Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Do blondes have more accidents than brunettes?

Do blue eyed people have more accidents than green eyed people?

What's the statistics here?
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

Salford teenager describes £33k car insurance shock

A teenager has described his amazement after being quoted almost £33,000 to insure his second-hand car.

Jake Redshaw, 17, from Salford, bought a six-year-old Vauxhall Corsa for £3,000 after he passed his test earlier in March.

He told the BBC he expected comparison website insurance quotes to reach about £3,000 - but received a headline figure of of £32,819 from the AA.

The company said the figure was a mistake and should not have appeared.

'Drop me off'

Jake, from Eccles, was hoping to use his car to travel to Pendleton College, where he is studying IT, and his part-time job in a warehouse.

"The average [price] was probably about £12,000, £13,000 and the cheapest was £5,700. And I got £33,000 from AA," he told the BBC.

"I was amazed because I was expecting to pay £3,000, £4,000, but not that high.

"I can't insure it. If I want to go out I'll have to get my mum or dad to drop me off to go out. I can't be independent as I wanted to be.

"At 18 it apparently goes down, so I'll have to wait until then. But it's only a couple of months away so it's not that bad."

According to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), 12% of drivers are aged 17 to 24 - but they are responsible for almost 30% of accidents.

Business 'not wanted'

In that age group, drivers are 10 times more likely to be involved in an accident than drivers aged over 30.

A spokesman for the AA said the high risk associated with young male drivers meant the average industry quote for a UK male aged 17 to 22 was £2,750.

The AA said the figure was a mistake "Sometimes insurance companies would prefer not to have that business and rather than not quote they quote figures they do not expect to be taken up," said the spokesman.

"One of the insurance companies on our panel has produced a quote that just should not have appeared."

Last week, the Manchester-based Co-operative insurance launched a product that offers reduced rates to young drivers if they install a device to their car which monitors their driving.

The AA said it would be offering a similar scheme later in 2011 and believes such products could boost the number of quotes for young drivers.

JimStynes

I know f**k all abut car insurance so can anyone recommend some good companies to get a 1.4 megane insured? I hear insurance has went up this past 2 years. I have been driving for about 8 years with no accidents but haven't been insured on my own for about 3 years.

The Watcher Pat

Try confused.com Jim..Got mine for £265 and im a madman..lol
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

JimStynes

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on May 19, 2011, 09:11:49 PM
Try confused.com Jim..Got mine for £265 and im a madman..lol

Fricking 800 quid they quoted me. f**k that. Axa direct was asking for 450.

The Worker

How much extra are people paying this year for their insurance premiums?

mine went up by 25%, even when i tried pricing round some of the figures quoted where double that i payed last year.

is this standard across the board?

maddog

Was paying about 350, had a minor smack in the snow. Despite maximum protected no claims Gateway wanted 960 renewal. Kiss my ass.
Switched to Tesco for about 400

screenexile

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 07, 2011, 07:32:40 PM
Just got my renewal this morning from AXA.  I have been with them for three years and this year it has jumped by around 25%.  I had hoped that it would fall a little because I recently changed from A3 2.0 TFSI to a C220 CDI Mercedes.  AXA are asking £580.  I'm heading for compare the market.

Your insurance will not fall . . . the only way people's insurance is falling is if they go from 1 years NCB to 2years up to about 4 and then you will hit your lowest premium at 5yrs NCB and it will keep rising from there.

Your insurance will generally not change unless there is a significant decrease in engine size from your previous car.

Shop around as many brokers and websites as you can and get the price down as much as you can. Then go back to Axa and say you won't stay with them unless they beat the price you are currently getting and include Protected No Claims and Breakdown cover (if they don't beat it then just go to the other company). Insurance is ruthless and there is little/no loyalty in it.

Good luck.

JimStynes

I got a quote from open and direct for something around 600. Then I rang up all the usual ones and got quotes then went back to open and direct and told them axa quoted me 445 (the really quoted me 550).  After talking to his boss the fella on the phone came back and offered 443. Robbing bastards.

FermGael

Shopping around for car insurance again.
Managed to get my quote down from £830 to £545 after a wee bit of haggling.
But i am getting a lower quote from easyinsure.co.uk.  It comes in about £470.

Was wondering had anybody used them on here??
There is very little online about them apart from there website.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Billys Boots

Check the excess - the higher the excess you agree, the lower the premium.  Conversely, low premiums offered usually mean a large excess. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

redboots

caulfield insurance 02886766999
Red Boots

FermGael

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 13, 2012, 04:15:56 PM
Check the excess - the higher the excess you agree, the lower the premium.  Conversely, low premiums offered usually mean a large excess.
only a £300 excess so not to bad but have never heard of then before.
you know what they say about things being to good to be true....
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Billys Boots

Ask who's underwriting the policy - it can only be one of the big firms (Lloyds, Travellers, St. Louis, Axa etc.), otherwise run a mile.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

screenexile

Quote from: redboots on August 13, 2012, 04:21:24 PM
caulfield insurance 02886766999

No! Axadirect are cheaper anyway . . .