Another Bandwagon To Jump On

Started by ludermor, January 19, 2010, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Eamon De Valera (if he was alive) may have a view on this one

Minder

His father is "100% Irish" and his mother has both Norwegian and Austrian blood. According to the Times he speaks in "clipped Germanic tones" and is based in Stuttgart.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longrunsthefox

Good for him. I remember crowd at Clones one summer gathered around listening to some Irish man in a rowing semi-final in the Olympics. Drea maybe he was called. Don't really see it as bandwagon.   

ludermor

Quote from: the colonel on January 19, 2010, 03:11:14 PM
what a ridiculous thread, fair play to the guy. whats the problem? i doubt there will be a bandwagon as he will more than likely get beat in next round
Who said there was a f**king problem! I started the thread to highlight he had won a match and my forecasted media attention!. I called it a bandwagon because it will be in the media for the next week ot two and after which it will revert to small paragraghs in the middle of other sports.

muppet

Quote from: Declan on January 19, 2010, 11:33:44 AM
Remember his father - Sean Sorensen. Decent player himself and I seem to recall him giving McEnroe a game in the early 80's

Game of what? Darts?

More seriously did he & Matt Doyle play McEnroe + A.N.Other in Davis Cup?
MWWSI 2017

Treasurer

Quote from: Declan on January 19, 2010, 11:33:44 AM
Remember his father - Sean Sorensen. Decent player himself and I seem to recall him giving McEnroe a game in the early 80's

I was wondering if he was his Dad, I feel old  :(

Asal Mor

Quote from: ludermor on January 19, 2010, 03:38:43 PM
Quote from: the colonel on January 19, 2010, 03:11:14 PM
what a ridiculous thread, fair play to the guy. whats the problem? i doubt there will be a bandwagon as he will more than likely get beat in next round
Who said there was a f**king problem! I started the thread to highlight he had won a match and my forecasted media attention!. I called it a bandwagon because it will be in the media for the next week ot two and after which it will revert to small paragraghs in the middle of other sports.

In fairness Luder ya said nothing wrong but people are so eager to get into hysterics about racism they jump straight onto the high horse. Lighten up lads. It's as bad as the Joe Duffy show on here sometimes.

dublinfella

[quote author=Asal Mor link=topic=15145.msg717160#msg717160

In fairness Luder ya said nothing wrong but people are so eager to get into hysterics about racism they jump straight onto the high horse. Lighten up lads. It's as bad as the Joe Duffy show on here sometimes.
[/quote]

Its got nothing to do with racism. The original post was dripping with begrudgery and smacked of the attitude that a successful Irishman in another sport is a negative for the GAA.

Asal Mor

I checked the original post again. I'm just not seeing the begrudery and attitude you're talking about.

the colonel

i am not seeing the bandwagon in the media either other than a short mention on skysports news
the difference between success and failure is energy

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2010, 03:31:33 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 19, 2010, 01:44:12 PM
It's just about as racist an attitude as you can get, to question somebody's nationality based on their name. Chilling and smacks of nazi-type racial purity ideology.

Reminds me of the slagging some fella from Wicklow or Kildare got. He wasn't really Irish because his name was very colonial/English. This despite the fact that he's slogging away in muck and shite to represent his county.

Stuart McKenzie-Smith? The odd poster still has a pop at his name.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Not him Dinny, there was another, I think he was the Wicklow goalkeeper or something?

Asal Mor

Anyway, well done Louk on your great achievement. Hopefully there's more to come.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2010, 04:32:52 PM
Not him Dinny, there was another, I think he was the Wicklow goalkeeper or something?

Yes - Mervyn Travers. His name caused some ignorant comment here, I recall.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on January 19, 2010, 04:45:04 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 19, 2010, 04:32:52 PM

Yes - Mervyn Travers. His name caused some ignorant comment here, I recall.

Really? Even allowing for the pleb factor I don't see why this name would attract any attention.

Did he have a handle-bar moustache and smoke a pipe during games?
MWWSI 2017