McKenna Cup - at what entry fee will you stop attending?

Started by thewobbler, January 17, 2010, 12:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McKenna Cup - at what entry fee will you stop attending?

£7
7 (13.7%)
£8
3 (5.9%)
£9
8 (15.7%)
£10
6 (11.8%)
£11
2 (3.9%)
£12
6 (11.8%)
I'll always go
19 (37.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 17, 2010, 08:03:49 PM
Quote from: Gold on January 17, 2010, 05:29:13 PM
£9 for the slow, pedestrian, inevitably error- riden early season fare on show is a disgrace

Its the McKenna Cup, you know what you are getting before you go. Its not going to be championship pace, its not going to be hard hitting, as a lot of other posters have already said its not much more than a glorified friendly. But £9 isn't really a great deal of money in this day and age, I am sure you would pay more in to watch Larne v Newry. There were roughly 4000 at last nights game in Newry, not a bad turn out for what many class as an over priced friendly. We`ll probably have more there on Wednesday evening.

I wouldnt watch larne and newry if they were playing in the back garden
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 17, 2010, 08:16:32 PM
£9 for the slow, pedestrian, inevitably error- riden early season fare on show is a disgrace

Its the McKenna Cup, you know what you are getting before you go. Its not going to be championship pace, its not going to be hard hitting, as a lot of other posters have already said its not much more than a glorified friendly. But £9 isn't really a great deal of money in this day and age, I am sure you would pay more in to watch Larne v Newry. There were roughly 4000 at last nights game in Newry, not a bad turn out for what many class as an over priced friendly. We`ll probably have more there on Wednesday evening.

Just what I was about to say - I wouldn't pay more in to watch Larne v Newry. I wouldn't watch it if I was paid £9. And maybe the fact that nobody attends Irish League games only adds more weight to the argument that £9 is too much.

But yes, have to agree with the general feeling - £9 is ridiculous and unnecessary.

One improvement this year is that the programmes have numbers against players. Also good that it was only £1.

With regard to the sponsor, how much money do they put in and where does it go? It definitely doesn't subsidise the admission fee.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 17, 2010, 01:10:45 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2010, 01:04:34 AM
But until there's a notable effect on attendances, I'll put my hands up and say I'm wrong.

How many were at tonight's game? three or four thousand maybe? Obviously those who went tonight didn't think £9 was too much. Also it was free for under 16s.
I am sure there was a decent crowd in Crossmaglen this afternoon as well so obviously the paying public don't think the admission fee is too strong.

people wouldnt be aware of price before game.if i knew it £9 in,probably wouldnt have went as it is a glorified friendly. it took me an hour to get to cross, so said f**k it im here now anyway

comeontheredhands

35p per point to watch the red hands, and the ranch points thrown in for free - some value

Lazer

I think the £9 admission is way too much

Thats £27 in one week to watch all 3 McKenna cup matches - madness.

The GAA are out to get the dedicated supporters - as that is the only ones attending the McKenna cup matches

Also - I don't see the logic of no student discount in the one competition that actually has university teams in it

Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

haranguerer

I think thats precisely the logic of the Ulster council...

Its a disgrace - a fiver would be plenty. I was definitely heading to the QUB Antrim game on wed night (as a neutral) until I heard those prices. Just chancing their arm. And why isnt it clear before games? It happens so often that noone has any notion how much they're going to be charged in, whether theres student rate, etc.

There'll be noone at these wed night games I reckon, unless the prices are dropped. Which, incidentally, i could see happening: the Ulster council chancing their arm at the first game knowing they'll have to drop it for the rest of the games, so they appear to be charitable...

sammymaguire

£5/£6 is loads to watch counties try out new players, in bad weather, in a semi-competitive comp lads  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

saffron sam2

Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2010, 01:28:32 PM
I think thats precisely the logic of the Ulster council...

Its a disgrace - a fiver would be plenty. I was definitely heading to the QUB Antrim game on wed night (as a neutral) until I heard those prices. Just chancing their arm. And why isnt it clear before games? It happens so often that noone has any notion how much they're going to be charged in, whether theres student rate, etc.

There'll be noone at these wed night games I reckon, unless the prices are dropped. Which, incidentally, i could see happening: the Ulster council chancing their arm at the first game knowing they'll have to drop it for the rest of the games, so they appear to be charitable...

You'll buck the trend and get into that one free I reckon.

I'll be paying the £9 into the Marshes. Not happy.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Gaffer

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 17, 2010, 08:16:32 PM

If I ever caught them playing in my back garden I would tell them to Get Out Te Fcuk !!!!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Sidelined

It seems Benny Coulter is on the same wavelength as the fans. He thinks £9 is too much. Just read his coulmn in the Newry Democrat.

ONeill

The premise of this thread is a load of bollocks. It was £9 last year as well.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

under the bar

Small wonder you don't see couples having 8 or 10 kids any more when it's £9 a head into a McKenna cup match!   :o   And they call the GAA a family organisation?

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lazer on January 18, 2010, 12:54:54 PM

The GAA are out to get the dedicated supporters - as that is the only ones attending the McKenna cup matches

Also - I don't see the logic of no student discount in the one competition that actually has university teams in it

That, for the life of me, I can't understand....  :-[
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lazer

The £9 admission actually did stop me attending tonight!

Although i did wonder what i was missing by staying at a home.

For me its a case of choosing what games i attend, as i definately won't be at them all
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 20, 2010, 09:28:46 PM
Quote from: Lazer on January 18, 2010, 12:54:54 PM

That, for the life of me, I can't understand....  :-[
The student loans are in  :o