iPad unveiled

Started by ONeill, January 27, 2010, 07:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Way over priced for giant iTouch from what I can see. For the money it's gonna hit the shelves at you could buy a top of the range netbook.

Once again apple trying to dominate the market, you can't plug anything into it. Sure it'll be pretty, but silly money. A few years down the road, they'll have a 4th or 5th generation version that may be worth buying.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

thebigfella

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 30, 2010, 01:24:10 PM
Feck it's pretty limited.

No USB, no multi-task and no slot card.

They would presumably be able to be jail broke though. Can a jailbroke iphone / ipod touch do multi-tasking? I suppose you would need to change OS and put Linux on it and that would solve it.

To be honest it looks like a very lazy effort to break into the netbooks market.

An iphone/ipod can multi task, the os is stripped down version of Mac OS X (Unix). Apple restricts some of their own and 3rd party apps from running as background tasks for performance reasons (You only have to look at Windows mobile at times to see why).
Background processes for 3rd party apps will eventually be enabled, probably in the Iphone 4 release but I reckon will probably tightly control the apps approved. It's not really a deal breaker for me because I know I can jailbreak and enable it.
Hardware wise though I reckon a webcam & usb should have been included but it's possible someone will come up with a usb connector for the dock.

I don't think it's a lazy effort, I think the idea and execution is quite good. As usual with Apple they only give us a taster and hold back from giving us everything which would make it complete product. I'm not sure where it fits in but looking at what I use my laptop at home for, I'm tempted, as the browser experience is a hell of a lot better on it (even without flash). People need to realise this not really aimed at a power user, it's a media delivery device, much like the iphone, first and foremost; pretty much like a netbook. I'll wait for the next generation though I think.

thebigfella

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on January 30, 2010, 01:35:21 PM
Way over priced for giant iTouch from what I can see. For the money it's gonna hit the shelves at you could buy a top of the range netbook.

Once again apple trying to dominate the market, you can't plug anything into it. Sure it'll be pretty, but silly money. A few years down the road, they'll have a 4th or 5th generation version that may be worth buying.

You can use the dock connector or bluetooth.

imtommygunn

Multitasking is a fundamental of an OS though bigfella and while there will be constraints in a mobile device which may mean it is a good reason to curb multi tasking on something which should have a reasonable amount of processing power to not have it is poor. It is in fact shocking.

Jailbreaking can be done and Linux or some flavour of UNIX installed granted however the average Joe Bloggs ain't going ot do that.

Based on that, even with your explanation I would say it is lazy.

Apple will control everything. When they enable that I guess they will fit apps into two brackets - multi task enabled apps (ie ones which can run constantly really) and no multi task and have separate approval processes. That would be my guess.

Everything is so controlled.The android approach is much better however I'd expect to see serious outbreaks of malware on the android in years to come. The only one so far on an ipod was a jailbroke problem so be interesting to see if they can keep it so controlled. I would doubt when the clever stuff starts that apple will catch it.

down6061689194

Quote from: thebigfella on January 30, 2010, 02:29:11 PM
Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on January 30, 2010, 01:35:21 PM

You can use the dock connector or bluetooth.

There is a card reader an USB, though you cant use them at the same time, cant find it but there is a plug in adaptor for SD and USB.

Anyone know if you could load this with MS Word and others if it was jailbroken? It'd be the ultimate machine if it could

imtommygunn

There'd be more potential for openoffice I'd have thought...

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

viiv

nabbed one today, very good but 2 big let downs. No flash and no multi tasking.

Minder

Quote from: viiv on April 06, 2010, 04:03:04 PM
nabbed one today, very good but 2 big let downs. No flash and no multi tasking.

Surely you knew this before buying it?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

viiv

Did yea, but its still annoying that apple didn't accommodate this.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: viiv on April 06, 2010, 04:06:06 PM
If you have a Touch or an iPhone you'll have known that there is an ongoing dispute between Apple and Adobe re. Flash support. I would say it will eventually be settled and you'll get Flash. Eventually.

GalwayBayBoy

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 06, 2010, 04:47:24 PM
If you have a Touch or an iPhone you'll have known that there is an ongoing dispute between Apple and Adobe re. Flash support. I would say it will eventually be settled and you'll get Flash. Eventually.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons Flash hasn't arrived is that it would be too muc of a drain on the battery, an Iphone battery is under enough pressure as it is. You would think these buckos in Apple that do the sums could come up with a battery that could absorb even extra use.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thebigfella

Quote from: Minder on April 06, 2010, 05:18:19 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 06, 2010, 04:47:24 PM

I read somewhere that one of the reasons Flash hasn't arrived is that it would be too muc of a drain on the battery, an Iphone battery is under enough pressure as it is. You would think these buckos in Apple that do the sums could come up with a battery that could absorb even extra use.

Actually I would say it's because it allows non native code to be executed on their device, basically bypassing the approval process for Apps etc. and their software development program.

Although I do agree with Apple a little, the Mac version of Flash is seriously bad and a complete resource hog. I can run a flash intensive sites/apps....though an XP VM instance better than though the Mac version.

Orior

Some nice features - if I'd the money I'd get one just keep up with the nerds and ahead of th average GAA Boarder.

Steve Jobs looks unwell though. Pity.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians