Mayo v Galway NFL Division 1. 7/2/2010

Started by Farrandeelin, January 31, 2010, 05:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

I like the full forward line that's named for Sunday - has the look of a line that could put up a decent score and would be capable of goals.
Like others here, I'd assume SOS will play midfield, with Parsons going to CHF. Delighted to see SOS starting, we badly need physicality in midfield, which neither Parsons nor McGarrity can offer.
I have to say the two backlines don't fill my with confidence though. Vaughan and K Higgins as corner backs won't be good enough. We've seen that FB line in action, and it's not the answer.
I would have liked to see Alan Feeney get a start, hopefully he'll get his chance at some stage.
In fairness, Galway's team is experimental enough, so maybe the doom and gloom is misplaced - 50/50 game.
Or maybe that's just my mood getting better as the weekend approaches....  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Good man tubberman, to be honest, my gloom always lifts just as the ball is thrown in.  :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

roll on sunday, we are going to hammer them galway boys off the pitch
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mannix on February 05, 2010, 02:50:58 AM
Lar na parka, you have a very good way of putting it and you would write a good book.

Thank you very much, mannix, you are most kind.
Actually, there are a couple of books and a few CDs to my name.
I didn't compose all of the contents; just the intro and a few shovels of bullshine with the Irish- American market in mind.
There are some (okay, the missus and the mutt) who think I'm an expert on the subject in question.
Would you like to know what this subject matter is?

In case you do:
Mayo folklore, history, myths and superstitions! ;D ;D

Bejasus; some of ye here could stay tuned in to Joe Byrne on Mad West.
He just might announce details of my next effort some time soon.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

shaund10

I somehow doubt that. Mayo people look too much into the connaught final last year. Mayo beat a vastly underperforming galway side by a point, and with the aid if two lucky goals. If Niall Coleman had managed to keep his hand on that last kick out, im sure the result would have gone the other way. Thats how close it was.

Since then, Mayo have stuttered through the FBD, while Galway have been impressive. The Galway side looks more settled and the Mayo one more experimental. I can't understand how Mayo are favorites in places. I think home advantage has largely gone out the window in this fixture in recent years. Mayo seem to have more fans at both grounds anyway!

I think the naming of 5 players that you could call midfielders is a ploy by JK to crowd the middle and leaves oceans of space for the boys inside, ala Armagh with Clarke and McDonald. Also don't be surprised to see Joe Bergin line up at Full Forward at some stage during the game. N.Joyce and S.Armstrong are on serious form, and I'd expect Meehan to be introduced before half time. The thought of them 3 left alone with space inside is frightening.

The tussle betwwen A.O'Shea and Hanley could be crucial. AOS got the better of this one last year and it's time for Hanley to show that he isn't a player who will get bullied by imposing Full Forwards.

AbbeySider

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 05, 2010, 03:28:32 AM
I'm a little disappointed that we're going with the same FB line, would like to see Feeney/AN Other given a chance in there.

I don't recall that incident you decribe Lar but it bears a striking resemblance to something which also happened in a very recent AIF.......

Are there any other midfielders in the county that deserve a shot other than the 5 (incl Harte) that we have?He doesn't seem to fancy Kilcullen for whatever reason. K Conroy? Anyone else?

Kilcullen and the Feeneys have been involved in a lot of trial games, and doing well so I dont know what JOM is waiting for. I think Feeney is a more natural defender than Vaughan and perhaps McLoughlin but could be fitness thats keeping them both off the starting line-up?
As regards other mid-fielders, Jason Gibbons and Alan Freeman have had good displays last year and the year before but they are a big young for the big stuff yet.

GalwayBayBoy

Don't think the result of this weekend's game will have much bearing come the Summer if the sides were to meet again. Mayo are missing a couple of lads. Galway are missing the Corofin contingent and a couple of lads including PJ amongst them. In fact looking at the teams Mayo seem to have a side out that will not be far off their championship selection bar the obvious unavailables. Kernan seems to be still tinkering with positions and trying some new lads which is to be expected I guess so early into his reign. Has left Michael Meehan on the bench to give Michael Martin a run out.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 05, 2010, 12:59:31 PM
Don't think the result of this weekend's game will have much bearing come the Summer if the sides were to meet again. Mayo are missing a couple of lads. Galway are missing the Corofin contingent and a couple of lads including PJ amongst them. In fact looking at the teams Mayo seem to have a side out that will not be far off their championship selection bar the obvious unavailables. Kernan seems to be still tinkering with positions and trying some new lads which is to be expected I guess so early into his reign. Has left Michael Meehan on the bench to give Michael Martin a run out.
Thats basically it in a nutshell GBB.  This league campaign needs to uncover a few lads that will be credible candidates for starting berths come the championship and now is the time to be giving them a shot at proving their worth.  I would be quite happy to retain Div 1 and find a few players.  We have flattered to deceive in recent league campaigns and then flopped come championship time.  The Mayo side looks stronger than I thought it was going to be and as usual it will be tight on Sunday but I think we have a little bit more momentum going into this and sure isnt it our turn to win!

The flame still burns

mrhardyannual

if either Mayo or Galway are to be involved in the final stages of championship then a run to the semi-finals of the league is a preresquisite. No team that hasn't performemed well in the league has qualified for an All-Ireland final in years.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 05, 2010, 12:03:28 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 05, 2010, 03:28:32 AM
I'm a little disappointed that we're going with the same FB line, would like to see Feeney/AN Other given a chance in there.

I don't recall that incident you decribe Lar but it bears a striking resemblance to something which also happened in a very recent AIF.......

Are there any other midfielders in the county that deserve a shot other than the 5 (incl Harte) that we have?He doesn't seem to fancy Kilcullen for whatever reason. K Conroy? Anyone else?

Kilcullen and the Feeneys have been involved in a lot of trial games, and doing well so I dont know what JOM is waiting for. I think Feeney is a more natural defender than Vaughan and perhaps McLoughlin but could be fitness thats keeping them both off the starting line-up?
As regards other mid-fielders, Jason Gibbons and Alan Freeman have had good displays last year and the year before but they are a big young for the big stuff yet.
I often wondered about Kilcullen and his abrupt departure from the scene. Same goes for the brother. Whatever the reason may have been is immaterial by now. Good to see him back in contention. I still think he could be the answer to the FB problem. If he has picked up a bit of cuteness along the line, he would be a good asset to have on hand. I'm not criticising Caff in saying this; it's good to have options.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tubberman

Well I didn't see that coming! Is it time to lose the run of ourselves?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tubberman on February 07, 2010, 04:01:37 PM
Well I didn't see that coming! Is it time to lose the run of ourselves?

Should we book the Citiwest is that what your asking  :D nah I don't think so, but its always nice to beat Galway and it was a hammering too, we where 13 points up at one stage before Trevor was sent off.

I thought Seamus O'Shea, Donal Vaughan and Kevin McLoughlin where outstanding. McGarrity, Keith Higgins and Andy Moran where very good too. Indeed most Mayo players had a good game.

Micheal Meehan made a very positive impact for Galway when he came on. He is still a legend of a player, strong and skillful.

Re: Trev's dismissal I thought it a bit harsh, but a few people around me thought it was a red. When I listened to Mid-West ;D on the way home, they where sure it was a bad call, Andy Moran was interviewed and it seems Mayo are going to challenge the red. It made a big difference to the game and allowed them back into it, prior to the red we looked like we might beat them by 20 points, but maybe that was a blessing Christ we would lose the run of ourselves if that had happened.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

RedandGreenSniper

Definitely didn't see that coming. Mayo were impressive. A lot of good performances. Only Aidan O'Shea was poor. By the same token Galway were cat. Beaten out the gate at midfield and leaden footed all over the field. But we'll take the result!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 07, 2010, 04:48:50 PM
Definitely didn't see that coming. Mayo were impressive. A lot of good performances. Only Aidan O'Shea was poor. By the same token Galway were cat. Beaten out the gate at midfield and leaden footed all over the field. But we'll take the result!

True they where slow and a 6's and 7's with the ball. It seemed to me they haven't used a football in training at all.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.