Shallow soccer

Started by longrunsthefox, February 04, 2010, 03:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Why do soccer supporters believe this nonsense from players ...

Not to say that Robbie Keane is shallow and fickle but...

Keane on going to Liverpool (July 2008):
"To wear that shirt is an honour, and something I truly understand. I've been waiting for this day since I was a kid. Everyone knows I am a massive Liverpool fan, so to be sitting here today in a Liverpool tracksuit is a dream come true. I always wanted to be a footballer as a kid, but also to play for Liverpool."

Back to Spurs (February 2009):
"It was a difficult decision to make to leave Tottenham in the summer," Keane said. "It proved not to be the right move for me.
"I know some Spurs fans will feel I let them down by leaving but I can assure them I shall be giving my all for this club - this club has terrific fans and I want to repay them for all their support. We've got to get on and fight our way up that league table."

...and Celtic this week...
Keane was delighted having been consistently linked with the club.
"The club is massive," he said. "I am a Celtic fan and did not have to ask much about it. I always wanted to play for Celtic and it works for all parties."
Keane, a lifelong Celtic fan, has made 25 appearances for Spurs this season but has recently been confined to the substitutes' bench.
Spurs manager Harry Redknapp gave his blessing to the switch. "He is a Celtic man so it's a dream come true for him," he said.

ffs  ::)

Farrandeelin

I have a Ricky Tomlinson book and somebody quoted in it that all professional soccer players are scum and nothing that comes from any of their mouths should be believed.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

What's the alternative?

To be honest I'd have preferred Real Madrid or even Man Utd but the money is great and the fans will love me so yea, not too bad.

Looks like I'm even more shyte than people thought so I can forget Madrid altogether now. Spurs are an unambitious mid-table outfit so I'm probably back where I belong.

...and Celtic this week..
Well fcuk me even unambitious mid-table clubs are above me so yea I'm off to cash in on being Irish at the only club that might pay me. I'll do me best but it's hard to get up the morning for places like Inverness.
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

Quote from: muppet on February 04, 2010, 03:10:51 PM
What's the alternative?

To be honest I'd have preferred Real Madrid or even Man Utd but the money is great and the fans will love me so yea, not too bad.

Looks like I'm even more shyte than people thought so I can forget Madrid altogether now. Spurs are an unambitious mid-table outfit so I'm probably back where I belong.

Well fcuk me even unambitious mid-table clubs are above me so yea I'm off to cash in on being Irish at the only club that might pay me. I'll do me best but it's hard to get up the morning for places like Inverness.

:D :D :D :D

I like your version better
Testing Accessibility

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 04, 2010, 03:05:57 PM
I have a Ricky Tomlinson book and somebody quoted in it that all professional soccer players are scum and nothing that comes from any of their mouths should be believed.
Slight generalisation by whoever said that.

Puckoon

Fox, I don't understand what you're in a tizzy about.

Is it unusual for a kid growing up in Ireland to like Celtic/rangers and an english team? That would be classed as life long support in my opinion.

What's strange about calling the team that you currently play on "we"?

I think you're going way out of your way to get bothered by this.

HowAreYeGettinOn

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 04, 2010, 03:01:49 PM
Why do soccer supporters believe this nonsense from players ...

Not to say that Robbie Keane is shallow and fickle but...

"To wear that shirt is an honour, and something I truly understand. I've been waiting for this day since I was a kid. Everyone knows I am a massive Liverpool fan, so to be sitting here today in a Liverpool tracksuit is a dream come true. I always wanted to be a footballer as a kid, but also to play for Liverpool."

"It was a difficult decision to make to leave Tottenham in the summer," Keane said. "It proved not to be the right move for me.
"I know some Spurs fans will feel I let them down by leaving but I can assure them I shall be giving my all for this club - this club has terrific fans and I want to repay them for all their support. We've got to get on and fight our way up that league table."

...and Celtic this week...
Keane was delighted having been consistently linked with the club.
"The club is massive," he said. "I am a Celtic fan and did not have to ask much about it. I always wanted to play for Celtic and it works for all parties."
Keane, a lifelong Celtic fan, has made 25 appearances for Spurs this season but has recently been confined to the substitutes' bench.
Spurs manager Harry Redknapp gave his blessing to the switch. "He is a Celtic man so it's a dream come true for him," he said.

ffs  ::)

Don't see anything wrong with the Liverpool and Celtic quotes to be honest. What's wrong with being a fan of different teams who play in different countries? I know any amount of lads who follow a team in England and follow Celtic too.

As for the Spurs quote, 'we' is an abbreviation for 'Spurs'. It's also a way of indicating that he's rowing in with the team, pulling his weight etc. He's hardly going to say 'Spurs have got to get on and fight their way up that league table', as if he's talking about some team that have nothing to do with him.

thebigfella

Quote from: Puckoon on February 04, 2010, 03:16:48 PM

Is it unusual for a kid growing up in Ireland to like Celtic/rangers and an english team? That would be classed as life long support in my opinion.

FFS you go in before me   :(

Pointless thread about nothing apart from looking to get a dig at football fans.

Doogie Browser

shock horror, soccer player tries to endear himself to club supporters.

supersub

Quote from: thebigfella on February 04, 2010, 03:20:45 PM

FFS you go in before me   :(

Pointless thread about nothing apart from looking to get a dig at football fans.

Here here, what a load of rubbish. Put it in perspective and theres nothing wrong with what he said!!

bingobus

Its soccer, lets all have a dig.

Its a running joke among alot of "soccer" supporters when a player is linked to them, they'll state "he's a lifelong red" or "stood on the streford end as a kid" and is he doesn't sign he was always a Manc twat anyway or the like.

Could this be compared to a GAA supporter getting all excited over a county match and the county star and then two weeks later they are abusing the county star from a height when he lines out against their club!

EC Unique

Quote from: muppet on February 04, 2010, 03:10:51 PM
What's the alternative?

:D :D

longrunsthefox

I'm not in a tizzy but there are supporters actually believe these boys when they come out with this nonsense about how they love their team, and then their hero is off again on the cead bus ar maidin....

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Celt_Man

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 04, 2010, 06:30:48 PM
Non story

Oh I don't know.  I think a player, when signing for a club, making positive remarks is absolutely scandalous...  ::) ::)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010