anyone else see the meteor crashing down

Started by the Deel Rover, February 03, 2010, 06:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

When I saw it, it was fairly motoring and I wouldn't have liked to have been running away from it.

ziggysego

Quote from: orangeman on February 03, 2010, 11:14:07 PM
When I saw it, it was fairly motoring and I wouldn't have liked to have been running away from it.

Never understood this thing of people running away from a falling object. Just side step it.
Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

I reckon they dont know their arse from their fireballs at astronomy ireland headquarters.

Maybe it didnt do any damage because it wasnt big enough, or didnt hit anything, but certainly not because it slowed down. It was still falling from the fecking sky!

Still though, if it wasnt for the potential loss of life - Id quite like to see one of these things "hit someone in the bake".

That'd be stellar viewing, especially if there was a crowd of eejits standing around telling him he'd be ok, as it had slowed down to only a couple of knots.

Puckoon

I just watched the video - them boys are right. It was barely at a canter.

Treasurer

Saw it myself off in the distance. 

Anyway what he said was it wasn't big enough to do any damage - UNLESS it hit you.

stew

Quote from: Puckoon on February 03, 2010, 11:15:49 PM
I reckon they dont know their arse from their fireballs at astronomy ireland headquarters.

Maybe it didnt do any damage because it wasnt big enough, or didnt hit anything, but certainly not because it slowed down. It was still falling from the fecking sky!

Still though, if it wasnt for the potential loss of life - Id quite like to see one of these things "hit someone in the bake".

That'd be stellar viewing, especially if there was a crowd of eejits standing around telling him he'd be ok, as it had slowed down to only a couple of knots.

I wish one would hit thatcher in the bake, I wouldnt even have worried about the loss of life. :-\
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Quote from: Treasurer on February 03, 2010, 11:50:05 PM
Saw it myself off in the distance. 

Anyway what he said was it wasn't big enough to do any damage - UNLESS it hit you.
that's what she said!

Zapatista

Quote from: stew on February 04, 2010, 12:03:31 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 03, 2010, 11:15:49 PM

I wish one would hit thatcher in the bake, I wouldnt even have worried about the loss of life. :-\

They'd be queing up to claim responibility.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Puckoon on February 03, 2010, 11:11:32 PM
Hold on.

Fireballs that fall from the sky with the gravitational pull of the atmosphere slow down sufficiently so you could step out of the way?
think back to that first reserve/junior match you played - the auld corner back who'd put on a few pounds and decided he'd give you a taster of the big league, he charges, one side step later he's on his arse and you're coming out with some smart arse comment!

Capt Pat

It is an omen lads, The Dubs for Sam maguire

el_cuervo_fc

I seen it on the way home from work.  Looked spectacular

Zapatista

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 04, 2010, 02:04:27 AM
It is an omen lads, The Dubs for Sam maguire

I doubt it. Meteorites land in Ireland too often to be a sign for that ;)

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Heard the experts say after it enters our atmosphere it's falling for 5 minutes so it should be reasonably cool when it lands. He also mentioned it slows down considerably but I thought he then said maybe to a couple hundred mph! Suppose that's airplane speed, but most seen it was maybe 100 miles up.

Also consider most shooting stars we see are the size of specks of dust in the atmosphere, the astronomers are suggesting this could be anything from the size of a grapefruit to a desk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHWBhxtk6z8 RTE news report.

Jim Corr might say it's a viral campaign for Meteor Ireland.

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

ziggysego

The BBC are claiming it crashed into Lough Neagh.
Testing Accessibility

dillinger

Some woman on the Nolan Show this morn said she seen one over Omagh last night.