culture vultures should have been able to google and post the link

Never heard of this artist - I stand by what I have said all along, so what his paintings are no longer going to be in the GPO, they won't be missed
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Nally Stand

I don't expect you to roll over. But I would once again ask for an answer as to my previous question. If these paintings should not hang because the artist isn't well known, should we then also dig up the Garden of Remembrance as it's designer is not well known? Or should famine memorials be torn down if the sculptor isn't world recognised? I personally don't care, if they keep our history alive, who designed/sculpted/painted appropriate tributes in appropriate places. Like in the GPO for example.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

TirEoghaingodeo

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 09, 2010, 09:22:43 AM
These culture vultures should have been able to google and post the link

Never heard of this artist - I stand by what I have said all along, so what his paintings are no longer going to be in the GPO, they won't be missed

Glad to get your opinion on this, wasn't quite sure where you stood.
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

ludermor

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 09, 2010, 10:27:48 AM
I don't expect you to roll over. But I would once again ask for an answer as to my previous question. If these paintings should not hang because the artist isn't well known, should we then also dig up the Garden of Remembrance as it's designer is not well known? Or should famine memorials be torn down if the sculptor isn't world recognised? I personally don't care, if they keep our history alive, who designed/sculpted/painted appropriate tributes in appropriate places. Like in the GPO for example.
For whats its worth the Garden of Rememberance was designed by Daithi Hanley a renowed architect who worked for Dublin City Council.
Most of the items you have mentioned would have been commisioned to do their works so its not quite the same as someone painting a subject and then selling to a company.

Nally Stand

Renown is a bit much. I'd be fairly sure most people would not be familiar with the name. There's always google though eh. Whether they were commissioned or not is completely irrelevant in my opinion. Paintings depicting one of our most significant historical events simply deserve to be hung in the building this event centred around. Only in the free state could this end up being a subject of debate. I only wish people would stop being apologists for those who would try to hide/deny our history.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Ps Ludermore, as I say not that it matters in my opinion, but the ten paintings were also commissioned by An Post.

ludermor

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 09, 2010, 11:20:37 AM
Renown is a bit much. I'd be fairly sure most people would not be familiar with the name. There's always google though eh. Whether they were commissioned or not is completely irrelevant in my opinion. Paintings depicting one of our most significant historical events simply deserve to be hung in the building this event centred around. Only in the free state could this end up being a subject of debate. I only wish people would stop being apologists for those who would try to hide/deny our history.
All relative i assume, he would be well known in Architecturlal circles. Im sure there have been 1000's of paintings done about 1916, should they all be hanging in the GPO?

haveaharp

Quote from: red hander on February 05, 2010, 05:34:35 PM
From the Indo

PAINTINGS depicting the 1916 Easter Rising, which were removed from the General Post Office (GPO) in Dublin five years ago, will not be reinstalled in a decision that has dismayed historians.

The 10 paintings, which show important scenes from the Rising, were removed in 2005 when An Post carried out renovations on the building for the Rising's 90th anniversary in 2006.
But An Post has now decided the GPO is "not suitable" for the paintings and is now looking for "a new home" for them.

Historian Pat Liddy, who gives walking tours in Dublin, said he believes the paintings, which give a good account of the Rising to tourists,  should be reinstalled in the historic building where it took place.

"They were very revolutionary and romantic, and they got the message across," he said.

"They were widely spread around the walls of the GPO, but now there's very little, except photos and a copy of the Proclamation, to say this is the place where it happened. 
"I think it makes sense if An Post were even to only put some of them up. The pictures give a sense of what went on in the office."

The paintings, by Norman Teeling depict scenes such as the signing of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic in Liberty Hall, Padraig Pearse reading the proclamation and James Connolly when he was wounded.

"One of them shows Connolly on a stretcher while the building is coming down in flames," Mr Liddy said.

But even though An Post bought the paintings, it is now looking for somewhere else to install them. A spokesperson for An Post said: "While the possibility of improving the lighting and captioning of the paintings was investigated, this wasn't pursued as the space was not at all suitable for the purpose of displaying art pieces.

"The paintings remain in secure storage pending their display in a more suitable space."

Councillor Larry O'Toole will table a motion in next month's city council meeting calling for a letter to be written to An Post requesting the paintings be returned to display. "I'm calling on An Post to have them put back in the main lobby -- they owe it to the people of Dublin," he said.

In all fairness, we in the north are being asked to move on all the time. Should the south not do the same and forget about the failed rising.

winsamsoon

I fail to see how this moving on term involves people forgetting their history. In the north the term Moving on is thrown about but it really means getting on with people. I can certainly get on with all types of people from all religions without having to forget my history. So that argument doesn't hold any water with me.

I know this thread started about paintings being hung in the GPO but it is really getting a bit silly and turning into a name calling feast. I was coming at the argument from the perspective that history (our history) in general is becoming dilluted and replaced by people wondering what the next game for the playstation 3 or xbox will be . Rather than know the history of their existance they are more concerned with these meaningless and superficial things. Thus making moral values and cutural values that have existed for years fade into the past.

The artist of these painting are not important it is the mere symbolism and message being sent out. The message i am getiing seems to be saying that this is an even that happened almost 100 years ago lets forget it and get on. To me this is wrong and leads me to question why.

Are they trying to appeal to foreigners in the ever increasing multi cultural state? if so are we happy to sit back and accept this at our historical expense? I am all for Multi cultural societies but the civil rights and liberties of the established nation must still be at the heart of the country. It is not possible to please all ( i wouldn't expect to go to Iran and see them dismantling posters of a famous prophet ) because this is at the heart of the Iranian ethos . Events like the Easter Rising are at the centre of our and should be promoted with every opportunity. (maybe slightly of the point but still relevant IMO)
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

delboy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 08, 2010, 09:26:25 PM
Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it

A platitude, both cultures know their history and both seem to keep making the same mistakes. I'd rather use sound judgement than sound bites.

Nally Stand

Ludermor, do I think it should hang every painting of the Rising? No. Why would I? Where did I even suggest it? Do I believe that these paintings of the Rising should remain
In the building in whith it took place? Absolutely. It boggles the mind that anyone would have a problem with this. Have a harp, this "move on" crap winds me. We are moving on, we're in a successful Peace Process but our history defines who we are. It would be nothing short of a moral crime to hide it and deny it.