iPad unveiled

Started by ONeill, January 27, 2010, 07:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Looks very interesting and a sign of things to come. This will radically change portable computing, much more than when Apple came out with the small Macbooks.

I'm still lugging around a MBP 3kg laptop.
My daughters  2kg Macbook feels like a feather in comparison.

I'm glad I don't have a need to buy a laptop now, in a years time it will probably be a no brainer to choose an iPad over a Macbook, a bit like  comparing the advent of flatscreen LCD screen and saying  goodbye to the old monster sized. crt screens

Kerry Mike

yerra you'd need some size of a shirt pocket to hould that hoor of a fecking iPad. Tis a beast of a yoke. The last decent thing brought out by Apple was the Granny Smith
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

muppet

Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 06, 2010, 06:50:08 PM
yerra you'd need some size of a shirt pocket to hould that hoor of a fecking iPad. Tis a beast of a yoke. The last decent thing brought out by Apple was the Granny Smith

Wasn't she Patspillane's gran, the one who played Junior 'B' at the age of 65?
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: Main Street on April 06, 2010, 06:47:40 PM
Looks very interesting and a sign of things to come. This will radically change portable computing, much more than when Apple came out with the small Macbooks.

I'm still lugging around a MBP 3kg laptop.
My daughters  2kg Macbook feels like a feather in comparison.

I'm glad I don't have a need to buy a laptop now, in a years time it will probably be a no brainer to choose an iPad over a Macbook, a bit like  comparing the advent of flatscreen LCD screen and saying  goodbye to the old monster sized. crt screens
why all the macs?  Other companies make computers you know, and often retail them at a fraction of the cost of the macs, they tend to be at least as functional and in many cases weigh less than 3kg ;)

Main Street

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 06, 2010, 10:42:19 PM

why all the macs?  Other companies make computers you know, and often retail them at a fraction of the cost of the macs, they tend to be at least as functional and in many cases weigh less than 3kg ;)
As to comparable costs
Our 2kg 13.3" ibook was bought in 2007 with 2.16 core 2 duo with 2gb ram,  afair cost about USD 1,050.
Even now it still blazes. A similar 'speced' laptop from Dell with the T7500 processor would have cost about USD350 more.
Even now the battery on this iBook is still 100% good  and lasts for 5 to 6 hours of normal use.

The 3kg 17" MBP was bought to use as a main home computer and other specific uses as well as lugging around.
Again, to buy a comparable from Dell then would have cost USD300 more and you still wouldn't have a MBP.

Nowadays the prices are closer
the cheapest 13.3 Macbook is USD 1,000
Compare that to a slightly heavier Dell Inspiron 13" USD 900. the Dell has similar specs but a has a cheap low performing graphics card in comparison to the iBook.

It is no problem with a tiny bit of research done beforehand to install MacOs etc on most non-Apple laptops or netbooks.
Even with that possibility, nothing could persuade me to choose say a dell mini over the cheapest ibook.

Bogball XV

i'll take your word for it main street, over here macs normally retail for the same amount of dollars that they do in the states, ie if it's $1500 it be €1500 here.  Dell's are much, much cheaper, maybe not quite as sexy, but as functional for the vast majority of us (i don't even have a dell myself, so i'm not a fanboy).

Main Street

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 07, 2010, 12:56:10 AM
i'll take your word for it main street, over here macs normally retail for the same amount of dollars that they do in the states, ie if it's $1500 it be €1500 here.  Dell's are much, much cheaper, maybe not quite as sexy, but as functional for the vast majority of us (i don't even have a dell myself, so i'm not a fanboy).
You have to compare like with like. You are comparing the price of an inferior component model to a superior component model. You have to check what is under the hood :)
A big part of Laptops' price differences depend on the processor used.
If you go onto Dell site you start off with USD 700, then chose the upgrade to a comparable processor that the Mac uses, the price then jumps to USD900.

Puckoon

http://www.rgj.com/article/20100413/NEWS/4130339/1321/news

Local indian reservation here just outside Reno and one of Americas largest lakes is the default picture for the iPad.

down6061689194

and we'll have to wait another month because steve wants more yankee dolar...

Tony Baloney

Fella in work bought one and had it in today. Really good quality display but I didn't have time to get him to out it through it's paces. Had it in a brutal looking case though. Dunno if it comes with a case, unlikely based on their other gear.

down6061689194

Cases & accessories hav a long way to come as apple didnt allow manufacturers to see the product. So they had to manfacture their own ipad, then design a case to fit.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

viiv

Any body with a better knowledge of apple workings know when the uk app store will open?

southdown

Thinking of getting the basis model at £429.00 and have a few questions.  First of all, I am rubbish with technology so these may seem daft :)

I have wireless broadband at home and have no wish to ever take it out of the house.  If I get the Wifi model is it a simple matter of hooking up to my existing connection?  No need then for 3G?

I have no ipod - will this preform everything that an ipod can?

I only intend to use it for browsing the web, building a music collection, maybe use the book facility etc.

Would the 16GB be sufficient for this?

Sorry again if these questions are very elementary.

Bogball XV

Given what you need it for, I honestly can't see why you want to buy one - the only extra that this gives as opposed to a laptop is the reader.  The whole point with an ipad is portability.
16GB would be nowhere near enough to build up a music collection imo, most laptops now come with 300GB anyway and since it's going to be in the house you can sign up to itunes and use your laptop to play your music?  After all an ipod is only a portable hardrive anyway.